The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. Now it's a negative if we don't sign him, lol.

I don't think so.

He will obviously be our QB2 if we would sign him. And iirc his demands were pretty high last(?) year.

So i think nobody expects us to spend big money for a Backup.

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

I don't think so.

He will obviously be our QB2 if we would sign him. And iirc his demands were pretty high last(?) year.

So i think nobody expects us to spend big money for a Backup.

Us leaking that the workout went well and then not signing him would indicate that we decided not to sign him for reasons outside of football. That has been the biggest issue with him this entire time. Kap isn't going to get a big contract.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Us leaking that the workout went well and then not signing him would indicate that we decided not to sign him for reasons outside of football. That has been the biggest issue with him this entire time. Kap isn't going to get a big contract.

I think the workout could go well and there is still the possibility that both Parties don't come to an agreement, financially.

There is no big deal behind that.

Of course, If we don't start negotiations then we will receive bad Press.

Just now, Styrian Raider said:

I think the workout could go well and there is still the possibility that both Parties don't come to an agreement, financially.

There is no big deal behind that.

Of course, If we don't start negotiations then we will receive bad Press.

We reportedly had him at the facility for 6 hours so it looks like we're seriously considering signing him. Kap has been getting a huge check from Nike. He reportedly wanted 9-10M 5 years ago.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We reportedly had him at the facility for 6 hours so it looks like we're seriously considering signing him. Kap has been getting a huge check from Nike. He reportedly wanted 9-10M 5 years ago.

I wish McDaniels was here last year so we weren't learning a new offense this year. 

If he had been, I'd offer Kaepernick an incentive laden deal with little up front and tell him he gets the majority of snaps with the first and second team for the pre season to convince us to sign him for the regular season. 

Then, if he balls out, cool. If not, thank you for throwing the football for us while our starter rests up. Seems like a win-win imo. But with the new offense coming in, I doubt we'd take him on as a glorified camp arm. 

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I wish McDaniels was here last year so we weren't learning a new offense this year. 

If he had been, I'd offer Kaepernick an incentive laden deal with little up front and tell him he gets the majority of snaps with the first and second team for the pre season to convince us to sign him for the regular season. 

Then, if he balls out, cool. If not, thank you for throwing the football for us while our starter rests up. Seems like a win-win imo. But with the new offense coming in, I doubt we'd take him on as a glorified camp arm. 

I just don't think the risk is worth the potential reward, he sucked his last year in the league and that was like 6 years ago. The last thing we need is a distraction in the locker room and he'd be one of the biggest possible distractions we could add. Both with his off the field activism and the fact that if Carr ever played meh there would be a media frenzy about Kap playing.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Kap and DC has a rivalry from the old Mountain West days. I could see some drama in the locker room at some point. 

I doubt that either one of them care about their battles in the Mountain West. There's a reason that teams basically try to avoid backups that are a distraction at all cost, it's terrible for the locker room. Kap would create an absolute media circus around the team. We'd get coverage for signing him, we'd likely get negative coverage for not playing him especially if DC struggles at any point, and he's very outspoken off the field. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I doubt that either one of them care about their battles in the Mountain West. There's a reason that teams basically try to avoid backups that are a distraction at all cost, it's terrible for the locker room. Kap would create an absolute media circus around the team. We'd get coverage for signing him, we'd likely get negative coverage for not playing him especially if DC struggles at any point, and he's very outspoken off the field. 

This is correct and honestly, I don't think he even cares to play. Just think he wants to keep his name out there bc he's a grifter and that's what they do. It's what they have to do

On 5/28/2022 at 12:18 AM, NYRaider said:

Both with his off the field activism and the fact that if Carr ever played meh there would be a media frenzy about Kap playing

I like Kaepernick and I'd definitely be down for looking at him as a better backup than we have and a guy that can bring something different but if Carr has a few average or poor games this forum is going to be crazy 😬😂

Just now, Darbsk said:

I like Kaepernick and I'd definitely be down for looking at him as a better backup than we have and a guy that can bring something different but if Carr has a few average or poor games this forum is going to be crazy 😬😂

Is Kapernick really a better option then the two guys we currently have though?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Is Kapernick really a better option then the two guys we currently have though?

Well, that remains to be seen but he did have something to offer a number of years ago and I'd imagine McDaniels is a coach that can really use a different skillset. He did well with a washed up Newton year before last. Kaepernick I would say has more talent than the other two, whether he's as good reading a defence, decision making and so on is debatable.

I think after all the negatives last year it could be a nice PR thing but could come back to bite us as you say if Carr doesn't ball out or if there's any media distraction......

Just now, Darbsk said:

Well, that remains to be seen but he did have something to offer a number of years ago and I'd imagine McDaniels is a coach that can really use a different skillset. He did well with a washed up Newton year before last. Kaepernick I would say has more talent than the other two, whether he's as good reading a defence, decision making and so on is debatable.

I think after all the negatives last year it could be a nice PR thing but could come back to bite us as you say if Carr doesn't ball out or if there's any media distraction......

Kap hasn't played professional football in 6 years and wasn't very good during his final season with the 49ers. The Patriots offense ranked 27th in both points scored/yards gained in 2020 with Cam Newton starting. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kap hasn't played professional football in 6 years and wasn't very good during his final season with the 49ers. The Patriots offense ranked 27th in both points scored/yards gained in 2020 with Cam Newton starting. 

Not really sure what you're angling at? I've acknowledged it's a risk for sure. McDaniels did a great job with a clearly washed up Cam Newton (who I never thought was very good anyway) so my point is that even if Kaepernick isn't great after such a long layoff he can probably make chicken soup out of chicken feathers.

I do share concerns whether after so long off he'll be able to react at game speed or if he'll be a deer in headlights but let's be honest, if Carr goes down the other backups aren't saving our season and Kaep just might be able to drop in for a play or two here and there like Mariota did with some effect IMO.

Maybe he's washed up too, we as fans won't know until we see him play but I'd take a chance on Kaep over quite a few backups out there honestly.