Aaron Hernandez Had "Advanced" CTE

Soko

Doesn't excuse what he did, but certainly something that is concerning. He played what, 3 years pro football, died at 27, and was already stage 3 of 4 for CTE? That's gotta be concerning when the average NFL career is what, 2 seasons? Could still have a severe impact on the livelihood after football.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We don't know that it was all caused from football. He may have had nightly visits that resulted in repeated head blows against his cell wall.

If his behaviour is anything to go by, it might have been an unfortunate dropping incident when young.

He wasn't used in the rough stuff often in NE. I know you cant predict where you can pick up concussions with confidence, but he wasn't kept in the line many times. Caught a lot in the flat or at the back of the end zone...

I find it sad the the Daughter is suing the NFL and Patriots for $20mil stating "the team and league deprived (daughter, Avielle Hernandez) of the companionship of her father". No, no, your father killing at least one person and getting caught and put in jail is what deprived you of companionship, not brain damage.

Maybe the families of the people he killed should file suit against the Hernandez family for the same thing?

Anyway, CTE is a scary thing. I'd have to think this isn't just from 3 years of pro ball. He had, what, 4 years of college I assume, and several more in younger years. But just the NFL's fault?

What a mess.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, we are seeing it more and more with players retiring early. Still a minuscule sample size, currently, though.

As for Aaron, I'm sure I read a few character quotes that said he was a turd even before the NFL. 

BOSTON -- Tests conducted on the brain of former football star Aaron Hernandez showed severe signs of the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and his attorney said Thursday that the player's daughter is suing the NFL and the New England Patriots for leading Hernandez to believe the sport was safe.

-Perhaps Aaron's daughter will also sue the NFL for neglecting to prevent his becoming a turd; and for failing to coach him that killing people isn't nice.

41 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We don't know that it was all caused from football. He may have had nightly visits that resulted in repeated head blows against his cell wall.

....or bar fights, or street fights, etc.

But I imagine most of it was still caused from football.

44 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I find it sad the the Daughter is suing the NFL and Patriots for $20mil stating "the team and league deprived (daughter, Avielle Hernandez) of the companionship of her father". No, no, your father killing at least one person and getting caught and put in jail is what deprived you of companionship, not brain damage.

Maybe the families of the people he killed should file suit against the Hernandez family for the same thing?

Anyway, CTE is a scary thing. I'd have to think this isn't just from 3 years of pro ball. He had, what, 4 years of college I assume, and several more in younger years. But just the NFL's fault?

What a mess.

The mother is suing since I believe Hernandez's daughter isn't any older than 4. I just find this whole thing in general sad, Aaron hernandez deserved to rot in a cell for the rest of his life. 

ESPN's gonna turn this into a massive documentary in the next few years as well. 

Archived