> 2021 Draft Prospect Thread <

Kiltman

I would be very disappointed with the pick, a big reason this team is so devoid of talent is their overvalue of the trenches. That´s pretty much the only thing this team has going for it for the last couple of years. I would take a play maker over an OL all day for the 2021 Eagles. 

The only place we have gotten good coaching from is the OL and Stoutland has done a very good job of getting guys ready and this is a deep class for iOL in the second day, plus Herbig, Mailata and Driscoll played well enough for the team to look elsewhere on day one. 

In that scenario I would go Parsons, we need someone who can anchor the defense for years to come since we passed at the chance to do that for the offense this year. 

32 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

The only place we have gotten good coaching from is the OL and Stoutland has done a very good job of getting guys ready and this is a deep class for iOL in the second day, plus Herbig, Mailata and Driscoll played well enough for the team to look elsewhere on day one. 

I can't remember if I read it or heard it somewhere but some mentioned that if Stoutland is as good at his job as we/the media/the league thinks then there is no reason to take an offensive lineman in the first round and I couldn't agree with that more. 

17 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I can't remember if I read it or heard it somewhere but some mentioned that if Stoutland is as good at his job as we/the media/the league thinks then there is no reason to take an offensive lineman in the first round and I couldn't agree with that more. 

At least not this year and with this team so devoid of talent everywhere else. 

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

I remember saying that here, but feel like someone also had that take.

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

In what way is getting Slater a bad thing? The guy can play pretty much anywhere on the line and is a fantastic athlete. Ya, OL isn't our number one need, but we need to build for the future not for next year.... Slater is a fantastic prospect at a very important position.

I would love to get my hands on Slater. It isn't as sexy as CB/WR, but winning through the trenches is never a bad thing.

Building the OL is fine.

I think the issue is resource allocation. You have two young OTs already. So you have to ask is an interior olineman worth a top 12 pick? If they are down on Dillard then it gets easier because Slater can go to RT in a couple years or LT if Mailata would have a setback in development. Don't think any of us know what their opinion of Andre and this point, so it's hard to say. 

If the goal is to get an IOL player who can play multiple positions, you can do that at 37 or 70. As I broke down a couple pages ago you can wait until day 3 too.

Throwing more options to make the oline better won't hurt the team, but when you could be taking a starting CB...of which we only have 1 rn and he's 30. An actually good WR or one of the many positions where we don't have good players at the moment. It just seems a little overkill. 

It's not a horrendous move or anything, Just a "how much does this actually move the needle?" sorta thing on top of "did we really need to do THIS here?"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Might've been you - can't remember but it stuck with me and it's a great take. 

It sucks that it's so obvious in the face of all the other position coaches being so terrible for so many years. Like Duce did well and so did Peele with the TEs. But Stout sticks out so much here and in the league. We were lucky they could retain him.

22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Building the OL is fine.

I think the issue is resource allocation. You have two young OTs already. So you have to ask is an interior olineman worth a top 12 pick? If they are down on Dillard then it gets easier because Slater can go to RT in a couple years or LT if Mailata would have a setback in development. Don't think any of us know what their opinion of Andre and this point, so it's hard to say. 

If the goal is to get an IOL player who can play multiple positions, you can do that at 37 or 70. As I broke down a couple pages ago you can wait until day 3 too.

Throwing more options to make the oline better won't hurt the team, but when you could be taking a starting CB...of which we only have 1 rn and he's 30. An actually good WR or one of the many positions where we don't have good players at the moment. It just seems a little overkill. 

It's not a horrendous move or anything, Just a "how much does this actually move the needle?" sorta thing on top of "did we really need to do THIS here?"

I think this is the best way of argue that approach. Great post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Building the OL is fine.

I don't think this argument is entirely that valid. People worried about "moving the needle" for the current year are too nearsighted. Resource allocation towards the OL is vital for the Eagles.... why? Kelce(33 years old) is year to year and likely gone soon. Lane Johnson(30 years old) hasn't been healthy in forever and is getting up there in years. Who knows when he will fall off a cliff, especially after a year where he played on a busted ankle until it collapsed. Brandon Brooks(31 years old) was great the last time he played but hasn't been on a football field since 2019 and got hurt last offseason not even playing football. Realistically we are only feeling comfortable with the age and health of our OL at LT and LG, assuming Mailata continues to improve and Isaac doesn't get hurt again. Dillard is a complete unknown at this point and a new coaching staff can't factor him in for much considering the future.

Looking at Slater as a guard and only that is thinking in terms for what he would be in 2021. He would obviously be the RT of the future and is very capable of becoming that even as soon as 2022 if Lane's health continues to be an issue.

Yes, taking a WR or CB is a very good idea, but reality is that lots of teams picking before us need CB's and WR's as well. It is entirely possible every single WR or CB worth taking at 12 is gone.

I of course don't think OL is our biggest need atm... but to dismiss the position as saying the Eagles would get a sidegrade or that they overvalue OL is just flat out near sighted. The Eagles almost certainly will be picking an OL with one of the first three picks(they really need it). Hope people are prepared for it.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Devonta Smith and Eric Stokes

or

Jaycee Horn and Terrace Marshall

pick one you cowards 

I'm leaning towards the latter ever since the 166 weigh in for smith. He's like pinkston with better mentality but smaller

47 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm leaning towards the latter ever since the 166 weigh in for smith. He's like pinkston with better mentality but smaller

The 166 doesn’t scare me off any more than 175 did. He’s skinny but really good at either weight. 

That being said, I’d take Horn and Marshall.

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't think this argument is entirely that valid. People worried about "moving the needle" for the current year are too nearsighted. Resource allocation towards the OL is vital for the Eagles.... why? Kelce(33 years old) is year to year and likely gone soon. Lane Johnson(30 years old) hasn't been healthy in forever and is getting up there in years. Who knows when he will fall off a cliff, especially after a year where he played on a busted ankle until it collapsed. Brandon Brooks(31 years old) was great the last time he played but hasn't been on a football field since 2019 and got hurt last offseason not even playing football. Realistically we are only feeling comfortable with the age and health of our OL at LT and LG, assuming Mailata continues to improve and Isaac doesn't get hurt again. Dillard is a complete unknown at this point and a new coaching staff can't factor him in for much considering the future.

Looking at Slater as a guard and only that is thinking in terms for what he would be in 2021. He would obviously be the RT of the future and is very capable of becoming that even as soon as 2022 if Lane's health continues to be an issue.

Yes, taking a WR or CB is a very good idea, but reality is that lots of teams picking before us need CB's and WR's as well. It is entirely possible every single WR or CB worth taking at 12 is gone.

I of course don't think OL is our biggest need atm... but to dismiss the position as saying the Eagles would get a sidegrade or that they overvalue OL is just flat out near sighted. The Eagles almost certainly will be picking an OL with one of the first three picks(they really need it). Hope people are prepared for it.

Moving the needle wasn’t meant for just this year, we are gonna suck. Not much we can do to change that. I mean like this current period of Eagles football. Projecting much beyond 3/4 years is too hard to do. (look where we were 3 years ago). OLine as a whole has one of the better outlooks, which is sad. Lane and Brandon are injury risks, but both could make it 3/4 years more at a good level. Center needs to be addressed, but as I wrote up a couple pages ago...you don’t need to spend a first rounder on one. LG could be improved but we have some solid guys and going back to the Stoutland argument you can address that in other ways.

It’s not firm unshakable ground, but it’s some of the best we have right now. There are other positions critical to this defensive scheme where currently just lack people. We have like one outside corner, two old safeties who could be gone next year, two bandaid LBs. In a scheme that needs two at each position to be pretty good.
On offense we still lack a wideout that anyone is going to feel great about going to consistently. Maybe Reagor steps up, hard to say coming off the entire mess the team was last year. Some of these are vital to their sides of the ball running well...and we just straight up don’t have anyone. 

I know you aren’t saying take Slater over them if they are there. But I’m speaking to like how bad the outlook...present and future looks if we don’t address those areas in a meaningful way soon.

Near the opposite side of the center spectrum you have corners, which take a deep nosedive in league starters after round one. Part of me thinks “oh it’s an easier scheme for corners, maybe they’d wait” but the Vikings have taken corners a ton under Zimmer. We’ve sucked at corner for like a decade. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we also haven’t drafted one in round 1 since Lito. Wanted to see our history of the last 4 DBs we’ve drafted in the top 40 were Lito (‘02), Ben Smith (‘90), Eric Allen (‘88) and Wes Hopkin [safety] (‘83). Maybe we could take one for once like the rest of the league and statistically have a real shot at fixing the issue for once instead of hoping a good one happens to be a FA that year. Cause we saw last year how that can go with Byron Jones not being interested in coming here. I dunno.

Like I said, no clue how they view Dillard and that dictates a lot. If he’s this head case who can’t function outside of Lt.. Slater makes more sense. I don’t think any of us really can know. He was slated to start last year with a different staff, same position coach. Could be a positive or negative. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I’m not gonna be pissed about it. I think you illustrated well just how sour it could go especially with Lane. I think at 37 or 70 I’d be totally cool with a flex OL player. Just at #12 if there are better options, including moving back, I can’t say I’m going to be thrilled. Would be nice to feel better about the OL, at some point we need to have some impact outside of the LOS. 

• Like 2