2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

there has definitely been some chatter on twitter about Simmons slipping a little bit. That would be VERY interesting for us 

There isnt a player in the draft that I would rather trade up for than Simmons. He is going to be an electric, do it all ILB. I wont compare him to Luke, but he will be just a tier below. Something like a more versatile Bobby Wagner level guy IMO. A real game changer. 

• Like 3

I really think Simmons is a safety in the mold of Derwin James (which would be great) and any team moving him to LB will regret it. 

Really disagree, if Deion Jones can be a NFL ILB, so can Simmons. Especially in a scheme that seems to use their ILB's in coverage alot (Vic did so in CHI, but adapted to personnel last season, who knows if he just runs with that model)

Ok, bold statements before the draft:

I don’t see it as the “top 3 WR” I see it as tier 1a (Lamb / Jeudy) and 1b (ruggs  / Jefferson). I also have Pittman, Mims, Reagor, and Aiyuk all in the next tier.

i think Ben Bartch will have a better career than 2 of the top 4 OT. 

I think Damon Arnette will be “re-drafted” as a 1st round pick when the talking heads do thier look back in 5 years.

I think, if he goes to SD, Tua wins ROTY...and fails to get a second contract with them due to recurrent injuries

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Really disagree, if Deion Jones can be a NFL ILB, so can Simmons. Especially in a scheme that seems to use their ILB's in coverage alot (Vic did so in CHI, but adapted to personnel last season, who knows if he just runs with that model)

The issue for me is wasting the best parts of his game. I don’t want Simmons spending half his snaps stacking and shedding. And Vic’s LBs are basically always in the same spots. I want him moving around and working in space as much as possible. Simmons as a 3-4 ILB is like putting a Ferrari in city traffic. 

I've basically seen reports that we like every single WR. I am skeptical of anyone's take on this outside of local media, because many national media people have been beyond wrong on Denver over the last few years.

Allbright/Klis/Paige are the three best. The consensus there seems to be Ruggs/Jeudy are somehow the two favorites, and Mims is a strong candidate if at 15 or trading back. Allbright mentioned at one point Denver had a different WR ranking than many others. Could be that we have Lamb lower than most and Mims higher?

• Like 2

I think Jeudy is “the guy”. Allbright has kinda pushed back on Ruggs being their target over time and even mocked Jeudy to us yesterday. I wonder if Ruggs was their guy when Scangarello was OC and the prototype they wanted changed after hiring Shurmur. Most of the smoke around Ruggs was from December and there wasn’t really any new info after that.

The issue for me is wasting the best parts of his game. I don’t want Simmons spending half his snaps stacking and shedding. And Vic’s LBs are basically always in the same spots. I want him moving around and working in space as much as possible. Simmons as a 3-4 ILB is like putting a Ferrari in city traffic. 

IDK, Vic blitzed his ILB a ton in Chicago, and the best traits that Simmons has is coverage and blitzing IMO. 

In 2018 Danny had 8 TFL, 4 QB hits and 2 sacks. Roquan had 8 TFL, 5 QB hits and 5 sacks. 

You could use Simmons in base, but also as safety 3 in sub packages (Which we run 50-70% of the time). 

Whatever we do, we need to see Todd Davis on the field much less than the 85% of snaps that he played last season. With our connection to Batchie, it seems we are content to play old school at ILB which is suprising given the sideline-to-sideline talent that Vic had at that spot in Chicago. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think Jeudy is “the guy”. Allbright has kinda pushed back on Ruggs being their target over time and even mocked Jeudy to us yesterday. I wonder if Ruggs was their guy when Scangarello was OC and the prototype they wanted changed after hiring Shurmur. Most of the smoke around Ruggs was from December and there wasn’t really any new info after that.

I think you're right on this. I am beginning to think it's very possible that Jeudy falls to 15, but we may move up to 10-13 to get him. I don't expect any WR to go before 11. The Jets, by most local accounts, seem to be leaning more OT than WR. SF could be a trade candidate, LV is a wild card, and TB isn't going WR. 

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I see him as more of a Urlacher type ILB

Same.  He isn’t going to be able to cover NFL WRs and really wasn’t all that exceptional at it in college in man coverage.  I personally thought Venables wasted his talent to an extent.  Why would you have arguably the freakiest player in college football covering slot WRs?  Especially at a program like Clemson, there surely was a CB (or 3) on the roster who could come in for that role and then you have your 6’4” 240 4.3 40 player chasing the QB or impacting the game at the LOS....not chasing around the 2nd or 3rd best WRs on the team that pull him away from having an impact on every play. 

He isn’t going to be able to cover NFL WRs

I mean, he isn't going to be a CB but as far as ILB's go, he is going to be better than 99% at covering WR's in man. The thing is that ILB's rarely are schemed to man cover WR's. You can do that with Simmons a couple times per game (Lining him in the slot, making the QB anticipate blitz from him but sticking with the WR and blitzing from elsewhere), which is more than most ILB, but he is wasted lining up as some sort of jumbo NB or whatever. 

The above described Urlacher as well. He wasn't a DB playing ILB, but he was able to occasionally cover in man and was a beast in zone. You don't find many ILB with 90 PD and 22 INT like Brian managed. 

Simmons has tons of similarities to Urlacher, but he isn't the same level prospect because Brian played with a fire that is rare to find, even more rare to find in a guy who had the insane natural abilities as well.