> 2021 Draft Prospect Thread <

Kiltman

If I'm the Bengals, my draft looks like:

1 Ja'Marr WR
2 Jalen Mayfield or Dillon Radunz or Alex Leatherwood or Jackson Carman or Sam Cosmi or Teven Jenkins OL
3 Quinn Meinerz or Trey Smith or Ben Cleveland or Brady Christensen or Kendrick Green OL or David Moore OL
4 TE
5 DE
6 CB
7 CB
7 LB

UDFA
TE
TE
RB
RB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

What problem does that create? If Chase ends up being great, and Sewell ends up just being an average LT, the Bengals did a good job. There's no gurantee Slater or Sewell become the next great OL's. They might both just be average or bust.

Bengals should simply take the guy they have the most faith in succeeding, and that's likely the WR who already has a rapport with their franchise QB. Tee Higgins is likely a very good #2 WR, not a true #1 like Ja'Marr. We also don't know how highly the Bengals think of Jonah Williams. Maybe they believe he blossoms into a true LT now that he;'s 2 years removed from injury.

And Chase can’t bust? I think we’re all under the pretense that everyone can bust, right? Maybe there’s more potential to bust than others but still....everyone can bust. I can say the same thing you did just replace the names. The problem taking Chase creates is that you ignored an issue on the Bengals when you could have potentially solved it with Slater or Sewell. Drafting  Chase gives them 3 good WR options. Are all three of them going to catch 100 balls next year? I’m not saying Chase isn’t or isn’t potentially better than Boyd or Higgins but you’re good at WR. You already know you’re good there. What does creating a log jam at WR do for you? Now, you have a glut of talent at WR (creating a problem) where other places you’re hurting (perpetuating another problem). The Cowboys had two good WR options and drafted Lamb. Now, Gallup is expendable. And most likely going to be a FA. They could have rolled with Cooper and Gallup as a good one-two punch and drafted say a DL, CB, S and stopped some bleeding on an atrocious D. On the same logic, we couldn’t have used a Sutton or a Darius Leonard over Goedert? Luxury picks are for teams well and away in great shape. In today’s NFL, BPA is for later rounds and for SB contenders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

And Chase can’t bust? I think we’re all under the pretense that everyone can bust, right? Maybe there’s more potential to bust than others but still....everyone can bust. I can say the same thing you did just replace the names. The problem taking Chase creates is that you ignored an issue on the Bengals when you could have potentially solved it with Slater or Sewell. Drafting  Chase gives them 3 good WR options. Are all three of them going to catch 100 balls next year? I’m not saying Chase isn’t or isn’t potentially better than Boyd or Higgins but you’re good at WR. You already know you’re good there. What does creating a log jam at WR do for you? Now, you have a glut of talent at WR (creating a problem) where other places you’re hurting (perpetuating another problem). The Cowboys had two good WR options and drafted Lamb. Now, Gallup is expendable. And most likely going to be a FA. They could have rolled with Cooper and Gallup as a good one-two punch and drafted say a DL, CB, S and stopped some bleeding on an atrocious D. On the same logic, we couldn’t have used a Sutton or a Darius Leonard over Goedert? Luxury picks are for teams well and away in great shape. In today’s NFL, BPA is for later rounds and for SB contenders. 

That's not creating a problem, because that problem already exists. Not addressing it in round 1 isn't the same as ignoring it either. If they hit on a OG in round 2 and a C in round 3, they addressed the problem. You are also assuming Jonah Williams cannot be an average or better starter at LT.
Even if Jonah can't play LT, You take Radunz in round 2, move Jonah to LG, draft a C in round 3, and boom, you have a potentially good OL. Maybe very good in a year or two (rookie OL rarely dominate, especially LT's). Radunz---Jonah---Meinerz or Kendrick Green---best interior OL currently on the Bengals roster---Reiff.
That's not bad at all. And you have Ja'Marr Chase. 

Edited by Jeezla

First time watching Horn, very impressed based off the auburn game. Very physical with the wideout, he doesn’t give up ground and has excellent ball skills and can bat every ball down. Can get grabby, but he’s just physical. Has athleticism to not get beat on moves. I was very impressed on how smoothly he handles switches. Going to keep watching him.

35 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

First time watching Horn, very impressed based off the auburn game. Very physical with the wideout, he doesn’t give up ground and has excellent ball skills and can bat every ball down. Can get grabby, but he’s just physical. Has athleticism to not get beat on moves. I was very impressed on how smoothly he handles switches. Going to keep watching him.

That's the only game I could find of him and I was really impressed. Gonna look for more now that he's a realistic target for us.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

That's not creating a problem, because that problem already exists. Not addressing it in round 1 isn't the same as ignoring it either. If they hit on a OG in round 2 and a C in round 3, they addressed the problem. You are also assuming Jonah Williams cannot be an average or better starter at LT.
Even if Jonah can't play LT, You take Radunz in round 2, move Jonah to LG, draft a C in round 3, and boom, you have a potentially good OL. Maybe very good in a year or two (rookie OL rarely dominate, especially LT's). Radunz---Jonah---Meinerz or Kendrick Green---best interior OL currently on the Bengals roster---Reiff.
That's not bad at all. And you have Ja'Marr Chase. 

I don’t understand your logic. You admit it’s a problem. You KNOW WR isn’t a problem yet are assuming lesser prospects can solve your admitted problem. I mean....

Lets just get this clear; developing your OL > developing a already established WR corp?  No? 

I know you like Chase. I do too. But if the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, the last thing I’d want is another WR. So just answer that and that alone; if the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, who you  taking? 

42 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t understand your logic. You admit it’s a problem. You KNOW WR isn’t a problem yet are assuming lesser prospects can solve your admitted problem. I mean....

Lets just get this clear; developing your OL > developing a already established WR corp?  No? 

I know you like Chase. I do too. But if the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, the last thing I’d want is another WR. So just answer that and that alone; if the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, who you  taking? 

If the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, I'd feel like we probably still need a #1 WR, because Higgins hasn't proven to be that. It's not like they have Jefferson and Theilan. They have a good slot WR and a good #2 WR. I'd take Chase. We already have Mailata and Dillard (our version of Jonah Williams)

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

If the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, i'd feel like we probably still need a #1 WR, because Higgins hasn't proven to be that.

You need to protect the qb first, especially one coming off an acl injury. Drafting a LT and moving Jonah to guard will drastically improve there Oline. They have a horrible OLINE and that’s the main thing they need to uograde over wideout. That will open up the pass and a horrible run game. Bad olines ruins young Qbs 

2 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

You need to protect the qb first, especially one coming off an acl injury. Drafting a LT and moving Jonah to guard will drastically improve there Oline. They have a horrible OLINE and that’s the main thing they need to uograde over wideout. That will open up the pass and a horrible run game. Bad olines ruins young Qbs 

Cool, that's why I'm taking OL in round 2 and 3. If Jonah Williams or my round 2 OT can't hold it down, we'll try again next year or sign on in FA.

Edited by Jeezla

9 hours ago, Jeezla said:

If the Eagles had Boyd and Higgins, I'd feel like we probably still need a #1 WR, because Higgins hasn't proven to be that. It's not like they have Jefferson and Theilan. They have a good slot WR and a good #2 WR. I'd take Chase. We already have Mailata and Dillard (our version of Jonah Williams)

I’m glad you ain’t building the Eagles brotha. Sure, in our hypothetical, we could use a dominate #1 WR, but a Parsons, Surtain, Horn or even Pitts would be more a glaring need. I get that you like Chase. I do too. But WRs are a secondary position while building a football team. 

Top 14 Predictions Not in order

QBs

Lawrence
Wilson
Fields
Lance

Offensive Weapons

Chase
Pitts
D.Smith
Waddle

Defensive Guys

Parsons
Surtain
Farley
Horn

O Line

Sewell
Slater

We're still in a great spot imo. I know some are upset and I get that but our future looks alil brighter with that extra first. Best Case the Dolphins stink and miss playoffs (Bills and Pats in that Division) or Tua gets hurt which I don't root for. Colts are in the hunt til the end but miss playoffs week 16/17 so we still get our first and its in the teens. 

If the four QBs go top 10 and Denver/Dallas/NYG all go defense and Bengals go OL we're looking really good. Maybe if Pitts(or other target) drops to 8/9 we can still trade up and get him with only giving up a 3rd(is that fair)?

27 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I’m glad you ain’t building the Eagles brotha. Sure, in our hypothetical, we could use a dominate #1 WR, but a Parsons, Surtain, Horn or even Pitts would be more a glaring need. I get that you like Chase. I do too. But WRs are a secondary position while building a football team. 

So now we're taking Jaycee Horn over Chase? A guy who was considered a late 1st until his pro day? Im glad you ain't building the eagles either. 

29 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Much easier to find a good wideout in round 2-3 then a good Tackle 

But the Bengals might already have a good tackle. Either way, you can easily argue Chase is BPA, and you can't go wrong taking BPA, whether that's chase or sewell. Bengals could also package up Tee Higgins and their 2nd for a starting LT.

Edited by Jeezla

58 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

So now we're taking Jaycee Horn over Chase? A guy who was considered a late 1st until his pro day? Im glad you ain't building the eagles either. 

Was he? I’d seen Jaycee put in that mid 1st range for awhile by scouts I thought for awhile. Him being CB1 is new though.