Aaron Hernandez Had "Advanced" CTE

Soko

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

No doubt, but just shows that it isn't just the guys who accumulate season after season in the NFL

This is where I'm at too. 

I'm sure he took his extra share of head-beatings given his background - more so than a lot of other players - but seeing it in someone young has to be concerning for some active players.

55 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

about to turn 5, disgusting that shes being thrown out there like this. 

Clear attempt at a cash grab by his gf/wife whatever.

Or their lawyer...

Anyway, the NFL isn't the only named defendant and I don't expect they'll be able to win such a suit since it's not really possible to establish a clear causative relationship between CTE and the crimes he committed, given his priors. But it's nonetheless worth following how the trial unfolds because I expect more suits to be filed under a similar framework.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

I find it sad the the Daughter is suing the NFL and Patriots for $20mil stating "the team and league deprived (daughter, Avielle Hernandez) of the companionship of her father". No, no, your father killing at least one person and getting caught and put in jail is what deprived you of companionship, not brain damage.

Without getting too much into much of a legal discussion, I'd imagine that this civil suit will be thrown out relatively quickly.  Not sure they have any legal grounds to make this lawsuit, unless they have definitive proof that Hernandez didn't have CTE when entering the league.

I thought I read that the NCAA/UF were also named defendants but I guess that's not the case (yet).
If I were Baez I'd definitely do that. Would be much easier to prove that Hernandez' CTE was the result of 3 years of accrued head injuries at the college level in addition to his 3 years in the NFL.

Almost everyone that ever played in the NFL for any real amount of time probably has/had it. The guy was a thug before he got in the NFL. Before he got to college. He had a super screwed up home life growing up. Him killing someone was almost inevitable. Probably would have happened a lot sooner without the benefits of organized sports 

edit: I see this is more about the suicide. People serving life sentences kill themselves all the time. Almost none of them played in the NFL

Either way. High risk to commit a violent crime. High risk to commit suicide.CTE or not 

Maybe I'm naive to it but i dont see how someone with a late stage, degenerative brain condition who struggles with organization could be a highly functioning all-pro football player in a complex scheme while being calculated enough to cover up murdering people and keep it hidden from the media as such a public figure...

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Almost everyone that ever played in the NFL for any real amount of time probably has/had it.

Baseless and doubtful. 

The guy was a thug before he got in the NFL. Before he got to college.

Pretty much true.

He had a super screwed up home life growing up. Him killing someone was almost inevitable. Probably would have happened a lot sooner without the benefits of organized sports 

"Almost inevitable"? Even if that made sense, that's incredibly ignorant. Even if there were some way for you to know - which there isn't.

edit: I see this is more about the suicide. People serving life sentences kill themselves all the time. Almost none of them played in the NFL

Is this an attempt to say that the CTE had nothing to do with it? I'm not saying it did or didn't, just that nobody knows and it could be cause for concern with some players actually in the industry. Nobody will ever know if it played a part or not. Other criminals' actions don't really have any relevance at all. 

Either way. High risk to commit a violent crime. High risk to commit suicide.CTE or not 

"High risk to commit violent crime"...based on what? His upbringing? Are we going to assume everyone with a rough upbringing has a high risk of violent crime or suicide? HighER risk, maybe.

This ignorance in this post was so egregious that it sounds like I'm defending a murderer. I'm not saying he wouldn't have done it or that he deserves any extra sympathy - just that the possibility that CTE may have played a factor (which is undeniable) may have an effect on current players' opinions on the matter.

2 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

The mother is suing since I believe Hernandez's daughter isn't any older than 4. I just find this whole thing in general sad, Aaron hernandez deserved to rot in a cell for the rest of his life. 

ESPN's gonna turn this into a massive documentary in the next few years as well. 

My bad. Thanks for the correction. I suppose I could have done the math and figured that out. He was what, 27? Ooops.

You know, I crashed my Mustang when I was younger. I got one h*ll of a concussion (headache for 3 weeks, that sucked!). 

I wonder if I could sue Ford for CTE. Nevermind I am a stockholder, was speeding, had been drinking, roads were wet. SOMEBODY MUST PAY!!! ....for my possible head issues.

Do you suppose anyone is safe from anything? Soccer, Boxing, Hockey, even diving causes brain stoppage in the head. NASCAR....... seriously! Where do we draw the line?

Archived