Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 hours ago, D82 said:

Ha...ha ha...ha ha ha. 

If people think we can sue China for a naturally occurring virus...then we better get ready to be sued by a lot of countries for the **** we've done. 

It escaped from the viral lab though

sure it occurs naturally, but this was released intentionally or accidentally 

Also there’s more people in the world than just the United States. Plenty of other countries got hit hard by this.

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Also there’s more people in the world than just the United States. Plenty of other countries got hit hard by this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Total coincidence obviously

43 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

We don't know if it did escape from a lab though. That's currently as accurate as saying someone ate a bat. Given Wuhan's proximity to bat caves, it may have been only a matter of time before something like this happened.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/23/841729646/virus-researchers-cast-doubt-on-theory-of-coronavirus-lab-accident

China's crime was downplaying how dangerous and contagious the virus is.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D82 said:

so Just a coincidence that a level 4 containment lab working on coronaviruses just happens to be down the block? In a country that has wet markets all over the place, it’s the city with the Viral lab that is the epicenter?

Chinas secrecy doesn’t help itself either especially since it’s had problems with a different Corona strain(SARS) Escaping from Labs before

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

We don't know if it did escape from a lab though. That's currently as accurate as saying someone ate a bat. Given Wuhan's proximity to bat caves, it may have been only a matter of time before something like this happened.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/23/841729646/virus-researchers-cast-doubt-on-theory-of-coronavirus-lab-accident

China's crime was downplaying how dangerous and contagious the virus is.

Exactly so just like I said in my original post, no culpability for China then? Even though they’ve lied, downplayed, and blamed others for this problem? 

and they reopened Wet Markets again like no problem in the world. It’s not like it could’ve helped spawn a pandemic or anything. Which again makes me believe their’s more to this then just Bat Soup.

42 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Exactly so just like I said in my original post, no culpability for China then? Even though they’ve lied, downplayed, and blamed others for this problem? 

and they reopened Wet Markets again like no problem in the world. It’s not like it could’ve helped spawn a pandemic or anything. Which again makes me believe their’s more to this then just Bat Soup.

Did you read what I posted? More than likely it was something that happened in nature. Maybe it'll be proven to be wrong and it did come from a wet market or a lab accident. But until otherwise, maybe we should hold off on the conspiracy theories for now.

Rather, the experts interviewed by NPR all believe that the virus was transmitted between animals and humans in nature, as has happened in previous outbreaks — from Ebola to the Marburg virus — and with other known coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS.

"The real risk is in the wild in the way people interact with wildlife around the world," says Peter Daszak, president of EcoHealth Alliance in New York City, a group that researches the origins of pandemics. "That's where we need to be focused if we want to really do something about preventing the next pandemic."

Many questions remain about how, exactly, the coronavirus known officially as SARS-CoV-2 began to spread in people. Its closest genetic cousin so far is another coronavirus found in Chinese horseshoe bats. Researchers believe SARS-CoV-2 likely made its way to people directly through bats or through an intermediate animal. Early focus on the source of the outbreak in Wuhan was on a major seafood market that also sold wild animals, though conclusive evidence proving the market was the origin of the virus has yet to emerge.

Regardless, genetic analysis shows the virus began to spread sometime in the fall or winter of 2019, says Robert Garry, a microbiologist at Tulane University. Those same analyses refuted an earlier theory that the virus was genetically engineered in a laboratory. Garry says the reason is simple — the virus infects people in a way that scientists had never seen before: "The virus is just really too good at what it's doing," he says. "No human using a computer could do this. This is very clearly a natural process that occurred." In addition, he says, there are no signs of human genetic modification in the virus's code.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Sweet Tomatoes closing for good. That sucks.

My family loves that place. But buffets in general were going the way of the dinosaurs. This pandemic just expedite it.

30 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

It should be noted that the US government, like Chinese government, also did not take the virus threat seriously at first either. It's why we're in lockdown while places like Singapore are out partying now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I mean... Didn't we already know that? I don't think anyone actually thought the 30 million+ unemployment applications were from people who are actually unemployed, lol.

I mean the hope is that most displacements were temporary anyways. That we would just bounce back once the economy reopens slowly. Whether that actually happens is another question altogether like @naptownskinsfan already mentioned. Additionally, I think the quote just captures the American spirit in overcoming adversity.

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It should be noted that the US government, like Chinese government, also did not take the virus threat seriously at first either. It's why we're in lockdown while places like Singapore are out partying now.

Damn those greedy people in Singapore

• Like 1

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

When you read all of the press releases about hospitals furloughing employees, they say that those with seniority will be asked to fulfill and be cross-trained in those roles to help the stress on the current group.  

However, I have to say, a pandemic is not the right time to train a whole lot of people on how things work in the ICU or ER.  Maybe nurses who assist with surgeries, but how many of these people are front-desk admin types, or recovery nurses, or just the nurses who check your blood pressure and vitals when you come in?  It's a whole different job, and you have to limit who gets those- it's a lot more training than just saying "shadow me" for two weeks.  That is malpractice waiting to happen. 

Plus, there just isn't going to be the hours for those people.  All of the field hospitals are closing up, hospitals are actually restarting elective surgery because the waves just have not happened in most places.  

I'm glad that they are restarting elective surgery. Unfortunately, this pandemic has also revealed a lot of our core weaknesses as a country. One of them IMO is our over reliance on something like elective surgery to fund hospitals. I highlighted that quote because I think there should be a better way to do things. But obviously, it's not something that you can redo over night and there are challenges like you mentioned.

35 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I'm glad that they are restarting elective surgery. Unfortunately, this pandemic has also revealed a lot of our core weaknesses as a country. One of them IMO is our over reliance on something like elective surgery to fund hospitals. I highlighted that quote because I think there should be a better way to do things. But obviously, it's not something that you can redo over night and there are challenges like you mentioned.

If you looked at a pie chart of what people used hospitals for, elective surgery is probably pretty high on the list.  Just like restaurants who solely focused on dining-in are struggling during this time more than ones who already did some carry out or third party delivery system.  

My stepfather is waiting for "elective" surgery, but at some point it would become necessary.  So there is that too.  

• Like 1