Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

29 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I have a school question.

How much would health insurance concerns sway re-opening?

As in, districts have a reason to believe their premiums will spike now or in the future if the schools reopen?

The honest answer is that the local officials making re-open decisions are unlikely to consider it.  Education is beyond the wheelhouse for many school boards, let alone projections in the healthcare sector.

Premiums may go up, but I imagine there would be some type of premium control measure instituted as a government flex.  We have done it before, and we have much more capacity to twist the hand of the healthcare sector than the last twenty years would suggest.

Even if they became exorbitant, most contracts have some burden-shifting pre-negotiated.  So, if premium goes out of control, Union helps with healthcare premium while Management finds comparable healthcare options.

Biggest difference is likely going to be teachers actually going for the good healthcare options instead of high deductible.

Edited by SwAg
  • Like 2

And Florida officially takes the one day record from NY:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/12/890216415/florida-smashes-u-s-state-record-of-daily-new-cases-more-than-15-200

Florida reported 15,299 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, marking the largest single-day increase of any state since the start of the pandemic. 

Sunday's numbers exceed New York's peak of more than 12,200 new cases in one day back in April, when it was the epicenter of the outbreak.

“If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India," Reuters noted.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I have a school question.

How much would health insurance concerns sway re-opening?

As in, districts have a reason to believe their premiums will spike now or in the future if the schools reopen?

We have a government grant/FMLA medical completely separate for a positive or immediate family positive test. We use 0% of our sick leave or insurance for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What is your definition of flatten? It was never going to be a horizontal line unless we stop testing for coronavirus 

I mean the lowest daily death total since April is like 300 on July 4th, the next lowest death rate was 1000. We never flattened it.

Edited by MookieMonstah

7 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean the lowest daily death total since April is like 300 on July 4th, the next lowest death rate was 1000. We never flattened it.

It was also over 2000 for a while

Are you saying the total deaths would have to up would have to go up less each day on average for the curve to be flattened?

I guess i just had a different impression of what they meant by that

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

It was also over 2000 for a while

Are you saying the total deaths would have to up would have to go up less each day on average for the curve to be flattened?

I guess i just had a different impression of what they meant by that

I mean the idea was to flatten the infection rate, which we did for like a week lol.

The total deaths has been climbing and climbing.