Post Draft Big Picture Bears Thoughts

dll2000

On 5/14/2020 at 2:05 PM, beardown3231 said:

Metrics say the Bears are due for another down year, even worse than last, but with this defense I cannot see them winning 3 games. At worst I can see them going 5-11

I didn't like the draft at all---but is there a reason the metrics say that? I find that odd. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I didn't like the draft at all---but is there a reason the metrics say that? I find that odd. 

Defense league wide is pretty up and down year to year so that side could worsen slightly again. Offense hasn't gotten better much. They once again had great injury luck, and they won 6 one score games with 2 against the Lions when they had their #2 and #3 QB's playing. They also lost two games against 2 of the 6 worst teams in football

They could be better obviously but there's a lot going against them. Obviously I hope I'm wrong

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Defense league wide is pretty up and down year to year so that side could worsen slightly again. Offense hasn't gotten better much. They once again had great injury luck, and they won 6 one score games with 2 against the Lions when they had their #2 and #3 QB's playing. They also lost two games against 2 of the 6 worst teams in football

They could be better obviously but there's a lot going against them. Obviously I hope I'm wrong

Gotcha. That all makes sense--in its own way--but it's not a very complete framing of the Bears' situation. Which doesn't surprise me a bit. Just more loose prognostication presented as a factual argument. 

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Gotcha. That all makes sense--in its own way--but it's not a very complete framing of the Bears' situation. Which doesn't surprise me a bit. Just more loose prognostication presented as a factual argument. 

Meant to say lost to one of the 6 worst teams in a 1 score game & also beat one of the 6 worst teams in a 1 score game (plus the 2 Lions wins).

Why is it not complete?

Lots of 1 score wins- check

A stagnant offense- check

A good D who got worse last year- check

Great injury luck- check

Bears fit into all of those. I hope I'm wrong, but if not, at least they can get another swing at a QB in the top 5. Just have to hope JAX and CAR aren't 1-2 or they'll be missing out on Lawrence and Fields.

Edited by beardown3231

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Why is it not complete?

Ehh, the football media types who make these predictions don't take a lot of stuff into account. For example, I'd imagine that Mack has a bounce-back season, especially since Quinn will be on the other side wreaking havoc of his own. Wouldn't you agree with that? And that's just a single point. Football writers can look at that situation differently than folks that follow a team more closely. 

27 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Ehh, the football media types who make these predictions don't take a lot of stuff into account. For example, I'd imagine that Mack has a bounce-back season, especially since Quinn will be on the other side wreaking havoc of his own. Wouldn't you agree with that? And that's just a single point. Football writers can look at that situation differently than folks that follow a team more closely. 

I can agree with the Mack/Quinn thing. Otherwise, the injury luck thing is scary as is the offense not looking any better. Winning a ton of close games doesn't usually transfer year to year either. 

But you're right. The people who predict records are talking out of their *****. I don't think 3 wins will happen but 5 or 6 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Big complaint with Quinn is he has been good in 4-3 and bad in 3-4.

I think reason is a big part of his game is his first step get off that he achieves out a sprinters stance.  If Bears are going to take that away and make him stand, ... well all critics on that point could turn out correct.

I hope they have a plan to let him play with hand in the dirt most of time.  

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Big complaint with Quinn is he has been good in 4-3 and bad in 3-4.

I think reason is a big part of his game is his first step get off that he achieves out a sprinters stance.  If Bears are going to take that away and make him stand, ... well all critics on that point could turn out correct.

He also was really good last year after somewhat underwhelming in prior years. Not ideal that he was excellent only in a contract year

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

He also was really good last year after somewhat underwhelming in prior years. Not ideal that he was excellent only in a contract year

At his worst he is upgrade over Floyd.  He was very, very good last year.  ... but it was a different system.  

Pace said they had a plan for him.  I hope he isn’t just whistling Dixie there.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He's too small. And that would minimize his pass rushing potential.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

At his worst he is upgrade over Floyd.  He was very, very good last year.  ... but it was a different system.   

Which is all I'm asking for. He's also most likely a substantial upgrade over Floyd. 

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

“Last year, I kept talking about 101. Now, without a doubt, I can say with pure conviction we’re in 202 right now.”

It was pure.  

This year we are a better zoom team than other teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

“Last year, I kept talking about 101. Now, without a doubt, I can say with pure conviction we’re in 202 right now.”

Except you know the NFL is supposed to be kind of a graduate level class.  But hey if we were playing high school defenses.  Dead.