2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't really think Holland fits the scheme though. He very rarely played single high and was mainly used as a slot player at Oregon. He's not a safety with tremendous range, he's more of a guy that will be moved around. 

Moehrig is probably a late first round type of player. I'd be totally happy with trading down into the 20's, picking up more draft capital, and then drafting him there. 

Agree on Holland. He's more of a slot/do it all player, who could be a fit depending if on we want to use dime/3 safety looks.

57 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agree on Holland. He's more of a slot/do it all player, who could be a fit depending if on we want to use dime/3 safety looks.

Almost all of his snaps in his final year in Oregon came as a slot CB. Would much rather land Moehrig or Grant. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Watched some more Jaelan Phillips, he's good. 

If he passes medical you take him and don't think twice. If he stays healthy he could easily be the Bosa of the draft. 

But could he drop in the draft. Teams won't get there own medicals and the will be a lot of unknown. Could be similar to Hurst. Especially with a deep edge class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnlyGlove said:

If he passes medical you take him and don't think twice. If he stays healthy he could easily be the Bosa of the draft. 

But could he drop in the draft. Teams won't get there own medicals and the will be a lot of unknown. Could be similar to Hurst. Especially with a deep edge class. 

Yeah, I'd say the only two concerns with him are that he only has 1 year of production (primarily because he was hurt) and the injury concerns. He actually medically retired at UCLA after suffering 3 concussions, two ankle injuries, and a wrist injury. 

The wrist and ankle injuries don't really concern me because the ankle injuries were just sprains and he suffered the wrist injury when he was hit by a car. He hasn't even torn anything or had any major surgeries. So I'm sure his medicals would check out fine as he two years removed from the minor injuries he had to his body. 

The thing does that concern me though is his concussion history. He had 3 at UCLA which is mainly what forced him to retire from football. And if he gets another bad one who knows how long he'll be in the league. 

If it weren't for the injury history and one year of production he'd likely be a top 10 pick. So I honestly wouldn't be mad if we took a chance on him at #17.  He honestly seems like a guy that will fall a little bit due to injury concerns and then ball out and everyone will look back and ask how we passed on this kid. 

16 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Teams won't get there own medicals and the will be a lot of unknown. Could be similar to Hurst.

I just read that the NFL actually set up a 3 day period between April 8-10 where the guys that were invited to the combine will go in for medical checkups. 

Using TDN's predictive tool. 

17. Jaelan Phillips | Edge | Miami (FL)

48. Richie Grant | FS | UCF

80. Spencer Brown | OT | Northern Iowa 

121. Tyler Shelvin | DT | LSU

162. Javian Hawkins | RB | Louisville

201. Sam Ehlinger | QB | Texas

246. Drew Himmelman | OT | Illinois State

14 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

One of the more popular picks I see mocked to us is DT Barmore from Alabama. Looks like a beast. What are everyone's thoughts about him?

I personally like Barmore but he definitely comes with some risks. He has all of the physical tools and will likely test great at their Pro Day. He was also dominant down the stretch for Alabama with 6 sacks and 8 TFL over their last 6 games which led to him being the defensive MVP in the national championship game. The concerns with him are that he didn't play a ton at Alabama (747 total snaps) and he wasn't consistent last season. When he was good he was very good but he also had games where he was a non-factor. He plays kind of high so he wasn't great against the run or taking on double teams but that's something that can be improved on with more coaching and playing time. 

He's the most physically talented DT in the class, imo. And I think with time he can become a really good player, I just don't know how big of an impact he'll have as a rookie because he has a lot of things to clean up. 

• Like 2

Realistically though any defensive lineman that we can take at #17 comes with risks. 

Kwity Paye: Missed time with injuries last season and only had 11.5 sacks during 4 seasons at Michigan. 

Jaelan Phillips: Only 1 year of production and has already medically retired because of concussions before coming back to play at Miami. 

Greg Rousseau: Super raw player that barely played in 2018 due to a broken ankle and sat out in 2020 due to covid. Almost all of his pass rush production came lined up inside against guards. 

Azeez Ojulari: Pretty small to be a full time edge and was kind of a one trick pony as a pass rusher at UGA. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I personally like Barmore but he definitely comes with some risks. He has all of the physical tools and will likely test great at their Pro Day. He was also dominant down the stretch for Alabama with 6 sacks and 8 TFL over their last 6 games which led to him being the defensive MVP in the national championship game. The concerns with him are that he didn't play a ton at Alabama (747 total snaps) and he wasn't consistent last season. When he was good he was very good but he also had games where he was a non-factor. He plays kind of high so he wasn't great against the run or taking on double teams but that's something that can be improved on with more coaching and playing time. 

He's the most physically talented DT in the class, imo. And I think with time he can become a really good player, I just don't know how big of an impact he'll have as a rookie because he has a lot of things to clean up. 

That’s how I felt about Josh Jacobs(he never carry the load in Alabama) when he was coming out but he proved me wrong

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I'd say the only two concerns with him are that he only has 1 year of production (primarily because he was hurt) and the injury concerns. He actually medically retired at UCLA after suffering 3 concussions, two ankle injuries, and a wrist injury. 

The wrist and ankle injuries don't really concern me because the ankle injuries were just sprains and he suffered the wrist injury when he was hit by a car. He hasn't even torn anything or had any major surgeries. So I'm sure his medicals would check out fine as he two years removed from the minor injuries he had to his body. 

The thing does that concern me though is his concussion history. He had 3 at UCLA which is mainly what forced him to retire from football. And if he gets another bad one who knows how long he'll be in the league. 

If it weren't for the injury history and one year of production he'd likely be a top 10 pick. So I honestly wouldn't be mad if we took a chance on him at #17.  He honestly seems like a guy that will fall a little bit due to injury concerns and then ball out and everyone will look back and ask how we passed on this kid. 

He's gonna get hit a lot harder in the NFL then he did in college and If he has a history of concussions that's a big question mark and could make him fall a round or two.

36 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He's gonna get hit a lot harder in the NFL then he did in college and If he has a history of concussions that's a big question mark and could make him fall a round or two.

He's also going to test out extremely well at his pro day and his tape was as good as any edge player in the draft last season. He's a prototypical pass rusher with the potential to be a 10+ sack guy and Pro Bowler. Unless his medicals are horrible I'd bet a significant amount of money that someone takes him in the 1st round, his upside is too high.