Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

From what I read, normal unemployment benefits are $300 a week, yeah? $900 a week every week would be equivalent to $22.50 an hour. Seems a bit excessive. If the increased unemployment benefits are being renewed, I think it should be lessened.

32 minutes ago, Danger said:

Extending unemployment is just a duct tape and bubble gum fix. It can work if things are actually remedied in a relatively brief time frame, but continuing to try use it to patch more and more holes is just going to lead to a lot of unintended consequences if it goes on for too long.  The sooner we can reopen the better, places like Florida, Texas, Arizona, are good examples of places that need strict guidelines for now, however other locations should proceed with caution so that the amount of duct tape needed is diminished.

I absolutely agree that it is a duct tape and bubble gum fix. The true fix is controlling the virus like other countries ie. New Zealand. Unfortunately, we messed up the reopening process and now it feels like we're back to square one, which is why the unemployment benefits are still a debate. This is what happens when you don't have a long view of the economy and go for instant gratification instead.

Edit: Florida, Texas, and Arizona were examples of places that seemed like they had no cases or very minimal, and now are hotspots when they reopened. This virus doesn't care about staying in a state's borders.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

From what I read, normal unemployment benefits are $300 a week, yeah? $900 a week every week would be equivalent to $22.50 an hour. Seems a bit excessive. If the increased unemployment benefits are being renewed, I think it should be lessened.

Does this take into account cost of living, healthcare, etc?

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

The 60% guaranteed salary in addition to the $600 per week is also what some have an issue with. Just for what it’s worth for context.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

The 60% guaranteed salary in addition to the $600 per week is also what some have an issue with. Just for what it’s worth for context.

Wait what? Let me go ask my boss to lay me off until this thing is over. I get paid way more to not work?

26 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wait what? Let me go ask my boss to lay me off until this thing is over. I get paid way more to not work?

At least you have work. My current industry is unlikely to resume this year. Anything similar isn’t hiring. So options are accepting a way lower paying job when there aren’t any or use up my emergency fund/credit until I go homeless or work resumes. 

Now I personally have a third job that I’m working so I’m ok for now. But many of my co-workers at my two main jobs aren’t as fortunate. The unemployment benefits are about the greater good and helping people through a pandemic. It’s not meant to be permanent, just get us through it. It’s only getting worse and it’s going to continue as we’re creating more poor/homeless which will will likely add to the spreading. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Danger said:

All joking aside why would you seriously never consider doing this? And this has nothing to do with ethics.

Edited by Xenos

Also more food for thought, we had roughly 2.7 million people get jobs in May and a record 4.8 million in June (the most since it was first recorded in 1939). I think more people want to work and not be on unemployment than some believe. Of course, I'm slightly bias since being on unemployment is giving me a mild case of anxiety right now, and I miss the feeling of being productive and the stability of a job.

Edited by Xenos

9 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Also more food for thought, we had roughly 2.7 million people get jobs in May and a record 4.8 million in June (the most since it was first recorded in 1939). I think more people want to work and not be on unemployment than some believe. Of course, I'm slightly bias since being on unemployment is giving me a mild case of anxiety right now, and I miss the feeling of being productive and the stability of a job.

We were created to work and get a lot of fulfillment out of it. Enjoying work is highly underrated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We were created to work and get a lot of fulfillment out of it. Enjoying work is highly underrated.

I already know for a fact I'll never retire. Having too much time on my hands would drive me nuts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

I already know for a fact I'll never retire. Having too much time on my hands would drive me nuts.

I’ll retire from my career and then transition into some other job/paid hobby. I enjoy wood working and cutting grass, so mowing at a golf course and making a kitchen table a week sounds great 👍.

• Like 1

@LETSGOBROWNIES preliminary discussions and plans for the following in Ohio:

By the survey today (all AD in OH)....my guess is the Government is in no way approve soccer and football. 

Moving track, Baseball and Softball in fall now in play. Soccer and football to spring. Lacrosse is considered a contact sport. Would have to stay in spring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES preliminary discussions and plans for the following in Ohio:

By the survey today (all AD in OH)....my guess is the Government is in no way approve soccer and football. 

Moving track, Baseball and Softball in fall now in play. Soccer and football to spring. Lacrosse is considered a contact sport. Would have to stay in spring. 

I like the out of the box thinking.

• Like 1