Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Free:

Disease modelers are wary of
reopening the country. Here’s
how they arrive at their verdict.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/disease-modeling-coronavirus-cases-reopening/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

Should be free:

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The only reason that temperature and humidity wouldn't slow Covid-19 is because it's the first year of the virus and there still isn't enough immunity to make a difference. 

*will slow, wont stop

If the flu had an R0 of 5 or 6 it wouldn't stop in the summer, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't slow down

9 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Disease modelers are wary of
reopening the country. Here’s
how they arrive at their verdict.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/disease-modeling-coronavirus-cases-reopening/

I just find these kind of headlines a little bit unhelpful because the alternative is never outlined.  Its easy to say "if we re-open (whatever that means) there will be more cases (whatever that means)" but people making those kind of statements without explaining what their preferred path, timeline, etc. is are really not being constructive and just throwing bombs

Re-opening the country will lead to more carbon emissions and car accidents too, if we all stayed home forever everyone would be super safe.  The world is a dangerous place and folks who have tunnel vision and are only focused on # of coronavirus cases may not be properly weighing the pros and cons of indefinite lockdown, especially if they refuse to acknowledge that tradeoff or really explain what their proposed solution is

Btw the article itself is actually pretty solid and worth a read.  Maybe what it comes down to is people who write headlines are morons / bad people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really not sure what your point is.  Science says that warmer temperatures and humidity slows the spread of the flu and other colds/illnesses.  The only reason that temperature and humidity wouldn't slow Covid-19 is because it's the first year of the virus and there still isn't enough immunity to make a difference.  Yet you only pop up in this thread to trash @mission27 or anyone else when they bring up seasonality.  It's like your own personal bat signal.  

If you look at the numbers, the states that are still struggling with cases are ones in colder climates, including the DMV area which has been much colder than usual.  Minnesota is the worst, and they are still at the end of their winter season and could still get snow.  Meanwhile, Georgia and Florida numbers look very good despite being opened up.  

Also, not sure if you've ever been to Maryland, but try 100 degree and 100% humidity days.  It is oppressive.  I'll take 110 and no humidity in Texas any day of the week.  

Just cause rhinoviruses and other coronaviruses have seasonal effects doesnt mean that this one does.  In fact scientists at johns hopkins and other top notch research institutions have said the seasonal aspect of this disease is nothing compred to other social measures such as masks and social disrancing.

and yeah for as much **** @mission27 gave me for bein wrong of course im gonna bring it back in his face for being a dumbass and givin people a dose of what they want to hear instead of the slighyly less rosy truth. Especially since 1) mods and webby wont/didnt push back on his pseudo science mol bull that people take seriously 2) hes incapable of admitting hes wrong 3) hes wrong 

there are reasons to be hopeful - long term immunity is one, masks work is another.  The heat has a positive yet marginal effect when compared to other factors, but its funny to see @mission27 @TLO cling to it 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Just cause rhinoviruses and other coronaviruses have seasonal effects doesnt mean that this one does.  In fact scientists at johns hopkins and other top notch research institutions have said the seasonal aspect of this disease is nothing compred to other social measures such as masks and social disrancing.

and yeah for as much **** @mission27 gave me for bein wrong of course im gonna bring it back in his face for being a dumbass and givin people a dose of what they want to hear instead of the slighyly less rosy truth. Especially since 1) mods and webby wont/didnt push back on his pseudo science mol bull that people take seriously 2) hes incapable of admitting hes wrong 3) hes wrong 

there are reasons to be hopeful - long term immunity is one, masks work is another.  The heat has a positive yet marginal effect when compared to other factors, but its funny to see @mission27 @TLO cling to it 

Can’t take this thread too seriously at this point. It’s like a freak circus circa the late 19th century.

9 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Can’t take this thread too seriously at this point. It’s like a freak circus circa the late 19th century.

Which is messed up because its obviously still a big problem, and the only thread in this forums existence that is actually talking about something that is actually meaninfgul in the world

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

Which is messed up because its obviously still a big problem, and the only thread in this forums existence that is actually talking about something that is actually meaninfgul in the world

I thought we'd all be dead by now anyway so who cares

22 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Just because the sun rises every day doesn't mean it will rise tomorrow.  And scientists have told us the sun will not turn Antarctica into a tropical paradise.  So the sun will not rise tomorrow and even if I'm wrong and it does it will have no impact on temperature. 

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yep

Yeah ive said multiple times i didnt think this was a himanity ending event and it would hve a fatality rate of 2 percent which was simply the Best scientists early estimates.  I was worried about food shortsges and lockdowns, both of which came.  So, uh, good one you got me