1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Just now, Packerraymond said:

The happiest part of this pick for me, is that LaFleur and Gute are being called out for never wanting to go all in, accepting just making the playoffs and not caring about winning titles, it took two years, but they've joined the ranks of Ted and Mac (an elite pairing). Glad you guys are consistent. Annoying and wrong, but consistent. 

Somebody should bump the Ted Thompson fires thread and the Randall traded thread and the Gute is Thompson thread.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I usually don't do this, but you're definitely trolling and @CWood21 should be involved because I'm not going to sit here and take personal shots. You're assuming I'm "investing in his failure" and arguing against facts and analysis done by professionals. You have plenty of resources that tell you that Love is not a franchise QB because the cons outweigh the pros. He had one good year in 2018 and couldn't carry the team when the talent dried up in 2019; that tells us he's not a franchise QB. Franchise QB's make the players around them better and we've seen this from Favre and Rodgers. We will NOT see that from Love, I guarantee it.

This

I'm trolling? I'm responding to your overreaction to our drafting our future QB. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The happiest part of this pick for me, is that LaFleur and Gute are being called out for never wanting to go all in, accepting just making the playoffs and not caring about winning titles, it took two years, but they've joined the ranks of Ted and Mac (an elite pairing). Glad you guys are consistent. Annoying and wrong, but consistent. 

Totally agree and I can't buy that argument either because it makes no sense. You're telling me the FA spending spree last season wasn't going all in?

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

When you can get a franchise QB, you take them. NO ifs, ands or buts about it! 

Some scouts have Eason rated much higher than Love.   Should we go out and pick him in round 2?    With the failure rate of young QB's this gives us twice the chance of hitting on a franchise QB for the future.   Would that be a good use of assets?   

Going to the absurd to make the point.   We have our QB now.   It wasn't time to add the "next".  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

So then you agree that he has to prove he can do it, so my hoping that he is not Mitch Trubisky is a valid hope?

Blasphemy to compare a Packer player to Trubisky! Go Ryan Leaf if you have to but to NOT invoke a Trubisky! :D

Every draft pick has to prove themselves. I was no Rashan Gary fan, but he's a Packer so I"m a fan. I mean haven't people had enough time to process this and deal with it? Time to get on board. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Seriously since we can’t bump threads, somebody link to the Thompson fired thread and it will be hilarious to see all the people thrilled with Thompson being fired now hating Gute.

I don't think we hate Gute as much as we hate the Gary and now the Love pick. 

Just now, hitnhope said:

Some scouts have Eason rated much higher than Love.   Should we go out and pick him in round 2?    With the failure rate of young QB's this gives us twice the chance of hitting on a franchise QB for the future.   Would that be a good use of assets?   

Going to the absurd to make the point.   We have our QB now.   It wasn't time to add the "next".  

What 'some scouts' think doesn't matter. What matters is what OUR scouts thought and they thought he was a franchise QB. 

Just now, Joe said:

Totally agree and I can't buy that argument either because it makes no sense. You're telling me the FA spending spree last season wasn't going all in?

So which is it?  Do you want to go all in or plan for the future?

Cause they can't do both.  They couldn't do it then and they can't do it now.

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

What 'some scouts' think doesn't matter. What matters is what OUR scouts thought and they thought he was a franchise QB. 

The same group that traded a 1st round pick in Randall for Deshne Kizer?   The same group that picked Gary with the 12th pick last year?

I'm happy with the pick.  Going into the draft I was pessimistic about how the board would play out for us.  My prediction was all the top WRs and OTs would be gone, then we would be left with ILBs being the best of the rest which we historically have just not invested much into since AJ.  I was assuming trade down or Love, my only real surprise was that we traded up to get him.

The facts are that Aaron is in decline, going to be 37 this year, and has a nagging injury bug.  There's a very good chance Love will be filling in games before he's become the actual starter.  This was the first year Aaron looked actually bad IMO.  He was missing simple throws with god awful mechanics, holding onto the ball way  too long, refusing to take his easy checkdowns, and refusing to give guys a chance.  He still shows glimpses of what he once was, but his stubbornness is winning out and its noticeable. 

To anyone saying this is "giving up" are apparently unaware that the offseason isn't over yet and we can make plenty of moves.  If you were under the impression that a single first round pick was going to be what makes or breaks us next year then we obviously aren't close enough to be going all in anyway.