Draft Day Thread: Day 3

MrOaktown_56

On 4/25/2020 at 2:45 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

So no Gabe trade yet. Interesting.

Mayock said in his presser that they never wanted to trade Gabe, FWIW. Simpson is likely Incognito's replacement while Good could replace Jackson after this season and save us like $8M. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock said in his presser that they never wanted to trade Gabe, FWIW. Simpson is likely Incognito's replacement while Good could replace Jackson after this season and save us like $8M. 

I think Mayock was talking about flexibility with vets for a reason. I think if gabe plays well he stays long term. But Good could be outta here next year to another team and simpson can be groomed to replace incognito.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Mayock was talking about flexibility with vets for a reason. I think if gabe plays well he stays long term. But Good could be outta here next year to another team and simpson can be groomed to replace incognito.

Ideally Simpson could replace Incognito at LG after the season (assuming he retires) and you could trade Jackson for a mid-round pick (free up $9.6M) while resigning Good for like $3M per year. Then you'd have two starting OG making like $4M combined and use that cap space to attack other positions in free agency. 

As it stands with the rookies under contract we'll be sitting at like $186M on the books for the 2021 season. According to sources the salary cap could spike up to $240M in 2021 with the new CBA. If Edwards, Robertson, Simpson play well enough you could cut Williams, Joyner, and Jackson after this season and free up another $30M. 

And our only projected starters that are going to be free agents after this season are Maliek Collins, Jonathan Hankins, and Damarious Randall. Plus we don't have any good young players that are due for a big extension. 

So in theory you could go into next offseason with 16/22 starters still under contract (maybe 15 if Incognito retires) and $84M in cap space to work with.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

One thing to probably keep an eye on is the supplemental draft. College football imo will have a hard time starting the season especially if students are not back into classes. Don't know how they can justify having student-athletes play when schools are still shut down. Might see some bigger name players decide to enter the supplemental draft with the college season up in the air. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

One thing to probably keep an eye on is the supplemental draft. College football imo will have a hard time starting the season especially if students are not back into classes. Don't know how they can justify having student-athletes play when schools are still shut down. Might see some bigger name players decide to enter the supplemental draft with the college season up in the air. 

Saw this floating around the web too. True. Here comes Lawrence to us for QB! Haha I kid

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Very interesting... honestly never thought about it... I’m a “covid denier” Lol... just way to return to regular life tomorrow... but we could see a good amount of guys entering the supplemental draft.  

is Lawrence even eligible for it? Because my understanding is you had to be eligible for the regular draft but didn’t enter.  Lawrence isn’t 3 Years our of high school.  

14 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

read that too

16 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Come on down Trevor Lawerence.