3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Who snaps does this pick threaten the most?  Tonyan or Lewis?

I tend to think Lewis is set - for his blocking if for nothing else.
Or - if he's the perceived replacement for Vitale.....maybe he doesnt challenge any of the TEs.

Any 3rd WR

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Who snaps does this pick threaten the most?  Tonyan or Lewis?

I tend to think Lewis is set - for his blocking if for nothing else.
Or - if he's the perceived replacement for Vitale.....maybe he doesnt challenge any of the TEs.

Yeah, great question.  I'd guess he'd be picking up Vitale snaps primarily, but Jace was already doing that too at the very end?  And Tonyan had some H-back snaps. 

• Graham had >600 snaps.  Tonyan and Vitale almost 200 each.  Jace 60.  
  • Graham-Vitale-Tonyan-Jace combined for >1000 snaps, and ~500 for Mercedes.  
  • Snaps to go around, but how MLF will reallocate them this year is a wild guess. 
  • Like you say I'd guess Lewis will continue to get used as before, but who knows?  Jace, Deguara, and Funchess obviously don't have Lewis's size, power, and blocking expertise.  Maybe they're committing to go even more power-run-obsessive, and will use Lewis even more?  Also possible that since run is so dependent on threat of pass, that the run will actually have more space and do better using two pass-threat guys in Jace and Deguara rather than showing Lewis so often?  
  • I also wonder whether Dillon will factor into this?  Might he absorb some of Vitale's snaps as fullback/H-back?  
  • it will be really interesting to see who gets use, how, and to what effect!
  • Like 1

LOL Went to TDN to read their write up on Degaura. I'd not paid a whole lot of attention to the TEs pre-draft, so was interested to see what they had to say.  Damn....they didnt even have him listed!  Then it hit me. They's already switched to 2021 prospects.

10 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, great question.  I'd guess he'd be picking up Vitale snaps primarily, but Jace was already doing that too at the very end?  And Tonyan had some H-back snaps. 

• Graham had >600 snaps.  Tonyan and Vitale almost 200 each.  Jace 60.  
  • Graham-Vitale-Tonyan-Jace combined for >1000 snaps, and ~500 for Mercedes.  
  • Snaps to go around, but how MLF will reallocate them this year is a wild guess. 
  • Like you say I'd guess Lewis will continue to get used as before, but who knows?  Jace, Deguara, and Funchess obviously don't have Lewis's size, power, and blocking expertise.  Maybe they're committing to go even more power-run-obsessive, and will use Lewis even more?  Also possible that since run is so dependent on threat of pass, that the run will actually have more space and do better using two pass-threat guys in Jace and Deguara rather than showing Lewis so often?  
  • I also wonder whether Dillon will factor into this?  Might he absorb some of Vitale's snaps as fullback/H-back?  
  • it will be really interesting to see who gets use, how, and to what effect!

I'm not a fan of Sternberger getting too many snaps at the Hback position. Occasional deception? Sure. Fine. Why not.
But I think him too slight for the pounding and see his stronger suit being being as a true move TE at the LOS. To me his true talents are fluid route running and receptions. Let Lewis and others (Deguara/Dillon/Williams) do the truly dirty work. 

25 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Any 3rd WR

Yeah, I wonder how much 11 if ever they'll play? 

• is there really a distinction?  Will 12 with Jace split out be different in any significant way from 11 with Funchess, Lazard, or ESB split out?  
  • Is there real distinction between 21 with Vitale or Dillon in backfield from 12 with Jace or Deguara or Dillon in backfield?  
  • I wonder how much 22 they might play?  Both Jones and Dillon, AND two TE's? 
  • Or how much 13, with Lewis inline blocking, Deguara as H-back, and perhaps Jace somewhere besides?  
  • I love Adams as a craftsman and with his feet.  I do admit sometimes wishing he had speed, so that in some of those 12/21/22/13 type sets that often suggest run, that if the secondary creeps in too much anticipating run, that he might have more speed to get clear over the top.  I wonder if in some 12 sets, that MVS might still get some snaps and be a sometimes-effective deep threat.  (Both as an occasional target, but also just to keep the secondary from constricting too much.  

Looking at his tape he looks like the TE version of Wes Welker. A short compact TE, nothing flashy, doesn't have great speed but always finds a way to get open and catches everything. He should create a lot of mismatches. I'm very impressed how the guy creates separation which has been a problem with our receivers, he's wide open on many of his catches. Really like this pick, very looking forward to see him and Jace on the field together.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'm not a fan of Sternberger getting too many snaps at the Hback position. Occasional deception? Sure. Fine. Why not.
But I think him too slight for the pounding and see his stronger suit being being as a true move TE at the LOS. To me his true talents are fluid route running and receptions. Let Lewis and others (Deguara/Dillon/Williams) do the truly dirty work. 

Thanks for input there.  Helpful thoughts.  

It was noted that when he did play some late in the year, it was largely H-back.  And that his blocking as H-back was decent; but he was pretty lousy for any LOS or in-line blocking.  

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks for input there.  Helpful thoughts. It was noted that when he did play some late in the year, it was largely H-back.  And that his blocking as H-back was decent; but he was pretty lousy for any LOS or in-line blocking.  

I think the best characterization of his blocking skills would be: he's willing - which is appreciated. Maybe he'll bulk up some (and not lose his fluid movement skills) - but somebody else said it somewhere else - he looks more like Jordy than the prototypical big body TE.

In this offense, the TEs will have to do some blocking. A reason (in addition to age and general decline.....) Jimmy was let go IMO.

Graham made his bones split off the tackle and not involving himself in blocking schemes. A few years back he had a contract dispute where he was trying to characterize himself as a WR rather than a TE. This offensive scheme isnt as forgiving for TEs that dont have a bit of nasty in them.

13 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, I wonder how much 11 if ever they'll play? 

• is there really a distinction?  Will 12 with Jace split out be different in any significant way from 11 with Funchess, Lazard, or ESB split out?  
  • Is there real distinction between 21 with Vitale or Dillon in backfield from 12 with Jace or Deguara or Dillon in backfield?  
  • I wonder how much 22 they might play?  Both Jones and Dillon, AND two TE's? 
  • Or how much 13, with Lewis inline blocking, Deguara as H-back, and perhaps Jace somewhere besides?  
  • I love Adams as a craftsman and with his feet.  I do admit sometimes wishing he had speed, so that in some of those 12/21/22/13 type sets that often suggest run, that if the secondary creeps in too much anticipating run, that he might have more speed to get clear over the top.  I wonder if in some 12 sets, that MVS might still get some snaps and be a sometimes-effective deep threat.  (Both as an occasional target, but also just to keep the secondary from constricting too much.  

Remains to be seen, but I'm guessing not much. I distinctly remember MLF being overly sensitive to 3rd and 7 situations. I think that's why you saw plenty of run plays on second and long. Obviously every coach tries to stay out of "long" yardage situations, but 3rd and 7 should not be the death sentence he seemed to think it was. I think you see where this is going. Probably lots of 2 tight end sets, and 1st and 2nd down run plays. Lots of TE drags, WR screens. Who knows, thats just my guess. If that translates to not a lot of chunk plays, that's a tough way to make a living ---- 4 yards at a time.

Edited by cannondale

5 hours ago, Leader said:

LOL Went to TDN to read their write up on Degaura. I'd not paid a whole lot of attention to the TEs pre-draft, so was interested to see what they had to say.  Damn....they didnt even have him listed!  Then it hit me. They's already switched to 2021 prospects.

For whatever reason the idiots at PFF didn't even deem AJ Dillon good enough to rate?  I think we might have taken him a round early, but there is absolutely no excuse for a major outlet like that not to at least grade the guy.