Trent Williams traded to 49ers

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

You guys are just figuring this out.  Of course Bruce blew it last year.  We all know that.  I don't really care what Rivera has to say about pre-rivera.  The only question for Rivera that I want answered is did we really never get an offer better than a 5th in this years draft?  Or did they get an offer at some point and refuse it wanting more, screwing themselves again and then caving in finally for peanuts.

We’ll never know that, but I doubt anyone was giving us a 3rd & 5th for Trent.

We’re going to be liking the draft next year when we have that second 3rd round pick. I’m already looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Story out today that Williams had a good meeting with Rivera until he told him to "prove yourself" and at that point, he wanted out.  

All I know is, Trent Williams or not, a new coach taking over after Club Jay would be wise not to offer any contract extensions until working with the players for a full season.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Story out today that Williams had a good meeting with Rivera until he told him to "prove yourself" and at that point, he wanted out.  

All I know is, Trent Williams or not, a new coach taking over after Club Jay would be wise not to offer any contract extensions until working with the players for a full season.  

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291c0e594aeacff28cfa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There’s so many different stories that I simply don’t care anymore. Dude is gone and that’s that. We should lock this thread and move on. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There’s so many different stories that I simply don’t care anymore. Dude is gone and that’s that. We should lock this thread and move on. 

Yeah, he;s gone, but it;s still the biggest story out of the draft and a thread that shouldn't be closed just because.  

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

As a wrestling fan, I've learned over the years that you can never say never.  Invariably, business can happen again.  

I think in this instance you can also never say never, especially if his relationship with Snyder is as strong as he says it is.  Williams may never suit up for the Redskins again, but he played for them at a very high level for a decade.   Snyder may decide that it's best for business to put him in once this is beyond everybody and tensions (that were caused by someone no longer here) have eased up.  

The question I think is more appropriate is whether or not he is deserving outside of all of this, judging from his play on the field.  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, he;s gone, but it;s still the biggest story out of the draft and a thread that shouldn't be closed just because.  

If that’s true, it’s a damn shame, bc the biggest story out of the draft should be that we just drafted our best prospect since we drafted Sean Taylor in 2004 and there’s a real chance that Chase Young could change the direction of the franchise  - and especially our defense - like Sean did in 2004. Our D has been average at best - usually poor - for an entire decade despite having talent to be better. The addition of Chase Young could change that where our D could be a top 10 D again, as soon as this year. That should be the biggest story of the draft!

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

He deserves to be in the Redskins ring of honor I think. One day.

I agree, players should be judged by what they do on the field, not off the field stuff. The perfect example is Ray Lewis getting into the Hall of Fame. Off of character, I don’t think he deserves it, but he was arguably the best MLB of all time. That being said, he refused to ply for the Redskins for an entire season, I don’t see how Snyder agrees to put that player into his Ring of Honor and I think no matter when it would happen, the fans would boo Trent.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As a wrestling fan, I've learned over the years that you can never say never.  Invariably, business can happen again.  

I think in this instance you can also never say never, especially if his relationship with Snyder is as strong as he says it is.  Williams may never suit up for the Redskins again, but he played for them at a very high level for a decade.   Snyder may decide that it's best for business to put him in once this is beyond everybody and tensions (that were caused by someone no longer here) have eased up.  

The question I think is more appropriate is whether or not he is deserving outside of all of this, judging from his play on the field.  

On the field, he’s definitely deserving, he was the best Redskins player this past decade. That being said, I would think, even if it’s 10 years from now when/if Trent would get put into the Redskins a Ring of Honor that he would get booed by the fans when he returned for that honor. So, I don’t think it will ever be “good for business” for Snyder to put Trent in the Ring of Honor.

I really wanted Trent to remain with the Redskins and finish his career here, but the last two years tarnished his reputation with the fan base and I don’t think that will ever be mended. Yes, Trent’s actions are one of the reasons Bruce was fired and we’ll forever be grateful for that but how he forced himself out, won’t be forgotten IMO. The man refused to play for the Redskins for an entire season while the team had their worst season on the field since the 60s aka 50 years. That should never be forgotten amongst fans, you can’t reward that kind of action as a franchise, even if it was bc of Bruce Allen. He turned his back on his teammates and the fans, while the team was losing and losing.

I hate how it ended with Trent and how he seemed entitled to get a contract extension that paid him QB money when he’s still making $15 million a year - which, like Dunny, he still hasn’t gotten from his new team - but Trent was a damn good player, arguably the best offensive lineman of the decade and if not the best, definitely in the top 5.

The discussion will be someday - especially if he wins a Super Bowl within the next few years with the 49ers - if Trent is a Hall of Fame player.

I still think a discussion should be had about Chris Samuels in that vain too, he was like Trent this decade, a top 5 OL of last decade. 

What hurts Trent & Chris is that the Redskins weren’t a good team the last 20 years, but that shouldn’t take away how great of LTs they were the last 20 years. So, if Trent can be a 49ers Super Bowl champion maybe that gets him into the Hall of Fame. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That being said, he refused to ply for the Redskins for an entire season, I don’t see how Snyder agrees to put that player into his Ring of Honor and I think no matter when it would happen, the fans would boo Trent.

This. 

If Trent goes into the Ring of Honor, it would defeat the whole purpose. This is certainly not comparable to something like Art Monk joining the Jets at the end of his career, and it’s not even the same as Riggo sitting out the season over his contract. When Gibbs went to talk to Riggo, he then decided to come home. If Trent had relented after they fired Allen and the training staff and sent Rivera to talk to him — that would be one thing. But he didn’t come back. He doubled down on his demands to leave. 

He’s not a Redskin. That’s by his choice and his choice alone. He could have worked this thing out, been a Redskin for life, a borderline HOFer with a Redskins bust, and a no-doubt inner circle Ring of Honor guy. That was always an option for him. And he cared more about getting money and leaving the Redskins behind. So that’s what gets. And he shouldn’t get the other things. 

It would be one thing if we actually won something with Trent Williams.  But we didn't.  He was a good player on bad teams.  Then he screwed us over.  He is delusional if he thinks after consuming the team with a season+ long drama and publicly trashing staff that we should honor him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

It would be one thing if we actually won something with Trent Williams.  But we didn't.  He was a good player on bad teams.  Then he screwed us over.  He is delusional if he thinks after consuming the team with a season+ long drama and publicly trashing staff that we should honor him.

Things heal in time.  Maybe he and Snyder sit down for dinner 15-20 years from now and old wounds have gone away and they both are agreeable to doing it?  Hard to tell at this point.