Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

A statement on www.faf.dz read: "Leicester City's Algerian international Riyad Mahrez, who is currently with the national team in Sidi Moussa to prepare for the double confrontation against Zambia for the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, was authorised by the national coach Lucas Alcaraz and the Algerian Football Federation to make an express trip to Europe to formalise on Thursday his transfer to his new club.

Well Mahrez is definitely moving somewhere, will be a huge addition to whoever gets him. 

Don't know what else to call it but gross incompetence and mismanagement if Arsenal have backed themselves into this sort of corner where they can't pay competitive wages for new players. The Wenger folklore has always been built on this idea of him as this genius economist (by god he has a bachelor's degree!) and always having some sort of long-term plan in mind. Turns out, he has managed to hand out so many dumb contracts over the years that he has apparently made it impossible for us to spend money at a time when it's literally never been easier for every other English Premier League club to spend big money. Mr. Frugal turned out to be the dumbest spender of them all. 

Bears repeating that Wenger took it as a personal affront and refused any attempts by Gazidis and other members of the board to appoint a Director of Football and shake up the transfer/recruitment structure that has guided us to this unique calamity. All we got was one additional contract attorney took look over the paperwork after Wenger offers Coquelin his 150k a week extension. Just another example of how Wenger's thinking has become so much more focused on looking out for himself rather than the well-being of the club. 

It's breathtaking incompetence and stupidity and it's what happens when the owner doesn't care and doesn't leave anyone else in the room to check up on things or maintain even the illusion of accountability. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

5 hours ago, PAW said:

Batshuayi is nowhere near good enough to play for Chelsea right now, outside of league cup games. So it's definitely a good move getting a new backup and shipping him out. 

And Llorente is? If you wanna get a new back up then it sure as heck better be better than Llorente. Batshuayi has the tools and has made improvements. He had a good pre season but he was given a short leash as expected. I'll give him more time than that.

Edited by Kip Smithers

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

Eh, if people think boardmembers are getting annual dividends on their shares, they're wrong.  Football club ownership in the UK works much differently than team ownership in the US.  There's a quiet movement afoot to move things in Europe more towards the US model (which would be awful in the long-run), but it's not like Kroenke and the board are cashing out the unspent monies into their own bank accounts.

My point being that Arsene Wenger isn't exactly losing them money and while I can't speculate how much they're making, it seems like that winners medals and competing for major isn't their first priority. 

4 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Don't know what else to call it but gross incompetence and mismanagement if Arsenal have backed themselves into this sort of corner where they can't pay competitive wages for new players. The Wenger folklore has always been built on this idea of him as this genius economist (by god he has a bachelor's degree!) and always having some sort of long-term plan in mind. Turns out, he has managed to hand out so many dumb contracts over the years that he has apparently made it impossible for us to spend money at a time when it's literally never been easier for every other English Premier League club to spend big money. Mr. Frugal turned out to be the dumbest spender of them all. 

Bears repeating that Wenger took it as a personal affront and refused any attempts by Gazidis and other members of the board to appoint a Director of Football and shake up the transfer/recruitment structure that has guided us to this unique calamity. All we got was one additional contract attorney took look over the paperwork after Wenger offers Coquelin his 150k a week extension. Just another example of how Wenger's thinking has become so much more focused on looking out for himself rather than the well-being of the club. 

It's breathtaking incompetence and stupidity and it's what happens when the owner doesn't care and doesn't leave anyone else in the room to check up on things or maintain even the illusion of accountability. 

I don't think Wenger believes half the stuff he is saying or he just deliberately wants to give the press something of substance that can fill their blanks. A week or ago, he said that you're going to see a lot of players staying to end of their contracts because nobody is gonna wanna pay these high prices which blatantly ignores the basics of economics lol. You can't trust a word he says. 

8 hours ago, Imarobot said:

I'm not?

The second name you got almost right. ch is h, not k (and the guy says h in the video too, if you want to check), but apart from that its right. 

I dont follow football too much anymore so I actually thought it was spelt Krzychowiak, with the krz sound like an old Polish player Krzynowek, had but i see now it is Kr so you are mostly right. 

The first name is different though.

You said: Jay-gorsh. Look at how he starts the name. Its a hard g exactly like the name Gregory which is the English version of the same name. Its not jay but g. 

Also rz appears twice, in Grzegorz. Your version has rz as "ay" and the as "rsh". Its neither, its more or less a z sound (or as the video says at the beginning, a French j sound like "je", but its a very complex sound).

So Grzegorz is like the English Gregory, but with the first r replaced by a z and the last 2 letters - ry also replaced by a z.

So "Gzegoz" is as a good attempt for a non native for the first name. And the surname Kry-ho-viak,

2 hours ago, kempus said:

Spurs interested in Llorente. I guess he's a decent enough back up, but it's not exactly something to get excited about. Underwhelming.

I don't really get the huge interest in Llorente. I think he is a good player and I really used to be a fan of his but I don't really get why Spurs and Chelsea are chasing, especially given his age. 

13 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I don't really get the huge interest in Llorente. I think he is a good player and I really used to be a fan of his but I don't really get why Spurs and Chelsea are chasing, especially given his age. 

My guess is he won't cost much, have too high wages, is reliable to get some goals and is happy to come off the bench. On paper it makes sense. But, doesn't inspire me or get me excited in the slightest. Seems like a cop out. Would rather stick with Janssen.

2 minutes ago, kempus said:

My guess is he won't cost much, have too high wages, is reliable to get some goals and is happy to come off the bench. On paper it makes sense. But, doesn't inspire me or get me excited in the slightest. Seems like a cop out. Would rather stick with Janssen.

That is my biggest thing. I don't really see him as an upgrade and honestly don't think he'd fit well into Spurs style of play. I guess it's never a bad thing to have a goal scorer who can come off the bench for you though. 

29 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

That is my biggest thing. I don't really see him as an upgrade and honestly don't think he'd fit well into Spurs style of play. I guess it's never a bad thing to have a goal scorer who can come off the bench for you though. 

Janssen is younger, is presumably more expensive and with more potential. Unless we're selling him, I don't get it. There's no space for 3 like for like strikers in the squad. None of them have pace to beat a man. Seems we're not interested in playing any other way. 

14 minutes ago, kempus said:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/41081740

Spurs sign Aurier for 23 million pounds. 

Assuming Poch can get Auriers head screwed on straight, I love it.

Even if he can't I think Spurs really had to try. The current fullback situation just hasn't been good enough and on his day Aurier is an excellent player. 

Sounds like Llorente to Spurs and Bony to Swansea is just about wrapped up. Bony is a terrible buy for Swansea. It's weird that in a summer where Swansea have signed Sanches and Roque Mesa they seem to have gotten was as a squad.