Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y*so*blu

Adopt an UDFA (projected)!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Note: If this belongs in the Mock Draft section rather than here, just let me know.

So I've seen lots of adopt-a-player threads, but can't remember seeing one like this. Choose a player who is projected to go undrafted in 2020 according to the mock on draftsite.com, and commit to him. Tell us all about him. Nurture him. Keep tabs on him. Park your car outside his house at night. (Last part optional.)

Obviously it's impossible to be certain about something like this; some guys are surprise picks in the later rounds, while other projected late-round guys never sniff the league, yadda yadda yadda. But I thought it would be a fun idea. You never know--the guy you pick just might become the next Adam Thielen, Cameron Wake, or Adam Vinatieri.

My selection, for no particular reason other than liking his name, is Clemson's Gage Cervenka.

013-A-Cervenka-e1570827349712-1024x1009.

The 6'3", 325-pound center/RG won four state championships and went 199-1 as a heavyweight wrestler in middle school before stepping onto the field. "When [he's] that big, you don't think of him as being an athlete, but he is," his old coach said emphatically of the Greenwood, SC native. At that time, he already weighed 200 pounds and was throwing classmates around like rag dolls. His one loss still inspires him, to the point where he follows the opponent on social media to this day.

“Stalking, I guess,” Cervenka said with a smile. “Just keeping up with what he’s doing.”

Well, forget the bit about parking outside his house; I'm not going to do anything to make this guy mad. O.o As of last year he was ranked the strongest player at Clemson and the highest-rated returning run blocker in the ACC before the 2019 season. Last I heard, he planned to raise money for rare diseases at his pro day.

How a guy with this kind of potential might go undrafted (according to the site we're using, anyway) is a mystery to me, but there you have it. Gage, consider yourself adopted! May you go forth and thrive in the pros.

Edited by y*so*blu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On that site Damon Arnette and Jeremy Chinn stand out really clearly as they could be second round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Trojan said:

On that site Damon Arnette and Jeremy Chinn stand out really clearly as they could be second round picks.

Agreed totally on those two, Josiah Scott and John Reid could be added to that.  And Tanner Muse after the combine he had, I seriously doubt that one, and Chris Miller can ball and should be drafted also.

 

 

And Jake Bentley is on Utah next year he is not in the draft.  And Steven Montez not being picked, I doubt that.  Tommy Kraemer is back at Notre Dame I believe.  And Josh Kelley not being drafted after the Senior bowl he had, no freaking way.  And Greg Eisworth is back at Iowa State, this site needs to update their freaking sources I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed totally on those two, Josiah Scott and John Reid could be added to that.  And Tanner Muse after the combine he had, I seriously doubt that one, and Chris Miller can ball and should be drafted also.

 

 

And Jake Bentley is on Utah next year he is not in the draft.  And Steven Montez not being picked, I doubt that.  Tommy Kraemer is back at Notre Dame I believe.  And Josh Kelley not being drafted after the Senior bowl he had, no freaking way.  And Greg Eisworth is back at Iowa State, this site needs to update their freaking sources I think.

 

If their mock doesn't seem accurate enough for your purposes, feel free to pick your own prospect who you think will not be drafted. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the y*so*blu pick of G Gage Cervenka. 6'3", 325, Clemson. I had him tagged as a 7th rounder for the Packers.

I also liked RB Reggie Corbin 5'10", 200, Illinois (had him tagged for a 7th as well).

Finally, there is OT Jon Runyan 6'5", 321 Michigan (yep, another 7th)

Any of the above three could be a late draftee or go undrafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB: Khalil Tate (as an athlete)

RB: Reggie Corbin & Jonathan Ward

FB: Richard Worship & Bronson Rechsteiner

WR: Austin Mack

TE: None

OT: Jared Hillbers

OG: Tommy Kraemer

C: Zach Shackleford

 

DE: Shaq Bradford

DT: David Moa

LB: Zach McCloud

CB: John Reid

S: Tanner Muse & David Dowell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bronson Rechsteiner is a neat option for UDFA but may be more XFL especially with his family's history with wrestling and wrestling is probably an option for him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll have to do some research but I heard an interview with this guy and liked his personality. I currently have him ranked 29th IOL which is also graded as UDFA in my rankings.

Oge Udego  Central Michigan

 

Edited by vikes635
wanted to add school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am sorry to say that my man Gage not only went undrafted, but has not been contacted by an NFL team yet. I really hope somebody takes a chance on him because they won't be disappointed.

Cervenka was snubbed out of an NFL Combine invite a few months ago and then was unable to effectively promote himself at the Clemson Football Pro Day, due to many NFL scouts not being able to be in attendance for the event.

Cervenka should’ve been one of the first undrafted free-agents off the board [...] He was the strongest player on the Clemson football team the past couple of seasons [...] No matter who he faced, Cervenka found a way to open up holes and competed. His strength, football IQ and physicality were traits that the Tigers could always rely upon.

Edited by y*so*blu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I am sorry to say that my man Gage not only went undrafted, but has not been contacted by an NFL team yet. I really hope somebody takes a chance on him because they won't be disappointed.

 

 

Why hasn't he been picked up, if he was as that description says? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why hasn't he been picked up, if he was as that description says? 

Couldn't tell you; I'm not a scout. I imagine he had a hard time standing out in a deep tackle class. Didn't help that he had no Combine invite and a Pro Day no one saw.

I'm still hoping he gets a shot somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Couldn't tell you; I'm not a scout. I imagine he had a hard time standing out in a deep tackle class. Didn't help that he had no Combine invite and a Pro Day no one saw.

I'm still hoping he gets a shot somewhere.

He's a C right? 

My version of this was Shackleford, also a C, who went undrafted. Think he might still be without team

Edited by Hunter2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's a C right? 

My version of this was Shackleford, also a C, who went undrafted. Think he might still be without team

Primarily a center; could also play OG. Not a blue-chip prospect but incredibly strong.

Shackleford was picked up by the Bucs.

Edited by y*so*blu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this game would work better if you started it after the draft so you know who is an actual UDFA. I would have to say Jamycal Hasty is my pick. Also, im taking Isaiah Wright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×