The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh even in 2016 carr had a lower completion % in the redzone 48% than Winston 49%. It’s not all gruden 

I do not think it is all Gruden.  He is a big part.  All you have to do is watch Mariota run the same plays in the red zone vs Chargers to see that Carr is part of the problem also.  Carr runs the play and then gives up usually when it is not there right away.  Mariota ran the same plays and did not give up until he was forced to. 

Carr = there is another play  Mariota = I need to make something happen

This mind set can also play into TO's.  Great QBs can extend the plays while increasing the chances for success without acquiring unnecessary risk.  That is how a great QB will elevate the players around him.

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not think it is all Gruden.  He is a big part.  All you have to do is watch Mariota run the same plays in the red zone vs Chargers to see that Carr is part of the problem also.  Carr runs the play and then gives up usually when it is not there right away.  Mariota ran the same plays and did not give up until he was forced to. 

This mind set can also play into TO's.  Great QBs can extend the plays while increasing the chances for success without acquiring unnecessary risk.  That is how a great QB will elevate the players around him.

Been saying that forever, but would get bashed for it. Carr is like a programmed A.I. There is no improvisation. So many examples over the years, Falcons/Colts last year, Vikings/Jets in 2019, MANY games in 2018. If there is nothing there for the play, he legit just shuts down the rest of the game. Not only does he not extend plays with his legs, but he doesn't throw guys open or throw into tight windows giving the play a chance. Many QB's have a way to extend plays: Watson, Wilson, Murray, Jackson, Allen with their legs, and then Stafford, Rodgers, Prescott, Brady, Tannehil, all have the ability to throw into a super tight window extremely effectively which also extends the play. Two QB's similar to Carr in this respect who also have no improvisation ability are Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garroppolo. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This. Carr lives for tomorrow in the redzone others play like tomorrow isn’t promised 

On 5/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, NYRaider said:

I think a lot of fans have forgotten what it's like to have top tier QB play it has been almost two decades...

we never have had a top tier QB EVER. Change My Mind. 😃

9 hours ago, G said:

we never have had a top tier QB EVER. Change My Mind. 😃

Rich Gannon was a 4x Pro Bowler/2 time All-Pro between 1999-2002 and capped that off with an MVP following the 2002 season. 

Over that 4 year period he passed for 15,787 yards (64% comp), 105 TD, 44 INT and rushed for 1,214 yards (4.9 ypc), 11 TD. While leading the Raiders to a 41-23 record, 3 playoff berths, and a Super Bowl appearance. 

Edited by NYRaider

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

And if there is a stat that has something like “successful risks” Mahomes is probably Top 3 and Carr Bottom 12.

is that not what this is? What am i missing? 

Completion % above expected
the less likely would put you on the left side?

I think tis is only showing passes that were deemed to have a 30-70% catch rate though. 
No doubt the 1-30% mahommes would blow Carr away. 

29 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Except in the redzone 🤦🏽‍♂️

Carr's only completed 48% of his passes inside the 10 yard line which was 5th worst of any starting QB in the league, only Big Ben, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, and Sam Darnold were worse. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Inside the 10 yard line...

Aaron Rodgers: 39/48 (81%), 29 TD, 0 INT

Derek Carr: 24/49 (48%), 12 TD, 0 INT

Herbert: 19/33 57% 13td 0int

lock: 14/24 58% 11td 1int

mahomie: 29/46 63% 21 td 1int

4th best qb in our division 🤦🏽‍♂️Inside the 10