2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

46. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

77. Antonio Gibson, RB/WR, Memphis

83. Matt Hennessy, C, Temple

95. Terrell Burgess, SS, Utah

Love this, but can see Gibson going earlier than expected. Also, that puts 2/3 WR's as guys that dont really go up to get the ball too well. Not sure I like that. 

IMO Jeudy can take those jet sweeps and designed YAC targets. His testing doesnt quite show how slippery he is. 

In a perfect world, I would take those same guys less Gibson. Use 3.77 + 2021 R4 to move up and get Tee Higgins. 

Imagine a PA set with Higgins the deep threat. He is going to be a beast on long developing plays. Long strider who needs time to get up to speed but once the ball is in the air, he wins at a rate that is almost otherworldly. 

We have underrated manufactured yard guys in Lindsay, Gordon and Jeudy. I think we need someone who can go up and win the conest when the ball is in the air. 

Also, I think you can use Fant at times on designed YAC plays. He has elite quick twitch acceleration for his size and could be a guy to catch the other team off guard from time to time. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah but I wager that if the Jets had taken Lamb or Jeudy we would have traded up to get the other one.

Elway said Kinlaw wasn't on their board either, which I found interesting. 

The issue is the altitude and taking big boys on the DL.  Same reasoning on why taking an OL like Orlando Brown way iffier in DEN or ARI.   Most of those guys end up being 35-40 snap guys.  You can only justify it if they are elite-level for those 35-40 snaps (and it's a no-go for OL obv).   At least that's what I see (why a Vita Vea type pick for us is less appealing that at normal altitude).

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

what time do the picks start tonight? 6pm MST? 

5pm MST. Leaving the office at 4:30, not like I've been productive at all today any way lol. 

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

So what do we need ??

CB x 2, OL x 2, WR, DL, ILB, S, TE

I'd say CB, IOL, ILB are our biggest needs. We need starters or major contributors at all three spots. 

Secondary needs are OT and S, we need guys to develop for those spots and, in the case of the S, play on special teams. Could also use more bodies at CB, WR, TE and QB. 

Because of the primary needs, which number three, I want us to parlay our four picks today into three players at those three positions. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

The talent still left and the reach-picks already made and that could be made still make me an overall BPA purist at 2.46.  The good news is that CB/T could very well be overall  BPA guys (cover S too).    

I have no problem if we stand pat at 2.46, and frankly, moving back might be an option if the board keeps going uber-weird.  To say that there have been some MAJOR anti-CW picks, it's an understatement.  And while CW picks aren't guaranteed either, the left-fieldness of some of the picks are ones we should be familiar with - shades of Elway's crazy Day 2 reaches in 2013-7.  Glad we are just witnesses to the carnage this offseason, and a habit Elway's been steering away from since 2018-9.  Hope it continues tonight.

From Klis' story on the Jeudy pick, he said we weren't going to trade up as Elway wanted to either move back up into the late first (which we tried) or get another pick in the second round. 

Bank on a trade up this evening. 

Elway did not want to trade up from No. 15 and sacrifice draft picks because he wanted to save them as bait to move either back into the first round or get another pick in the second.

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

From Klis' story on the Jeudy pick, he said we weren't going to trade up as Elway wanted to either move back up into the late first (which we tried) or get another pick in the second round. 

Bank on a trade up this evening. 

Agreed. I am thinking Denver will trade into the bottom of Rd 2. Ideally, I would like to see us move into late R2 using our 1st of 3 R3 picks, and a 4th or 5th if possible. I'm not sure I would trade up here. There's so many teams who need positions we don't, I'm expecting to see some players fall to us. I would love to see a CB/OC with the first pick, personally.

• Like 1

Agreed. I am thinking Denver will trade into the bottom of Rd 2. Ideally, I would like to see us move into late R2 using our 1st of 3 R3 picks, and a 4th or 5th if possible. I'm not sure I would trade up here. There's so many teams who need positions we don't, I'm expecting to see some players fall to us. I would love to see a CB/OC with the first pick, personally.

I would be on board with this, albeit I would rather move a 2021 pick with the college season uncertainty. Something like:

3.77 + 2021 R3 to BAL for 2.55 or 2.60

Even if 2021 was a normal draft, I would prefer the above. I just love the talent this year, WR and OL is elite, ILB and CB above average. Safety is sneaky good too with few teams likely to take one in the 1st half or R2. DL is where I don't really see above average talent. 

20 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder if Elway even likes picks 5-7.  Remember last year he traded away all of the picks, picked the kid out of CU with the 6th and packed his sh***t up as though he had a tee time to meet?  

The way I see it:

Round 1: Immediate starters

Round 2: Immediate contributors, should start by year 2

Round 3: Future starters, but may need a year to sit and learn

Rounds 4-5: Career backups

Rounds 6-7: Borderline roster players

I don't really mind throwing away late round picks and just signing an extra UDFA instead.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The way I see it:

Round 1: Immediate starters

Round 2: Immediate contributors, should start by year 2

Round 3: Future starters, but may need a year to sit and learn

Rounds 4-5: Career backups

Rounds 6-7: Borderline roster players

I don't really mind throwing away late round picks and just signing an extra UDFA instead.

Yeah, I agree with this. If you happen to get a Round 1, 2, 3 type of player in 4-7 or UDFA, it's an added bonus. Would also add, anyone after R3 (maybe including R3, depending on position), should also be a ST contributor by Year 2.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder if Elway even likes picks 5-7.  Remember last year he traded away all of the picks, picked the kid out of CU with the 6th and packed his sh***t up as though he had a tee time to meet?  

It wouldn't shock me if he punts those picks again somehow. I actually think Denver has a bunch of decent back end depth. We've had a lot of guys who have had playing time, not necessarily starting caliber, but have had moments and can be excellent depth in a pinch. But most of these guys (especially on the OL, WR, LB) can be upgraded with a more capable starter.

15 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

It wouldn't shock me if he punts those picks again somehow. I actually think Denver has a bunch of decent back end depth. We've had a lot of guys who have had playing time, not necessarily starting caliber, but have had moments and can be excellent depth in a pinch. But most of these guys (especially on the OL, WR, LB) can be upgraded with a more capable starter.

Moving them isn't easy though, we're talking about two late compensatory picks in the 7th round. Past pick 230 or so you might as well just hope you can get the guy in UDFA. The value is so low. We trade both 254 and 256 how much could we realistically get? 

34 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would be on board with this, albeit I would rather move a 2021 pick with the college season uncertainty. Something like:

3.77 + 2021 R3 to BAL for 2.55 or 2.60

Even if 2021 was a normal draft, I would prefer the above. I just love the talent this year, WR and OL is elite, ILB and CB above average. Safety is sneaky good too with few teams likely to take one in the 1st half or R2. DL is where I don't really see above average talent. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think we saw any future picks traded yesterday. I’m wondering if all the global uncertainty will prevent those from being moved this weekend.