Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Wild animals right now:

7l49Rdh.gif

Seeing a serious uptick in the park/mini woods in my backyard the past 2 weeks.  A lot more deer and unfortunately a lot more raccoons & beavers which is a bit of an issue.  It is a nice thing to see and a bad thing. 

53 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why does the USPS need a bailout because of Corona virus?

Because they were losing money before and seems like a great time to ask. 

Both my uncles work for USPS and said they are just as busy as pre-COVID, in fact some are being asked to put in OT hours if they want with the uptick in everyone having to order things online vs in store. 

1 minute ago, acowboys62 said:

Both my uncles work for USPS and said they are just as busy as pre-COVID, in fact some are being asked to put in OT hours if they want with the uptick in everyone having to order things online vs in store. 

Ok now I might have to do some actual research 

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Ok now I might have to do some actual research 

They were in trouble way before all of this started, while I assume none of this has helped in the macro sense, certain areas are probably still operating as normal while other lag.  If they were already on a bad trajectory before all of this seems like it will expedite their fate. 

I would love to know why (in my area at least) they do not handle more amazon packages.  Nearly everything I order non amazon and non bulk seems to come from USPS, everything via amazon seems to come from UPS or one of those third parties who just rent an enterprise van. I don't even know if FedEx operates in my area anymore, we have a store but I haven't seen a truck drop off a package in months. 

35 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't need a break down of where the money goes. That's a pre existing problem. I didn't know that mail was down that much.

The postal service has a lot more problems than the virus. I just wasn't sure if it was an add in or if they were hurting because of the pandemic

I don't think they would be hurting as far as business is concerned.  More people are ordering things online right now, and USPS handles some of that.  Bills are still coming in, non-profits are still asking for money, mail is being sent back to senders for businesses being closed and it's still tax season and some are still sending their taxes in.  Taxes will now be spread out, as well as the stimulus checks coming in. 

15 minutes ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

USPS is trash anyway lmao

Replace it with something better idc

you can send a 10-20 pound package 2000 miles for ~20$ and it gets there in 3 days, even to the most remote nobody else in 10 miles farm in the middle of nowhere.

what do you honestly think could be better?  I mean yes, they have flaws and problems.  But there's a reason that mail was instituted as a non-profit government service.

Edited by SlevinKelevra
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

the plural of anecdote is ...   bovine feces.  While your uncles might be in a particular region where there is need for surplus hours per employee, that has nothing to do with the current problem

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/statements/041020-pmg-statement-on-usps-stimulus-needs.htm

https://facts.usps.com/table-facts/

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/agency-oversight/2020/04/postmaster-general-usps-will-run-out-of-cash-this-fiscal-year-without-more-pandemic-funding/

Edited by SlevinKelevra

1 hour ago, SlevinKelevra said:

you can send a 10-20 pound package 2000 miles for ~20$ and it gets there in 3 days, even to the most remote nobody else in 10 miles farm in the middle of nowhere.

what do you honestly think could be better?  I mean yes, they have flaws and problems.  But there's a reason that mail was instituted as a non-profit government service.

Don't forget about APO/FPO/DPO. The USPS gets mail oversees to deployed troops in areas that are impossible for UPS, FedEx, etc to get to.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I question what doing this for even just a few months would do (end of July/June) and if that would be worth it. The average cash buffer for small businesses is about 27 days (https://www.npr.org/2020/03/16/816398498/america-closed-thousands-of-stores-resorts-theaters-shut-down) and most areas haven’t been quarantining for half that time and we’re already closing in on a million lost jobs.

I hope your wife’s work is able to secure that small business loan soon (unless they have already and I misunderstood you, if so then wonderful). Unfortunately as you mentioned the system is overwhelmed and businesses all over the country can’t secure it either. It’s been up and running for less than a week and 30% of the funding has already been used up. Not every small business is going to get help either with the system bottlenecked and funds rapidly depleting already, especially when you see the Senate failing to pass additional funding (250 billion was the proposition) to the program. Relying on the government was terrible before this. Relying on it during this is will likely be worse.

Cases seemed to have peaked as a whole in the US. I personally hope we take the Spain route and start to relax the lockdowns sooner than a few or couple months while we slowly and cautiously open the economy back up.

I am hopeful that @mission27is right and that we can start relaxing certain restrictions starting sometime in May. What that looks like I do not know and can only guess. We'll see what happens with Spain, Italy, and other countries that are going to relax the lockdown first. They're basically our guinea pigs at this point for what we can and cannot do.

Yeah, my wife's work is still in the middle of securing that small business loan. We're not sure what their financials look like but I hear that they only need $2 million to last through the end of the year. I don't think that's an unreasonable amount given their small size and all. Thanks for asking! My job is a little more stable. A company email was sent out to everyone letting them know that there will be no layoffs through June 30th. What happens after that, I'm not sure. Also doesn't mean I can't be furloughed either. Needless to say, I want this whole pandemic to be over soon as well. But there's nothing I can do about it. What gets me through is the positives so far.

I understand what you mean about having to rely on the government before and during this whole crisis. Unfortunately, this is something that the individual and local/state level cannot handle on their own. So it's a necessity at this point. I am less frustrated with the systems bottleneck issue currently happening than I was with their initial underreaction to this virus. Probably because I do not see any private entity being able to deal with the massive surge of people applying any better. I'm also giving them a break since the current party in charge is traditionally more small government and laisezz faire, and now they're forced to be more big government. Not an easy transition to say the least. With that being said, how I suddenly wished that our current government was more like FDR's when it came to dealing with a crisis. But that's as political as I want to get without getting this thread closed.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Don't forget about APO/FPO/DPO. The USPS gets mail oversees to deployed troops in areas that are impossible for UPS, FedEx, etc to get to.

Good point, for those who want to do away with the USPS...

Just another instance of people who claim to "support the troops" but don't.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I am hopeful that @mission27is right and that we can start relaxing certain restrictions starting sometime in May. What that looks like I do not know and can only guess. We'll see what happens with Spain, Italy, and other countries that are going to relax the lockdown first. They're basically our guinea pigs at this point for what we can and cannot do.

Yeah, my wife's work is still in the middle of securing that small business loan. We're not sure what their financials look like but I hear that they only need $2 million to last through the end of the year. I don't think that's an unreasonable amount given their small size and all. Thanks for asking! My job is a little more stable. A company email was sent out to everyone letting them know that there will be no layoffs through June 30th. What happens after that, I'm not sure. Also doesn't mean I can't be furloughed either. Needless to say, I want this whole pandemic to be over soon as well. But there's nothing I can do about it. What gets me through is the positives so far.

I understand what you mean about having to rely on the government before and during this whole crisis. Unfortunately, this is something that the individual and local/state level cannot handle on their own. So it's a necessity at this point. I am less frustrated with the systems bottleneck issue currently happening than I was with their initial underreaction to this virus. Probably because I do not see any private entity being able to deal with the massive surge of people applying any better. I'm also giving them a break since the current party in charge is traditionally more small government and laisezz faire, and now they're forced to be more big government. Not an easy transition to say the least. With that being said, how I suddenly wished that our current government was more like FDR's when it came to dealing with a crisis. But that's as political as I want to get without getting this thread closed.

i'm too lazy to page back all the way through the thread. I've seen the color-coded tables,

but link me to the page where the methodology is posted/explained

18 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

i'm too lazy to page back all the way through the thread. I've seen the color-coded tables,

but link me to the page where the methodology is posted/explained

We keep that one close to the vest tbh

No need to litigate the intricacies of our mode with folks

We believe in it and it’s proved 100% accurate so far