Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:
6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

except that isn't what he claimed. Man, do you ever do your own even cursory research before you post?

"02% of current students would be almost 11,500 kids dead. Insane we're going to sentence almost 12k kids to death."

He's claiming 11,500 kids will die which is .02% of the student population in assuming. 

How do you interpret that?

The phrase  "would be" is critical here, since it denotes that this is a hypothetical based on the math he did, not a fact. He made some assumptions to get a back of the hand look at the worst case scenario. 

EDIT: Though, that is an underestimation of the total school-opening-related COVID-19 death rate, which as we just talked is a big deal.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

fair enough.  At this point I don't think and action is going to prevent a certain number of deaths though

keeping kids out of schools will 100% without question prevent classroom transmission. 

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That's also not what is being argued. 

Any *preventable* deaths are too many. It's nuanced, but important in this instance.

fair enough.  At this point I don't think and action is going to prevent a certain number of deaths though

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why are we comparing this to the flu?

This isn’t the flu.

But...but..death rates.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That's also not what is being argued. 

Any *preventable* deaths are too many. It's nuanced, but important in this instance.

This is the big fallacy with people advocating for reopening.  If it were just that some small percentage would die, and there was no other effect, you have an argument, at least if that number is as small as some say (which I'm bearish on).

The bigger problem isn't that it's half a percent die and the other 99.whatever percent are fine.  Because there's still the what, 5% that will have to be hospitalized for serious complications, with half or so of them having permanent problems as a result.  That number gets way bigger when you include the fact that with hospitals filled to capacity, you then get way more deaths from ordinarily treatable and non-lethal things, like heart attacks, strokes, diabetic comas, etc.  Which aren't reported in Covid numbers.

Then there's the fact that schools reopening are guaranteeing a hotbed for outbreaks to spread from.  Exponentially.

Lastly, there's the fact that if you re-open, you're going all in on staying open whether there are sick kids there or not.  Because if you open while being willing to close for outbreaks, you're essentially guaranteeing closure of all schools by about a month later.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The phrase  "would be" is critical here, since it denotes that this is a hypothetical based on the math he did, not a fact. He made some assumptions to get a back of the hand look at the worst case scenario. 

EDIT: Though, that is an underestimation of the total school-opening-related COVID-19 death rate, which as we just talked is a big deal.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I read it as if we open the schools 11,500 kids will die since he added sentencing them to death by opening the schools. I see what you are saying though

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are you going to be comfortable sending your kids to school next to kids that aren't vaccinated? Won't there still be some risk there?

I mostly just had a problem with saying that we would be sentencing. 02% of the population to death if we open the schools up when according to the current data and projections that is far from true.  

I don't have kids so but I'm guessing some kids will do better with remote learning and some will do a lot worse. I definitely think it is an option depending on the level of risk.  I don't think you can do remote learning until there is 0 risk

No...because if my kid is vaccinated he can't get it? Thats how vaccines work.

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I read it as if we open the schools 11,500 kids will die since he added sentencing them to death by opening the schools. I see what you are saying though

That is what Betsy Devos said. She said "Only .02% of students who got COVID would die", with that line of thinking we could have up to 12,500 student deaths. All of which are preventable, at least in terms of school being the cause of exposure. How is anyone okay with that? School is important, I'm a teacher so I think I understand that. I just don't see the point in putting kids in harms way for an improved education. The problem is someone said that someone else ONLY wants no school because it hurts his chances of keeping his job, and some people bought right into that line of garbage and now teachers are being dragged through political mud.

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

If they get a vaccine that's 100% effective I will be impressed

I mean your entire stance is mind boggling. If my kid is vaccinated (I dont have one), I would send him to school. A massive amount of the population would get this vaccine, so I would feel way more comfortable knowing that. Yes. I'm still not even sure what point you're trying to make.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

why?

I should say during school hours

If 1000 kids would get it from school but 950 would get it from daycare or something else anyways shouldn't it be looked at if they should just send them to school and make it as safe as possible?

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

I should say during school hours

If 1000 kids would get it from school but 950 would get it from daycare or something else anyways shouldn't it be looked at if they should just send them to school and make it as safe as possible?

You should try to mitigate any and all risks of it spreading. The stupidity of not doing this is why America is getting so effed right now.

• Like 1