2020 NFL Draft

BZski

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

We currently have 3 of the first 53 picks tonight. 

Trying to think of who is available (no order):

RBs: D’Andre Swift, J.K. Dobbins, Cam Akers, Jonathan Taylor, Zach Moss, Eno Benjamin, Darrynton Evans

WRs: Denzel Mims, Michael Pittman Jr. , KJ Hamler, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Devin Duvernay, Tee Higgins, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Chase Claypool

DBs: Xavier McKinney, Kristian Fulton, Trevon Diggs, Jaylon Johnson, Bryce Hall, Jeremy Chinn, Jordan Fuller, Ashtyn Davis, Kyle Dugger, Amik Robertson

DL/Edge: Ross Blacklock, Yetur Gross-Matos, AJ Epenesa, Marlon Davidson, Neville Gallimore, Julian Okwara, Josh Uche, Davon Hamilton, Leki Fotu, Logan Wilson, Justin Madubuike

OL: Josh Jones, Ezra Cleveland, Prince Tega Wanagho, Lloyd Cushenberry, Lucas Niang, Tyler Biadasz, Matt Hennessy, Robert Hunt, Matt Pratt, Shane LeMieux, Alex Taylor

Who am I missing?

Damien Lewis. 

John Simpson. 

Antoine Winfield Jr.

Lynn Bowden.

AJ Dillion

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Or they made a gamble knowing that the only team in between the Lions and their two QB prospects was Dave "Trade Down?" Gettleman. The fact that Okudah was so heavily tied to Detroit could have made an issue too. 

And that's exactly my point: when it comes to GMs and coaches, you only have 3 years to show that you can win in this league. You can't gamble on missing out on your QBOTF. if you're sold on Tua, you go and get Tua. Is it really worth gambling your employment as a head coach over a 2nd round pick?

That's why I blame Quinn: he needed to go out and set the market for Tua. If LAC really wanted Herbert more, Quinn should've been offering Tua to every single team from 7-12. I have a hard time believing that none of those teams would be interested in jumping up for a 2nd round pick. If one was, MIA would've been forced to offer their 2nd round pick to secure him.

The only explanation I would buy here is that Quinn was nervous about JAX jumping to #4 and grabbing Okudah, but Quinn didn't say that. He said that there were no offers. If that's the case, he failed at setting the market.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

And that's exactly my point: when it comes to GMs and coaches, you only have 3 years to show that you can win in this league. You can't gamble on missing out on your QBOTF. if you're sold on Tua, you go and get Tua. Is it really worth gambling your employment as a head coach over a 2nd round pick?

That's why I blame Quinn: he needed to go out and set the market for Tua. If LAC really wanted Herbert more, Quinn should've been offering Tua to every single team from 7-12. I have a hard time believing that none of those teams would be interested in jumping up for a 2nd round pick. If one was, MIA would've been forced to offer their 2nd round pick to secure him.

The only explanation I would buy here is that Quinn was nervous about JAX jumping to #4 and grabbing Okudah, but Quinn didn't say that. He said that there were no offers. If that's the case, he failed at setting the market.

No one made a firm offer. You could be right, teams could be throwing out feelers and seeing what the appetite to move is, how motivated they are, etc. Jags seem to be high on Minshew, so they weren't in need of a guy like Tua. We've got Jameis and Cam sitting out there in need of a job, which further saturates the market and reduces a teams need/desire to move around to get that QB. If Tua or Herbert weren't there at #6, Cam Newton would likely be signed as a Charger on Monday. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

No one made a firm offer. You could be right, teams could be throwing out feelers and seeing what the appetite to move is, how motivated they are, etc. Jags seem to be high on Minshew, so they weren't in need of a guy like Tua. We've got Jameis and Cam sitting out there in need of a job, which further saturates the market and reduces a teams need/desire to move around to get that QB. If Tua or Herbert weren't there at #6, Cam Newton would likely be signed as a Charger on Monday. 

I think what's being overlooked here is Tua the prospect.

If Tua is a franchise QB prospect - a truly elite player at the most important position in football - teams would be interested. Now, perhaps that's the truth: perhaps teams don't actually view Tua that way. It's absolutely possible, and would justify the lack of offers, but ask yourself: if Tua isn't a franchise QB, why did MIA feel the need to send out a constant barrage of (awful) smokescreens? They clearly wanted him to fall.

If Tua is a franchise QB prospect, someone else should've been interested. Any interest from any other party would force MIA to the table. Perhaps that says more about the way the NFL views Tua than about Quinn. It's possible.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If Tua is a franchise QB prospect - a truly elite player at the most important position in football - teams would be interested. Now, perhaps that's the truth: perhaps teams don't actually view Tua that way. It's absolutely possible, and would justify the lack of offers, but ask yourself: if Tua isn't a franchise QB, why did MIA feel the need to send out a constant barrage of (awful) smokescreens? They clearly wanted him to fall.

If Tua is a franchise QB prospect, someone else should've been interested. Any interest from any other party would force MIA to the table. Perhaps that says more about the way the NFL views Tua than about Quinn. It's possible.

This is a perfect storm

a) Lions have an elite prospect at a major position of need available to them at #3 (Okudah)

b) Tua has a major injury that is a question mark on his overall long-term health (Drops value)

c) Tua is a highly talented player, that if he can overcome injury, is an elite level talent (value)

d) COVID-19 reduces the ability for teams to get up close and personal, keeping information hazy (creates uncertainty)

e) Gettleman is not known for trades and is not in need of a QB after taking Jones last year (creates certainty of availability at 5)

So you have an injury and overall questions that aren't fully answered about a guy, making it less likely that teams will push up to take him. However, he is a high level player that can thrive if his health is good. Dolphins had their medical guy check him out and they saw his work out. With multiple picks, they decided to take the risk. Wouldn't shock me to see them take another QB later in the draft as a backup/trade option like the Redskins did with RGIII and Cousins. Then you have a team that probably doesn't really want to move down to risk losing their guy but would do it at the right price (Lions) and then a team that is known for not trading down/doesn't need a player at the position of your desired pick. 

Flores and Grier read the cards right and took a calculated risk. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

What is more valuable a consensus top 2 QB or any other draft player or position?

You may love AUDI's or whatever better than a Rolls Royce and it may be a better car, but you can always sell the Rolls Royce (before anyone knows its a lemon) and buy multiple AUDI's.

Neither does me much good if I need to tow my boat to lake today.  I'll take the thing I need today over what I might need tomorrow. Also, with Tua, you're buying high and if he gets injured, which he hasn't proved he can stay healthy yet, you just lost everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Neither does me much good if I need to tow my boat to lake today.  I'll take the thing I need today over what I might need tomorrow. Also, with Tua, you're buying high and if he gets injured, which he hasn't proved he can stay healthy yet, you just lost everything.

I think he was referring to dealing him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The fact there wasn’t a lineup of teams wanting to trade up for Tua should tell us something. 

Miami is one team. 

I think it’s fair to say that teams didn’t hold the same view of Tua that fans and media held. Why? It could be uncertainty about his physical integrity, it could be they don’t view him as an elite talent worth the cost.

If his rash of injuries doesn’t concern people, it should. 

• Like 2