Your football mount rushmore

August4th

17 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Thought Mike Haynes was a shoo-in 

Trust me it killed me to leave him off but I looked at the question as,  How I started,  The mythical characters kind of thing as a little boy.

Haynes had more of a perfect football player going on, plus I was now a teenager.   Amazed at his skills. He was beautiful to watch.  He was my favorite player at the time computers started to showed up.

1st game I saw Mike Haynes was the Bills game when OJ got throw out in the 1stQ. I was pissed, go to the game to see him and he's tossed. That change quickly, Haynes run a punt back for 87 yards and a man crush was born.

PS Two of my worst day in my sports life.

Pats traded Haynes, I went crazy!!

Len Bias, death. My father woke me up and told me, I was in shock. Two reasons for shock.My father said something to me other than go do some chores!:D and the Celts just picked the next MJ with the  team set for future titles.  The next frigging day he's dead !!!!!!!!

Last but not least.  My favorite 4 Pats

1 Mike Haynes

2. Stanley Morgan ( its a utter joke he's not in the HOF)

Career NFL statistics

• Receptions:557
  • Receiving yards:10,716
  • Yards per reception:19.2
  • Touchdowns:72      

3.  John Hannah

4   Andre Tippett  

1st time I saw him play was a Iowa game on TV. He got two personal fouls and was thrown out of the game. He beat the OT to death !!!! The Pats passed on him in the 1st round and I was pissed, however they got him in the 2nd friggen RD ! :D

Oh I forgot.

Chuck Fairbanks was on of the greatest GMs many have never heard of.  Dumb idiots owner Sullivans chase him out for money. 1st pick he made John Hannah

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

Madden - still play when I have time to this day - when I was younger, helped to know the marginal players of other teams and how good (Madden thought) they were.

Brett Favre - before my Dad got me hooked on the Rams in the late 90s, I loved Brett Favre. Still loved him and rooted for the Vikings in that NFCCG against the Saints.

Barry Sanders - my favorite non-Rams player of all time.

Dad - none of this probably happens without him loving the NFL.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:28 AM, m haynes said:

2. Stanley Morgan ( its a utter joke he's not in the HOF)

Career NFL statistics

• Receptions:557
  • Receiving yards:10,716
  • Yards per reception:19.2
  • Touchdowns:72      

The HoF Voters are garbage to keep players like Stanley Morgan out.

19.2 a catch! 10k yards! 72 TDs

List of NFL players to average 18+ per catch and have 10k+ yards

• Lofton  (HoF)
  • Alworth (HoF)
  • Maynard (HoF)
  • Morgan (???)

He was the only player to lead the league in ypc 3 times in a row,.

He was the only person to lead the league in ypc 3x at all until DeSean Jackson did it 3 and then 4 times.

He averaged 20+ his first 6 years!

FYI, he's also tied 46th all time in punt return average with some guy named Deion Sanders.

Its absolutely pathetic that he is not in the Hall of fame.

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The HoF Voters are garbage to keep players like Stanley Morgan out.

19.2 a catch! 10k yards! 72 TDs

List of NFL players to average 18+ per catch and have 10k+ yards

• Lofton  (HoF)
  • Alworth (HoF)
  • Maynard (HoF)
  • Morgan (???)

He was the only player to lead the league in ypc 3 times in a row,.

He was the only person to lead the league in ypc 3x at all until DeSean Jackson did it 3 and then 4 times.

He averaged 20+ his first 6 years!

FYI, he's also tied 46th all time in punt return average with some guy named Deion Sanders.

Its absolutely pathetic that he is not in the Hall of fame.

Thank you for the effort concerning Stanley Morgan, even I didn't know some of the stats you stated.   I was lucky enough to see him play. There are many receivers that get over looked in that era.  

Here a couple, "off the top of my head"  Cliff Branch, Wesley Walker, John Gilliam and Roy Jefferson, Wes Chandler and Harold Jackson.

I always wonder what their numbers would look like in today's game.   Another point on Morgan  the 19.2 per catch, he caught the ball at the 20 yard mark didn't catch it 5 yards than run!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzbIZvvF3w 

Edited by m haynes

Not in order:

George Blanda Oakland Raiders. -- Just started getting into football and late in afternoon on Sunday's between my dad, brother and sometimes uncles would come over and George Blanda would come in off the bench for the "Mad Bomber" Darryl Lamonica and drive his teams to late game victories. Everyone in the family would cheer him on plus I was amazed how an old man could come in and change a game so late in the manner he did. 

Earl Campbell ---   During my time growing up-- running backs were a big thing. He was the most exciting RB I ever saw between his power and speed. He was a fullback than ran like world class sprinter. 

Lawrence Taylor -- I'm a Giants fan. Initially when Giants drafted him - before I saw him play - I was upset Giants didn't draft Hugh Green from Pitt instead. -- Then I saw him play ONE exhibition game. Wow. I never saw anything like him. 

John Madden --  I did like him as a coach a lot but then when he started broadcasting games -- wow. What a football personality.