5.175 - Kamal Martin [LB; Minnesota]

CWood21

17 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

A 2 down LB is essentially worthless in the draft at this point

At the 5th round? WTF does this even mean?

When is it worth it? 1st round? 7th? Never?

Jesus this line sucks..

Do I need to make fun of your post more or are we done

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

At the 5th round? WTF does this even mean?

When is it worth it? 1st round? 7th? Never?

Jesus this line sucks..

Do I need to make fun of your post more or are we done

GB's strategy to draft LBs is totally working out.  Maybe don't go for a need in the 5th round? You're the smart guy here.  Draft totally invaluable positions like RB and H back in rounds 2 and 3, spend 1 and 4 on someone who won't start for 3 years, and reach for a limited player at a position of need in the 5th.  Brilliant!

2 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

GB's strategy to draft LBs is totally working out.  Maybe don't go for a need in the 5th round? You're the smart guy here.  Draft totally invaluable positions like RB and H back in rounds 2 and 3, spend 1 and 4 on someone who won't start for 3 years, and reach for a limited player at a position of need in the 5th.  Brilliant!

Just to clarify, you're upset at the utilization of taking RBs and TEs with Day 2 picks due to draft capital investment theory, but then feel that ILB would be a significantly better investment?

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just to clarify, you're upset at the utilization of taking RBs and TEs with Day 2 picks due to draft capital investment theory, but then feel that ILB would be a significantly better investment?

Maybe, maybe not.  Logan Wilson was a highly rated player who was available at the end of Round 2.  I think they had their guys set in mind, and didn't want to risk losing them by playing the board.  ILBs is generally a much more valued position by the NFL, and a weakness which is very apparent each year in GB.  If they had a system and guys who they could peg as "scheme fits" in later rounds then we'd be fine skimping earlier on ILBs , but that's been as far from the case as possible

Edited by Patriotplayer90

5 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Logan Wilson was a highly rated player who was available at the end of Round 2.  I think they had their guys set in mind, and didn't want to risk losing them by playing the board.  ILBs is generally a much more valued position by the NFL, and a weakness which is very apparent each year in GB.  If they had a system and guys who they could peg as "scheme fits" in later rounds then we'd be fine skimping earlier on ILBs , but that's been as far from the case as possible

ILB is dependent on the DL, RB is dependent on the OL. Horse a piece. Elite ILB and RBs can make plays independent of the guys in front of them but the every day "scheme fit" players pretty much really solely on them. I don't see a difference in how they are valued or how they should be. RBs get paid slightly less because of more wear and tear and less trust their bodies hold up, but McCaffrey and Mosely were the last elites as their position to get paid and their deals are comparable.

18 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Except most of the league disagreed with you this year. Almost all of the running backs and tight ends who were drafted went in rounds 2-4.

One of the hallmarks of this year's draft is that after the first 15 picks or so, all of the usual things that would cause position groups to fall (depth at wide receiver, positional value for running backs, tight ends and two-down defensive tackles) went out the window. You can say this was a bad overall strategy, that's fine. But then it was a bad overall strategy by most of the league, not just the Packers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deps said:

Except most of the league disagreed with you this year. Almost all of the running backs and tight ends who were drafted went in rounds 2-4.

One of the hallmarks of this year's draft is that after the first 15 picks or so, all of the usual things that would cause position groups to fall (depth at wide receiver, positional value for running backs, tight ends and two-down defensive tackles) went out the window. You can say this was a bad overall strategy, that's fine. But then it was a bad overall strategy by most of the league, not just the Packers.

Most of those prospects were drafted where they were predicted to go and how they were universally valued.  I don't think it's accurate to say that we were following a league trend by grouping the prospects that we selected with those who were more highly regarded.  I'm sure that we're probably the only team who drafted a QB who will sit 3 years, a 2 down RB and glorified FB with our first 4 picks.  Definitely not a league-wide strategy in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Most of those prospects were drafted where they were predicted to go and how they were universally valued.  I don't think it's accurate to say that we were following a league trend by grouping the prospects that we selected with those who were more highly regarded.  I'm sure that we're probably the only team who drafted a QB who will sit 3 years, a 2 down RB and glorified FB with our first 4 picks.  Definitely not a league-wide strategy in the draft.

We're also trying to be the first team in NFL history to employ back to back to back HOF QB's, if that's the case, the rest of the league can keep their strategies, I like ours. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We're also trying to be the first team in NFL history to employ back to back to back HOF QB's, if that's the case, the rest of the league can keep their strategies, I like ours. 

Wow, so we're already putting Love in the HOF?  We only have 2 of the SBs during that same span, maybe there's more to a team that a HOF QB?

3 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Wow, so we're already putting Love in the HOF?  We only have 2 of the SBs during that same span, maybe there's more to a team that a HOF QB?

Note the key word "trying" we're the second team who has even had a chance to try, that's pretty good considering the league's been around for 100 years.

Winning SB's isn't easy, not sure if you've figured this out yet but the league has implemented a bunch of stuff to keep teams from doing what the Patriots have done, that's why since the salary cap, no one else has done what the Patriots have done. 

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Note the key word "trying" we're the second team who has even had a chance to try, that's pretty good considering the league's been around for 100 years.

Winning SB's isn't easy, not sure if you've figured this out yet but the league has implemented a bunch of stuff to keep teams from doing what the Patriots have done, that's why since the salary cap, no one else has done what the Patriots have done. 

If you never try to improve on the issues which kept you from the previous SB, you'll never make another one.  GB doesn't, and that's why they haven't.  Not simply because of how difficult it is, but because of how complacent and satisfied they were with the non-results that they were getting