Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes, and they haven't done much to distance themselves from it besides this statement.  Not tying it to any timeline is just as bad.  

Doesnt seem realistic tbh

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Ah yes TLO I'm sure the difference between LA and New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, DC, etc. is your governor shutting things down a whole 2 days earlier than everyone else... not the fact that LA is warm, spread out, and has no subways and those other cities are cool, cramped, and have subways 

And I'm sure Florida, Texas, and the rest of the warm, spread out areas of the country that didn't institute as harsh measures and/or re-opened sooner just got lucky? 

I’m not saying LA doesn’t have other positive factors, just that we have had a sufficiently good response by our public officials who don’t wanna risk blowing up any progress so people can eat at a full capacity restaurant in May as opposed to August or September. And that’s not taking into account that places are going to be reopening as we go, as they have been doing. I don’t see the issue. Places are open. I can leave my house as I do daily. We aren’t under house arrest here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TLO said:

I’m not saying LA doesn’t have other positive factors, just that we have had a sufficiently good response by our public officials who don’t wanna risk blowing up any progress so people can eat at a full capacity restaurant in May as opposed to August or September. And that’s not taking into account that places are going to be reopening as we go, as they have been doing. I don’t see the issue. Places are open. I can leave my house as I do daily. We aren’t under house arrest here. 

3 months of paychecks could be meaningful to some people

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You answered this more or less already:

Fauci is playing the odds. Remember that in this hypothetical, he's talking about resuming football with the virus relatively under control, not like we have now. So there are going to be a relatively small number of new cases coming up, and ideally we'd be tracking who has contact with everyone. Let's walk through the 4 different scenarios:

• If you have 1 person on a football team test positive, they didn't get it from anyone else on the team since no one else tested positive.
    • In this case it would make sense to quarantine that one person and other people they have had contact with, but the problem isn't necessarily in the team yet since the player got it from somewhere else.
  • If you have 2 people who test positive, again we don't know where they got it, but they could have come in contact with the first person who tested positive or they could have gotten it from someone else.
    • In this case, what makes the most sense might depend. If you go back and look at everyone that player had contact with it turned out they had to have been infected from the first person on the team who tested positive, then you might want to react by quarantining the team, but that definitely doesn't have to be the case. If you could show the 2nd person didn't get it from the first, then you could try and quarantine both players and let the rest of the team keep going .
  • If you have 3 people, now there are 2 other football players/staff who might have given it to the player.
    • In this case, whatever the odds of infection being spread through the team were when you only had 2 people test positive, they are now nominally twice as high since that 3rd positive test could have come from contact with either the first or second player.
  • When you get to 4 people, the odds of the transmission of the virus being from football-related contact keep going up and up.

Basically, as the number of cases increases, so does the likelihood that the transmission came as a result of football. Once that likelihood gets too high, then that would trigger a quarantine of the football complex for a few weeks to stop the spread, then you'd re-start.

That all makes sense. It still seems like there is some gray area where someone will have to make some decisions that could go either way

• Like 1

So lets put something in perspective for my area again.

xT0VoRb.png

Things are finally starting to improve, however today there's been a massive spike... just one thing.

18 cases reported yesterday.
164 today.... 128 of which are from long term care facilities, not even including the staff. So basically the only hold up for us now seems to be the damn retirement communities. If we don't reopen at the next date presented by the governor Tom Wolf of June 4th, then I'm gonna go drive up to the mayor's office and protest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

xT0VoRb.png

Things are finally starting to improve, however today there's been a massive spike... just one thing.

164 today.... 128 of which are from long term care facilities, not even including the staff. So basically the only hold up for us now seems to be the damn retirement communities. If we don't reopen at the next date presented by the governor Tom Wolf of June 4th, then I'm gonna go drive up to the mayor's office and protest.

Damn old people...they need to hurry up and die so I can get my hair did

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

xT0VoRb.png

Its a blip tbh.  There are always going to be days you see a lot of cases because some group of tests was processed and/or reported in a batch. 

Chicago had the same thing today (over 4k cases in Illinois, by far an all-time high, in the midst of a general downward trend in cases and deaths). 

Overall, things are getting much better in the major metros in the northeast and midwest especially over the past week, as the MoL predicted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

Damn old people...they need to hurry up and die so I can get my hair did

Did anyone say they need to die? No. They need to be secluded and no visitations permitted. almost 2 million people in Pennsylvania alone are out of work since the start of the closures, not to mention there's already been irreparable damage to countless small businesses. Are we going to continue to harm everyone when we can just section off the places that are likely to be hit hard? 

• Like 2

But we are going to have 200k cases per day and 3k deaths per day in 2 weeks right? 

Right??

I feel like some people are actively rooting against these numbers getting better which is sad.  Wont name names.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Did anyone say they need to die? No. They need to be secluded and no visitations permitted. almost 2 million people in Pennsylvania alone are out of work since the start of the closures, not to mention there's already been irreparable damage to countless small businesses. Are we going to continue to harm everyone when we can just section off the places that are likely to be hit hard? 

Amen 

This is a disease that devastates particular groups of people and is worst in very predictable settings 

We should be able to ease restrictions for the majority of people while ramping up precautions for these groups and settings and thats what the smart leaders (e.g. Governor Cuomo, who the MoL have gained a tremendous amount of respect for although we always admired him a great deal) are proposing

• Like 3