Why is Jordan Love a potential first rounder?

Elky

Just now, Elky said:

He's dumb as bricks on the field, hence the 17 interceptions. I'm sorry I'm picking on someone you like, which is cool, but he sorta sucks man, hate to break it you.

Matt Ryan threw 19 his senior season. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Matt Ryan threw 19 his senior season. 

Completely irrelevant, but Ryan threw over 600 times that season; Love threw 473 times.

Edited by Elky

Carson Palmer threw 18 picks as a sophomore at USC and finished his career with 49 in 3 years as a starter.

Dan Marino threw for 17 TDs and 23 INT his senior year after going for 37 and 23 his junior season. 

Jameis Winston threw 18 picks his junior year.

I could keep going.

But, I know when I'm wasting my time so have fun with the thread.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How so? You stated collegiate interceptions = dumb as bricks and the wonderlic doesn't mean anything. You're going in circles here.

Because we're not talking about Matt Ryan.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Carson Palmer threw 18 picks as a sophomore at USC and finished his career with 49 in 3 years as a starter.

Dan Marino threw for 17 TDs and 23 INT his senior year after going for 37 and 23 his junior season. 

Jameis Winston threw 18 picks his junior year.

I could keep going.

But, I know when I'm wasting my time so have fun with the thread.

These are pretty poor examples.

Carson Palmer was a mediocre QB for most of his career and was a bit of a turnover machine.

Dan Marino played in a completely different time.

Jameis i literally THE poster boy for being turnover prone. He literally could not finish the game without at least one of his trademark boneheaded turnovers.

Deshaun Watson - 30 his last 2 years (including 17 his draft year)
Drew Brees - 44 his last 3 years
Patrick Mahomes - 25 his last 2 years
Eli Manning - 25 his last 2 years
Matt Ryan - 19 his senior year

But, yep, collegiate INTs definitively reflect a QBs future outlook. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Elky said:

Did you seriously just cite the Wonderlic? The same test that Dan Marino bombed at and Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is turnover prone, excelled at?

Dan Marino is pretty dumb, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is quite intelligent. You're conflating football IQ and intelligence. They're two very different things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Completely irrelevant, but Ryan threw over 600 times that season; Love threw 473 times.

It's really not.  Matt Ryan threw an interception every 34 attempts.  Jordan Love threw an interception every 28 attempts.  It's only irrelevant because it hurts your argument.

• Like 3

Whether he actually goes that high or not...I don't think it's a complicated riddle to solve.

1) The traits are there, with the sort of natural live arm that is always tantalizing.  The mobility is there, and he has the arm to easily make "all the throws" and then some.

2) 2018 shows a very different looking prospect, before losing basically everyone important around him and more or less starting from scratch.

3) That Mahomes-lite comp.  It may say, "lite" but it's heavy and worth it's weight in gold when it comes to a copycat league always looking to find the next version of the "latest big thing".

Plus...Even if we're quibbling over the difference between "1st round prospect" and "2nd round project"...the reality is, that extra "5th year option" is potentially huge value, if you believe in the guy enough to be taking him early 2nd anyway.  An extra year of affordable QBing can be a huge deal, if they end up actually being good.  One extra potential year to hold the window open before the skies open up and destroy your salary cap.

• Like 3

To answer the question; it's because he's a QB. 

If you look at the actual product, you see too many red flags for the first round. But because he's a QB with potential upside, people tend to ignore the red flags. They're doing the same with Herbert.