Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, theJ said:

One key thing that's lost in all this discussion here, is that you're never going to have this discussion over Facebook, twitter, a forum, text, and maybe even the phone.  If you want to have a discussion with someone, a true discussion where they can lay out their feeling and you yours, it has to be done in person.  Literally every other format just leads to division and people digging into their beliefs.  

I'm betting both of you guys could have an honest conversation with your families that led to some change, if done in person.  And if you didn't come at them as aggressively as you do in this thread.  There's nothing like direct human interaction to soften someone up.  And there's nothing like a device of some sort between two people to make them way more aggressive than they are normally.

Hard part of being able to talk to a person is this pandemic especially if one won’t wear a mask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

In case any of yall were wondering what rural, virus denying judges and lawyers are doing now that the Supreme Court has mandated that masks are required inside the courthouse by all parties at all times, and that social distancing measures must be observed, the answer is ignore them.

DA, the Judge, and the DA's whole staff came in without masks this morning.  And by without masks, I mean they brought masks, they just didn't put them on.  Most did when court was actually in session, at least.

Also no social distancing at all.

You mean you had a chance to shout "this whole courtroom is out of order" and you didn't take it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

In case any of yall were wondering what rural, virus denying judges and lawyers are doing now that the Supreme Court has mandated that masks are required inside the courthouse by all parties at all times, and that social distancing measures must be observed, the answer is ignore them.

DA, the Judge, and the DA's whole staff came in without masks this morning.  And by without masks, I mean they brought masks, they just didn't put them on.  Most did when court was actually in session, at least.

Also no social distancing at all.

Another example of: a person can be intelligent without education, and a person can be stupid even if they are educated.

• Like 2

I think I need that Bugs Bunny gif of him cutting Florida from the rest of the US again:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/14/890756801/miami-is-becoming-the-epicenter-of-the-pandemic-expert-warns?

Dr. Lilian Abbo, an infectious disease expert at the University of Miami, said, "Miami is now the epicenter of the pandemic. What we were seeing in Wuhan [in China] ... five months ago, now we are there." Addressing the public this week, she said, "We really need your help." 

Elected officials and public health experts said the surge in cases in Florida began in mid-June and was caused by young people gathering at house parties and other locations. In recent days, doctors said the median age of people testing positive for the virus has been going up, a sign they said that young people have now spread the virus to older friends and family members.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You mean you had a chance to shout "this whole courtroom is out of order" and you didn't take it?

I kept quiet.  The last time I messed with a judge it nearly destroyed my entire firm.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I kept quiet.  The last time I messed with a judge it nearly destroyed my entire firm.

The prudent choice, sir.  The discretionary functions of judges are terrifying when they're pissed.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We e had this discussion before, but that’s absolutely a bucket list item for me. Or “I’ll hold YOU in contempt!” Or “I object to your objection!!!” Or “I did order the code red on Santiago!!!!”

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SwAg said:

The prudent choice, sir.  The discretionary functions of judges are terrifying when they're pissed.

Yep.  Even when they openly threaten your client in court and start a eugenics program, all in a five minute span, all recorded, and when it is ethically your duty to report him for said actions.

Make no mistake, the board of judicial conduct will not protect you.

30 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yep.  Even when they openly threaten your client in court and start a eugenics program, all in a five minute span, all recorded, and when it is ethically your duty to report him for said actions.

Make no mistake, the board of judicial conduct will not protect you.

I’m sorry but what backwards place do you live in? Because I will make sure to avoid it at all cost. And if somehow I end up there, I will make sure that you are my lawyer.

• Like 1

It’s an issue everywhere, but it’s much more explicit in rural areas, particularly the South.

You will hear some crazy ****.  Back in the early 2000s a judge coerced an attorney I work with into settling a case by calling the parties into chambers, demanding they settle, and pulling out his gun to clean at his desk while he made his demands.  That judge retired a couple years ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Tennessee.  Although you probably already guessed it was the south.

Lawyers get a lot of grief but I’m glad your clients have someone like you. 

Totally forgot if you already mentioned this but did you and family find out if you contacted Covid? 

12 minutes ago, SwAg said:

It’s an issue everywhere, but it’s much more explicit in rural areas, particularly the South.

You will hear some crazy ****.  Back in the early 2000s a judge coerced an attorney I work with into settling a case by calling the parties into chambers, demanding they settle, and pulling out his gun to clean at his desk while he made his demands.  That judge retired a couple years ago.

Oh man, sorry to hear all this. Glad you guys are still fighting the good fight against people like this.

23 minutes ago, SwAg said:

That's the most casual, southern death threat I've ever heard of.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99