Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

5 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Agree that Chamberlin to Liverpool is a weird one and honestly I just do see why Klopp would want or need him. 

Why both Conte and Klopp were willing to pay 40M for Ox, who is on the last year of his deal, will be a mystery to me. I just don't understand. They must see something that the rest of us don't.

Edited by Canadian Saint

Just now, Canadian Saint said:

Why both Conte and Klopp were willing to pay 40M for Ox, who is on the last year of his deal, will be a mystery to me. I just don't understand. They must see something that the rest of us don't.

I can see how Ox could fit well into the system but it just seems like he's just not needed at all and especially for next season. I think he could have some potential in that high pressing system but he just isn't an upgrade or even as good as anyone who is currently there. I have to think they are hopefully of retaining Can. 

8 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

He'll be bottom of the totem pole for the CM spot, but I think he'll get some games. We have a few people with injury records (Hendo and Lallana), so he'll be cover.

Can he still play on the wing? He'd be nice depth behind Salah and Mane.

Of course if the injuries happen then yeah he has a shot but he still gonna be a squad player. He would've faced the same problem at Chelsea TBH. He's gonna go from starting every week at a position he doesn't like playing to being 5th choice as a CM. Now he is back up as a winger so he has that. 

8 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think from our view, it's fear that it would be more difficult to lure him when he is a free agent. Also he's English and he helps in the home grown quota department (which Conte seems to be very concerned about). Also Conte seems to like his versatility. I don't understand why he would reject us because we won't primarily use him as a CM.

11 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I can sort of see why. Same reason Pochettino went all in for Moussa Sissoko a year ago. The talent is there, and they rate themselves highly enough as coaches to unleash that talent. 

The Ox has got amazing physical attributes, and he comes with decent technical pedigree. Conte looked at him and thought, "well if I can sort out Victor Moses, imagine what I could do with an even more powerful version of Moses?" Klopp sees the dribbling ability, sees the speed, and thinks that if he can help him sort his close-control and his basic intelligence, he can turn him into another Moussa Dembele type. 

Not saying it's inevitable, but I do actually think there's something to be said about Chambo having lots of untapped potential that a great manager can potentially unleash. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

This was posted on Sky Sports transfer center:

In December 2012, Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey, Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain and Carl Jenkinson all signed new long-term contracts at Arsenal with Arsene Wenger keen on building a ‘British core’ at the club.

The Frenchman had assembled some of Britain's most highly-rated youngsters in his squad and insisted they were the future of the club with an image of Wilshere, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gibbs and Jenkinson all signing new contracts becoming the symbol of a new era at the Emirates Stadium.

This is something that people have talked about but it's pretty staggering to see it in text. Four of those players are either out of the club or on their way out with only Ramsey getting consistent time and he seems to have plateaued at Arsenal. 

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I can sort of see why. Same reason Pochettino went all in for Moussa Sissoko a year ago. The talent is there, and they rate themselves highly enough as coaches to unleash that talent. 

The Ox has got amazing physical attributes, and he comes with decent technical pedigree. Conte looked at him and thought, "well if I can sort out Victor Moses, imagine what I could do with an even more powerful version of Moses?" Klopp sees the dribbling ability, sees the speed, and thinks that if he can help him sort his close-control and his basic intelligence, he can turn him into another Moussa Dembele type. 

Not saying it's inevitable, but I do actually think there's something to be said about Chambo having lots of untapped potential that a great manager can potentially unleash. 

Yeah as I've said, AOC is exactly the kind of player Klopp likes, pace, high energy, versatile and a great dribbler. Our football and the amount of games we have mean we need a proper squad to be able to rotate and have cover for injuries and AOC is the perfect player for that. Klopp already raved about him when he was still at Dortmund so I guess he wanted him right from the start. Considering how Lallana has developed under Klopp I can see something similar with him, I still primary see him as cover for Mane and Salah though.

It's a good deal for Arsenal, no doubt, but what are they doing with it?

9 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

This was posted on Sky Sports transfer center:

This is something that people have talked about but it's pretty staggering to see it in text. Four of those players are either out of the club or on their way out with only Ramsey getting consistent time and he seems to have plateaued at Arsenal. 

In all fairness though all of them are pretty injury prone which has hampered their progress and Jenkinson never looked good enough for Arsenal in the first place.

1 minute ago, AustrianNiner said:

In all fairness though all of them are pretty injury prone which has hampered their progress and Jenkinson never looked good enough for Arsenal in the first place.

I'd give you Wilshere and maybe Ox as injury prone but not the others, at least not to deter progression. Either way, such a large scale failure in five guys who the club really though would be major parts of their squad is pretty shocking and underlines the lack of success that their young talent has had in their starting XI and squad in general. 

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

I don't know half as much about soccer as everyone else here, but this is an econ question. It's the same reason we all pay full price for milk even though we could all just wait and negotiate. Or, maybe a better analogy, it's why it doesn't really matter if you have 2 buyers or 4 buyers on a house even if the family selling the house has to move ASAP for a job.

Arsenal has the leverage because they have the asset. As long as more than 1 other party is interested, Party A will bid 80% of value, Party B would bid 85% because they don't want to lose it, etc. etc. all the way up to market value.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99