> 2021 Draft Prospect Thread <

Kiltman

8 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Solak made a good point about us being analytic driven and probably not wanting to bet on an outlier, especially considering Howie is under tremendous pressure from the media/fans. He’s gotta get this pick right and he probably won’t wanna risk betting on the outlier.

That's valid. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Not sure why you're being so defensive. And Devonta Smith is 6 inches taller than Moore. We can scrutinize his weight for sure. 

You're comparing apples to oranges.

It's more about BMI than just height or weight.

Rondale has a great BMI of 28.2. DeVonta has a predicted BMI of 22.

I'm not betting against either of them though.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Both are a concern definitely. I'd be more open to the possibility of Rondale Moore had he been at least more consistently healthy, circumstances aside. A lot of Rondale's strength is in his upper body, so I think he'll be more likely to get lower body injuries consistently. he's not build like MJD or Sproles.

46 minutes ago, Danger said:

Both are a concern definitely. I'd be more open to the possibility of Rondale Moore had he been at least more consistently healthy, circumstances aside. A lot of Rondale's strength is in his upper body, so I think he'll be more likely to get lower body injuries consistently. he's not build like MJD or Sproles.

mass =/= strength

54 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm not betting against either of them though.

BMI is a farce to begin with. You could be 6'2 225 shredded but considered obese. Not saying Smith is shredded, but he's certainly stronger/tougher and more well built than his frame would typically suggest from an average person.

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

BMI is a farce to begin with. You could be 6'2 225 shredded but considered obese. Not saying Smith is shredded, but he's certainly stronger/tougher and more well built than his frame would typically suggest from an average person.

That's not the point of BMI and you know damn well none of these players look like that. BMI is no end all be all type of thing. It's just something that's usually pretty important, so analytics nerds put a lot of stock into it. I think its part of the puzzle like everything else and should be something you factor in when thinking about the pros and cons, but it wouldn't stop me from drafting Smith like I said before I won't bet against them as outliers.

6 hours ago, Jeezla said:

We need to do a better job tanking this season. No more ties. Just 12 or 13 L's. We got a QB and Derek Stingley Jr riding on this.

Man if we don’t need to package these picks at all to move up next year for the QB and have 4 top 35 picks it’ll be exciting.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:02 PM, Kiltman said:

Vet QBs that seem to be at the end of their time in their current cities: Wilson, Rodgers, Watson (though the legal stuff makes it hazy)

Bunch of QBs next year, gives you the biggest arsenal to get your guy.

Lets you punt this year to see if Hurts is anything while you flush all the dead cap out of the system. A Carson Cleanse.

That would be the though in doing it if you have similar grades on the guys you’re seeing at #12 until the mid-20s.

I don´t think any of those is a better option than what we had this year in terms of drafting your own and young QB and keep the draft capital and cap space.

And still, my point is more inclined to, stockpiling 1sts it´s not really a good strategy. 

Edited by Broadway Joe

When I look at Moore’s hyperextension injury, I think it’s more a testament of his physical traits that he did not sustain a ligamental injury that required surgery.

A class half full approach to this injury.

Where most would have suffered a more serious injury, he doesn’t. 

This might be the most homer take of all time. 

He missed the first 3 games of 2020, only feeding the injury-prone narrative.

Rumors are Moore’s absence was due to waiting for a medical insurance policy to clear, not his readiness to play.

So he's afraid himself to get injured - not really a glowing endorsement. 

It's hard for me to quote this from my phone but this doesn't change my mind on Moore - 3rd or 4th round, sure. Second round? Not a chance. 

29 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don´t think any of those is a better option than what we had this year in terms of drafting your own and young QB and keep the draft capital and cap space. 

I get it if you liked the top 5 QBs, but they didn’t.

3 QBs are going 1/2/3 now that the Niners moved up. Possibly one will be going at #4 too.  So sitting and getting one wasn’t an option, evidenced by them moving back after the Niners moved up. Reports were they were looking to move up to #3 but got outbid. They don’t like the 5th QB for sure and potentially the 4th QB as well.

They could’ve traded like 3 firsts for an unknown prospect at #3 this year, but it was something they didn’t want to do. So they punted to next year where they have more options than settling for a QB they didn’t really like at 6 or trading for Darnold, Jimmy G or any other bad option.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

I get it if you liked the top 5 QBs, but they didn’t.

3 QBs are going 1/2/3 now that the Niners moved up. Possibly one will be going at #4 too.  So sitting and getting one wasn’t an option, evidenced by them moving back after the Niners moved up. Reports were they were looking to move up to #3 but got outbid. They don’t like the 5th QB for sure and potentially the 4th QB as well.

They could’ve traded like 3 firsts for an unknown prospect at #3 this year, but it was something they didn’t want to do. So they punted to next year where they have more options than settling for a QB they didn’t really like at 6 or trading for Darnold, Jimmy G or any other bad option.

We wanted to move up to #2, specifically for Zach Wilson, and that would have cost a bit more than #3. Only way we trade up to #3 is if we call the Jets and make sure they aren't taking Zach Wilson, ala us making sure the Rams werent taking Wentz 1st overall, but the Jets are definitely taking Zach.

If the Jets were going to take Fields or Lance, we'd probably own the #3 pick right now.

Hopefully there is a guy our FO's likes more than Fields/Lance/Mac next year. We probably should have stayed at 6 and taken one. Sam Howell and Carson Strong are the guys I like the most right now for next year, but I'd definitely take Fields over them. Not sure about Lance/Mac'n'cheese moobs Jones. Lance is more likely to bust Josh Allen. Mac Jones is chubby Chad Pennington. Fields, I dunno, but I would have had a lot of optimism that he could be great. Next years class is pure question marks.

Wouldn't mind us trading up to #4 for Fields.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1