Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, rob_shadows said:

So with all this rushing for a vaccine, multiple companies saying they could be ready by the end of the year, etc... It's left me with one glaring question.

Do we really wanna be taking a vaccine that's been rushed through development? We will have absolutely no idea if it has any negative long term effects.

Has this ever happened before? A vaccine being pushed out before it could be properly tested for potential long term effects and such?

See: I Am Legend.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Glen said:

Again

You go out to crowded bars because you’re not concerned. You get the virus. But ultimately are fine.

We work together where you give me the virus unintentionally while you’re asymptomatic.

I go home and give the virus to grandma despite staying home as best I can & limiting my social interactions.

Grandma dies.

womp womp

Everyone has to make a judgement call based on their relative risk and risk to loved ones and what they can personally do.  You cant ask everyone else on the planet to make massive sacrifices because of your own personal situation. 

If you live with someone who is high risk and have no choice not to see that person I understand why you may prefer to stay home longer and would be supportive of longer term unemployment benefits for people who are truly in that camp (not just people who are too scared or lazy to work so decide hey I'll move in with grandma), but the vast majority of Americans are not either 80+ or living with someone who is 80+ and need to start getting back to their lives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

So with all this rushing for a vaccine, multiple companies saying they could be ready by the end of the year, etc... It's left me with one glaring question.

Do we really wanna be taking a vaccine that's been rushed through development? We will have absolutely no idea if it has any negative long term effects.

Has this ever happened before? A vaccine being pushed out before it could be properly tested for potential long term effects and such?

The protection from a vaccine should last years, but the vaccine itself is only a single dose and is cleared from systemic circulation very quickly (less than a week). Therefore, we aren't concerned about clinical trials that might take longer or even nonclinical studies using chronic administration (the longest of which is a required 2 year carcinogencity study). This shaves years off the development process.

The Phase 3 trials will be ongoing for a while as they test how long people retain immunity, but that shouldn't hold up approval if a company can prove it worked even if the immunity lasts 3 years instead of 10.

So yes this could happen quickly, but we aren't skipping things that are essential.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

That is interesting. Seeing a deletion that large and still having viable protein code is pretty amazing. 

Do viruses have Poly A tails? That's about the only explanation I could think of unless there are huge portions of the genome that are blanks.

Also, lets be honest with ourselves about something:

There is nothing new about having a conversation about how much cost society should willingly bare to keep elderly people alive an extra few years

This is a very taboo subject in the United States for some reason but in pretty much every other developed nation, because they have socially funded rather than privately funded healthcare, there are stricter limits on how much cost will be covered for treatments for people who are 80+ or whatever and likely only have a few years of life left.  And families are making these choices all the time.  Do I put grandma in a nursing home or do I sacrifice the next few years of my life to care for her at home?  Its a tough choice even when its your own loved one because the cost is so great and because there's a (legitimate imo) feeling that these people have lived their lives and at some point we need to move on and live ours, but on the flip side its your loved one and you shouldn't abandon them.  So its hard.  If its someone else's loved one, you probably feel a little differently.   

There's nothing wrong about that conversation.  Its a normal part of life and people have different views.  Not appropriate to demonize people over it tbh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The protection from a vaccine should last years, but the vaccine itself is only a single dose and is cleared from systemic circulation very quickly (less than a week). Therefore, we aren't concerned about clinical trials that might take longer or even nonclinical studies using chronic administration (the longest of which is a required 2 year carcinogencity study). This shaves years off the development process.

The Phase 3 trials will be ongoing for a while as they test how long people retain immunity, but that shouldn't hold up approval if a company can prove it worked even if the immunity lasts 3 years instead of 10.

So yes this could happen quickly, but we aren't skipping things that are essential.

Now, do you think it's possible to get 300 million vaccines by Jan like Trump is saying?  Fauci seems to think it's possible, though perhaps hes being quoted out of context. 

We're really going to see the best (and worst) of humanity over the course of the following year. 

Edited by WizeGuy

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I agree with you there.  And i've said time and time again that this thing is no joke.  But it's not 1918.  Our world is better equipped to distance ourselves.  A large portion of our population can work from home effectively.  Modern medicine is much better than 1918.  There are reasons to be optimistic.  And i don't understand or agree with publishing fear narratives to keep people from doing safe things.  I don't believe that's helpful.

We also don't have soldiers heading off to/returning from war and spreading the virus like we did back then either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Now, do you think it's possible to get 300 million vaccines by Jan like Trump is saying?  Fauci seems to think it's possible, though perhaps hes being quoted out of context. 

We're really going to see the best (and worst) of humanity over the course of the following year. 

I'm not a GMP expert by any stretch but the first rule of thumb in biologics (drugs made by other organisms, which many of these vaccine candidates are) is what can go wrong will go wrong.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, D82 said:

Delivered 140 packages yesterday on just my route. Sunday every route (usually includes about 5) had over 200. This is Christmas volume right now. 

I started collecting baseball cards again, and it's super interesting how prices have gone up.  It's one of the few things people with disposable income can buy right now, and all of that stuff goes through USPS primarily.  I follow Buy and Sell threads on Twitter and more items are being sold recently than since I started watching them over a year ago.  The Chicago Bulls documentary has spiked Bulls cards and memorabilia.  And this is the time of year that many NFL teams are doing charity work/auctions, so those things are being bought up and sent out.  The other sports leagues are doing some of the same by emptying their inventories. 

3 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Not NJ baby, we go extreme! 

Well, tbf, you guys actually had an outbreak whereas California never did and probably didnt need to lockdown for more than 2 weeks (to deal with the large influx of people fleeing the northeast at the peak of the outbreak there) 

So I think its fair for NY/NJ/CT/MA to wait an extra 2-3 weeks to open up because the risk of that area of the country opening up too soon is higher given the higher number of cases in circulation

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I started collecting baseball cards again, and it's super interesting how prices have gone up.  It's one of the few things people with disposable income can buy right now, and all of that stuff goes through USPS primarily.  I follow Buy and Sell threads on Twitter and more items are being sold recently than since I started watching them over a year ago.  The Chicago Bulls documentary has spiked Bulls cards and memorabilia.  And this is the time of year that many NFL teams are doing charity work/auctions, so those things are being bought up and sent out.  The other sports leagues are doing some of the same by emptying their inventories. 

I mean, on one hand I'm loving the income and hours, I'm on pace to make probably $45-60k this year which is more money I've ever made in my lifetime. But on the other hand, this is supposed to be our "lull" period where we sort of recover from the Christmas rush and prepare for the upcoming rush starting in September/October. As a CCA (non-career employee), I get one day off a week. So, yeah...I'm physically drained. 

Just now, D82 said:

I mean, on one hand I'm loving the income and hours, I'm on pace to make probably $45-60k this year which is more money I've ever made in my lifetime. But on the other hand, this is supposed to be our "lull" period where we sort of recover from the Christmas rush and prepare for the upcoming rush starting in September/October. As a CCA (non-career employee), I get one day off a week. So, yeah...I'm physically drained. 

Damn... good to see running the corona task force comes with a raise

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-hhschief-speci/special-report-former-labradoodle-breeder-was-tapped-to-lead-us-pandemic-task-force-idUSKCN2243CE