2020 NFL Draft

BZski

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If we believe Quinn, and if LAC wanted Tua, they would have offered something - anything - to move up. I don't believe for a second that an NFL team would fall for such obvious smokescreens, or risk losing their guy without making some sort of offer.

I'm watching the PFF recap. It depends on how the news circulates and to what level of believability there is. They're talking about the smokescreen from the Dolphins and the news they were higher up on JH. If you're LAC and you buy this and know that NYG aren't taking a QB/Gettleman doesn't historically trade down, it's a calculated risk to stay put. 

I think the whole trade situation is less about what Quinn didn’t do and more about the dolphins did. Hats off to the dolphins, they kept all their assets for rebuilding and got their guy. Kudos to them.

as far as Quinn goes, If Okudah was the target all along, then he got his guy. There were a lot of corners taken day 1. Although some like Henderson more, I believe we got the best one of a very good bunch. Nothing to shake your head about there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm watching the PFF recap. It depends on how the news circulates and to what level of believability there is. They're talking about the smokescreen from the Dolphins and the news they were higher up on JH. If you're LAC and you buy this and know that NYG aren't taking a QB/Gettleman doesn't historically trade down, it's a calculated risk to stay put. 

See, that's my issue: why would any NFL GM believe any information leaked before the draft? And, if Tua was really the guy that they wanted, why wouldn't they at least put an offer out there to be sure that they lock him up? No offer was made.

I just don't see it.

11 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

See, that's my issue: why would any NFL GM believe any information leaked before the draft? And, if Tua was really the guy that they wanted, why wouldn't they at least put an offer out there to be sure that they lock him up? No offer was made.

I just don't see it.

Nobody made an actual offer. They were never presented with anything to actually consider. It was a calculated risk and it paid off for the Dolphins and Chargers. Nobody made a trade until pick 13 (Bucs/49ers). 

We can't fault Quinn for not taking a deal that never transpired and then drafting the best player available that fits our biggest position of need. Okudah has been talked about as the second best overall defensive prospect behind Chase Young. We shouldn't be mad about this pick. This is a knock out A+. If Quinn could have gotten him at 5 or 6, this would be an A++. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If we believe Quinn, and if LAC wanted Tua, they would have offered something - anything - to move up. I don't believe for a second that an NFL team would fall for such obvious smokescreens, or risk losing their guy without making some sort of offer.

Agreed.  They would have at least thrown out a 3rd or something if they liked one that much more than the other.  I am guessing they had them close and stood pat.  They were willing to come off their picks as seen later in the draft when they came back in for Murray. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I think the whole trade situation is less about what Quinn didn’t do and more about the dolphins did. Hats off to the dolphins, they kept all their assets for rebuilding and got their guy. Kudos to them.

as far as Quinn goes, If Okudah was the target all along, then he got his guy. There were a lot of corners taken day 1. Although some like Henderson more, I believe we got the best one of a very good bunch. Nothing to shake your head about there.

I congratulate them on getting their guy and keeping their picks but I also think they fumbled the rest of their picks.  I dont like Jackson at all.  I see bust written all over him.  Igbinoghene is solid and I dont hate the pick but feel there were better CBs available.  They had a chance to do something special and I just dont like it.  If I were them I'd rather have traded 18 and a 2nd to come up and get one of the better OTs. Or given more if they needed to. Tua and one of the top 4 OTs would have been a huge upgrade and they still would likely have had another late 1st and one 2nd.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Nobody made an actual offer. They were never presented with anything to actually consider. It was a calculated risk and it paid off for the Dolphins and Chargers. Nobody made a trade until pick 13 (Bucs/49ers). 

Right. And I'm concluding that the only reason why the Chargers wouldn't make an offer is if they wanted Herbert over Tua. Which I question...

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right. And I'm concluding that the only reason why the Chargers wouldn't make an offer is if they wanted Herbert over Tua. Which I question...

Or they thought Tua would slip to them if the Dolphins did choose Herbert and bank on health over talent. If you're the Chargers and you're happy with either a) Having Tua slip to you at #6 or b) Take Herbert without giving up anything to get him... then you're staying firm and not moving. It's only if the Chargers had a strong preference on either guy AND expected they couldn't get him would they have to move up. 

Key to this thing is the giants. If the giants trade down it messes everything up for Miami and San Diego. I think they had to sell the giants to stay put. I think the only thing Quinn could be faulted for is Not selling we would take a qb at 3. That might have got them picks. It’s kind of a hard sell through when you have Stafford right there though.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I just don't see it.

I don’t either.  If a team likes a QB they go get him and they don’t take a chance that someone else grabs him.  Look at the past few QBs drafted excluding the number 1 overall pick; Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Darnold, Rosen, etc.  Teams traded up to get them.  They didn’t risk losing out on “their guy”.  I just don’t buy that they weren’t offered something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Key to this thing is the giants. If the giants trade down it messes everything up for Miami and San Diego. I think they had to sell the giants to stay put. I think the only thing Quinn could be faulted for is Not selling we would take a qb at 3. That might have got them picks. It’s kind of a hard sell through when you have Stafford right there though.

Dave Gettleman has never traded down in the first round...EVER.  Neither has Quinn.  I think teams bet on the incompetence of those two GMs and won.

• Like 1

I would have loved for us to trade down and still land Okudah at 5 or 6. That option was just not on the table for a variety of reasons. Quinn took the best guy for us, on the board and at a major position of need. He didn't force a move down for pennies on the dollar and taking anything just to move and lost out on his guy. 

This is not being a "Quinn-head" or whatever nickname we could make up for someone that is pro-Quinn. Just not going to fault a GM for taking BPA, at a position of need when there's a clear gap between this player and the next player at that position, and the analytics support this type of player in this pick range. 

• Like 2