Redskins sign CB Ronald Darby 1 year 4 Mil

ovfd55

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, if I were Dunbar I’d be bitter too. The guy clearly outplayed his contract and instead of the Redskins being out front of things they let him go into the last year of his deal making pennies comparative to other players at his position who perform the way he does.

From what I've seen reported, Dunbar wanted a salary increase in 2020 but also wanted the ability to hit FA next year (i.e. he didn't want an extension).  I don't know what team in their right mind would do that.

30 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Wasn’t Darby the one who got repeatedly torched by McLaurin last year? 

No.  I actually just re-watched Week 1 of last year.  It was Rasul Douglas that McLaurin was burning deep all game.

• Like 4

I don't have a problem with darby, but why on earth are we not signing him to a multi-year deal?  Just don't get it. 

Between all these 1 year deals and the normal contract expirations, we are going to have to rebuild this team next year.  Rivera can evaluate players all he wants this year and then decide who he wants to keep, but that doesn't mean he gets to keep them next year and it certainly doesn't mean he gets to keep them at a reasonable rate.  Huge turn over will never help culture.  

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

From what I've seen reported, Dunbar wanted a salary increase in 2020 but also wanted the ability to hit FA next year (i.e. he didn't want an extension).  I don't know what team in their right mind would do that.

No.  I actually just re-watched Week 1 of last year.  It was Rasul Douglas that McLaurin was burning deep all game.

No team does that, except in baseball where you have arbitration raises.  If that bolded part is true, he's got no clue how the NFL business works and is getting really bad advice from his agent.  

• Like 1

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c97ced68e4c0596fcd

Told ya’ll, lets not overreact to losing Dunny now. He’s replaced/possibly upgraded for this season. Now let’s hope Moreau becomes more consistent this year and plays how he did the second half of last year.

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't have a problem with darby, but why on earth are we not signing him to a multi-year deal?  Just don't get it. 

Between all these 1 year deals and the normal contract expirations, we are going to have to rebuild this team next year.  Rivera can evaluate players all he wants this year and then decide who he wants to keep, but that doesn't mean he gets to keep them next year and it certainly doesn't mean he gets to keep them at a reasonable rate.  Huge turn over will never help culture.  

Evaluation year for everyone in the organization.

Also, how do we not know that it wasn’t Darby’s side who didn’t want to do a one-year prove it deal bc he wasn’t getting a big long term deal like he thinks he deserves?

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

giphy.gif

We’ll find out. Darby’s problem has been injuries that caused him to not be what he should of in Philly. We’ll see if he rebounds. I remember him dislocating his ankle vs the skins shortly after he signed his contract with the Eagles, that’s a big injury. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

We’ll find out. Darby’s problem has been injuries that caused him to not be what he should of in Philly. We’ll see if he rebounds. I remember him dislocating his ankle vs the skins shortly after he signed his contract with the Eagles, that’s a big injury. 

His problem has also been being bad at covering people

• Like 2

No complaints with this move... If he's great, perfect. If he sucks, cut him.

Sure, having Dunbar here on his one year deal at roughly the same $ would be better (talent-wise), but he made it abundantly clear he was gonna continue to annoy management with his demands.

At least Darby wants to be here, otherwise he wouldn't have signed. Hopefully he stays healthy and can get enough reps to develop into what he could potentially be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Evaluation year for everyone in the organization.

Also, how do we not know that it wasn’t Darby’s side who didn’t want to do a one-year prove it deal bc he wasn’t getting a big long term deal like he thinks he deserves?

There has been a bunch of CBs available.  If Darby won't do a deal, you do a deal with another.  Why sign a free agent at all to a position of need if you don't want them to stick around?

The question we should all be asking is whether we are improving our team long term during this offseason.  And 1 year deals do not accomplish that.  I have no problem with a few stop gaps and prove it deals, but other than Fuller that is all we have done.  You can keep spinning this in a positive way, but the facts are plain.  Rivera is setting us up for a huge amount of turn over next season.  That is just the facts.  It isn't the end of the world, but it surely isn't something we should be patting him on the back for.

32 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So replace Dunbar with a guy more injury prone than him. SMH. 

And a guy who wants to be here. Kinda left that out, big difference.

Oh, and let the record show that Darby played 20 games over the last two years plus he played in the playoffs.

Dunbar only played in 18 games the last two years...

So, yeah, there’s that...