2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We didn't take Ferrell to find out if he could play inside. We took him to be an edge player but it's difficult to win consistently without great bend or explosiveness off the edge. Which is why I wouldn't touch Basham at #17.

"It's very important in the division we play in," Mike Mayock said following the first round, "and the offenses we play in some occasions. A guy like (Clelin) Ferrell can play either side of the line of scrimmage and can kick inside. That was important for Paul Guenther." 

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

JDR only has 1 fewer double digit win season than Gruden, who also has 2 more years of HC experience and got the bulk of his "prestige" with Dungy's team. 

JDR, imo, is a better HC than Chucky and the Alien Chucky who hired him made a mistake letting JDR go. 

The wheels eventually fell off for him in Jacksonville, but in Carr he had a QB Garrard and Leftwitch wish they could've been. 

2016 was a marvelous year and I fully believe we were in plenty position to continue building off of it despite 2017 being a downer. 

So if you're gonna talk about Kyle Shanahan being underwhelming, you leave Jack out of it. Dude turned 2 dumpster fires into respectable organizations and got shafted for a shiny new toy. Lol. (I will defend that guy until my last breath. I HATED Mark for firing him.)

(Also, I know your point wasn't defending Gruden. I just get triggered when del Rio gets brought up lol)

JDR got a raw deal but made the most of it, his biggest mistake was letting go of Bill Musgrave. 

But it just goes to show you the Raiders commitment to excellence, baby. JDR was 25-23 in 3 years here with a 12-4 season that could've been a special year if Carr didn't get hurt. And he was ran out of town. Shanahan is 29-35 in 4 years with one winning season and he's praised as though he is god himself. 

37 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

With all of the Cle Ferrell talk, I would like to point out that he was our highest graded defender last year.  And we beat the Chiefs last year because he was causing constant pressure.  I haven't gone back and watched any game film or anything but I do remember how frequently he bull rushed his lineman into Mahome's lap. Mahome's had maybe his second worst game of his career that day and I don't know if Cle got enough credit. If he can stay healthy for a full season I think he will prove to be a perfect "big end". He will continue to be an excellent run defender and probably underwhelm in sacks.  But if the pressures are there I won't complain.

Yep I remember that game. Thats usually when I point to when people say he can't rush the passer. Like I said injuries/Covid had a lot to do with His year 2 development. But again when it comes to him this year, there can't be any built-in excuses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

"It's very important in the division we play in," Mike Mayock said following the first round, "and the offenses we play in some occasions. A guy like (Clelin) Ferrell can play either side of the line of scrimmage and can kick inside. That was important for Paul Guenther." 

Ferrell coming out: 

Ferrell's size, hand usage and power combined with his modest burst and flexibility makes him and ideal fit as a 4-3 defensive end. He plays with an unrelenting motor that pairs well with his play strength to make him a dominant run defender and potent pass rusher. He is reliant on technique as a pass rusher and won't be able to win solely based on athletic ability. Given his experience and technical refinement, Ferrell should factor into the rotation early in his career with the upside to become a productive starter by Year 2/3.

Basham:

Three-year starter at defensive end with burly frame, heavy hands and an ability to take on physical rigors of the NFL. His rush attack is more technical and explosive, using active hands, spin counters and a thoughtful approach. His lack of suddenness and edge speed could get him pegged as an early-down end while moving inside to become an interior rusher on passing downs. He needs to become comfortable handling the heavy lifting as a run defender as he's much more likely to be a worker bee than playmaker in that regard. He's strong and plays heavy at the point of attack with leverage to sit down and battle for his space of turf. He's unlikely to produce headline-making production, but should be a good pro.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I just think that we need as many pass rushers as possible(That can rush the passer next year). I wanna make that clear. 

Yet you want Basham at #17 who projects as a pretty similar player to Ferrell who has struggled to consistently rush the passer?

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

7% of Basham's snaps the last two seasons came inside and you're confident he'll be able to do it better than Ferrell after a week at the Senior Bowl?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell coming out: 

Basham:

All do with respect, I feel like you just completely ignored the Mike Mayock quote I just posted He mentioned (That they drafted Ferrell fourth overall because he projects to be able to play inside even though he didn't do that in college.) 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yep I remember that game. Thats usually when I point to when people say he can't rush the passer. Like I said injuries/Covid had a lot to do with His year 2 development. But again when it comes to him this year, there can't be any built-in excuses. 

Ferrell has 6.5 sacks in like 28 games and 4.5 of those sacks came in 2 games. He has been very underwhelming. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

All do with respect, I feel like you just completely ignored the Mike Mayock quote I just posted He mentioned (That they drafted Ferrell fourth overall because he projects to be able to play inside even though he didn't do that in college.) 

They believed he projected as a guy that could play inside because of his lack of bend/burst. Just like they're saying about Basham. Paul Guenther and Mike Mayock also said Maliek Collins was the next Geno Atkins and the key to our defense. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell has 6.5 sacks in like 28 games and 4.5 of those sacks came in 2 games. He has been very underwhelming. 

100% agree. That's why I'm saying year three is no more Built in excuses. We've seen the flashes and potential in games but it's got to translate on a consistent basis.

Abrams is in the same boat. 

Edited by Jeremy408

Just now, NYRaider said:

They believed he projected as a guy that could play inside because of his lack of bend/burst. Just like they're saying about Basham. Paul Guenther and Mike Mayock also said Maliek Collins was the next Geno Atkins and the key to our defense. 

Whos they?

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yes. 

Well good for you. I'd personally just not be thrilled to reach again on an edge rusher who lacks the explosiveness and bend to consistently win off the edge. Ferrell is only going into year 3 and will have more time to be coached up by Rod M who's supposed to be an elite DL guru. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Well good for you. I'd personally just not be thrilled to reach again on an edge rusher who lacks the explosiveness and bend to consistently win off the edge. Ferrell is only going into year 3 and will have more time to be coached up by Rod M who's supposed to be an elite DL guru. 

I think the more pass rushers the better. Can't have too many pass rushers in the Gus Bradley defense It's that simple lol.