2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Dane Brugler from the Athletic 

17. Las Vegas Raiders – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

A playmaking linebacker (Micah Parsons or Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah) or defensive lineman (Christian Barmore) would make sense, but Darrisaw would help fill the sizeable void left by the departure of right tackle Trent Brown.

Passed on Parson lol

48. Las Vegas Raiders – Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington

79. Las Vegas Raiders – Andre Cisco, DS, Syracuse
80. Las Vegas Raiders – Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State

121. Las Vegas Raiders – Keith Taylor, CB, Washington

167. Las Vegas Raiders – Shaka Toney, edge, Penn State

200. Las Vegas Raiders – Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida

Edited by agarcia34

5 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Dane Brugler from the Athletic 

17. Las Vegas Raiders – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

A playmaking linebacker (Micah Parsons or Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah) or defensive lineman (Christian Barmore) would make sense, but Darrisaw would help fill the sizeable void left by the departure of right tackle Trent Brown.

Passed on Parson lol

48. Las Vegas Raiders – Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington

79. Las Vegas Raiders – Andre Cisco, DS, Syracuse
80. Las Vegas Raiders – Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State

121. Las Vegas Raiders – Keith Taylor, CB, Washington

167. Las Vegas Raiders – Shaka Toney, edge, Penn State

200. Las Vegas Raiders – Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida

He had Parsons goin 18 which I would rather have and Spencer Brown going at the end of the 3rd round who I rather have then Browning 

Some  random draft thoughts and conclusions I've compiled over the last week defense edition:

Edge, Charles Snowden, Virginia is a nice developmental prospect. Long and athletic, but needs to put some weight on.

The only iDL prospect I would draft is Levi Onwuzurike

Jevon Holland is the best S in this class and will be a steal in round 2

Safety Christain Uphoff is an under the radar player who can become a starter by year 2 or 3.

Greg Newsome II might be the best 2nd best CB in the class. But I'd rather draft Tyson Campbell in round 2 who might be just as good but nobody knows it yet

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah If you have a role for him, he's going to be a star. He could be a Derwin James type in Bradley's defens

A smart coordinator would draft Micah Parsons and let him get after the QB on third downs. He can cover to. No player would provide more day 1 impact for the Raiders

LB Buddy Johnson is a guy I want on my team

For me the best day 1-2 combinations are..

1 parsons 2. grant 3a leatherwood 3 carman

1. Jenkins 2. onwuzurike 3a. Cisco 3b. Adebo

1. Tucker 2. Oweh 3a. Shelvin 3b.Gillispe 

1. Phillips 2.  Dickerson 3a. Cisco 3b.Nixon  

Edited by Jeremy408

With all of the Cle Ferrell talk, I would like to point out that he was our highest graded defender last year.  And we beat the Chiefs last year because he was causing constant pressure.  I haven't gone back and watched any game film or anything but I do remember how frequently he bull rushed his lineman into Mahome's lap. Mahome's had maybe his second worst game of his career that day and I don't know if Cle got enough credit. If he can stay healthy for a full season I think he will prove to be a perfect "big end". He will continue to be an excellent run defender and probably underwhelm in sacks.  But if the pressures are there I won't complain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You'd be stoked with Phillips at 17 who is a hit to the head away from early retirement.  But you have a problem with Farley at 17 because of an injured back? Make sense. 

Phillips injuries occurred years ago and he was completely healthy last season. Farley had back surgery last summer, didn't even play football last season, and just had another back surgery. So yes, it does make sense. I'd rather gamble on a player who had injury issues years ago and played last season over a guy who hasn't played in over a year and has had two back surgeries. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This might come as a shock to you..... but some college players project as better professional players.

Comparing a player from a powerhouse program like Clemson, to a a school like Wake Forest is just dumb. 

College stats and accolades are meaningless to a player NFL projections.

I wasn't comparing them based on stats. Basham looks like Ferrell did on tape, he won with power and technique, he doesn't have great bend or explosiveness off the edge. He played 7% of his snaps inside the last two seasons and he said he had shown he could be really effective there, lol. 

He also said that Basham was more "pro ready" than Ferrell coming into the draft. When Ferrell was one of the best defensive linemen in college football and had a 1st round grade from everyone. One thing that was often mentioned was that he was "pro ready" but didn't have a huge upside, the same things that are said about Basham but he has a 2nd/3rd round grade and he was mentioning him at #17.

You still working on your thesis as to why Shanhan gets the benefit of the doubt when picking a QB? After not having developed any into good players?

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Clelin Ferrell did it 0 times in college. And we drafted him fourth overall to find out if he could. 

We didn't take Ferrell to find out if he could play inside. We took him to be an edge player but it's difficult to win consistently without great bend or explosiveness off the edge. Which is why I wouldn't touch Basham at #17.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

With all of the Cle Ferrell talk, I would like to point out that he was our highest graded defender last year.  And we beat the Chiefs last year because he was causing constant pressure.  I haven't gone back and watched any game film or anything but I do remember how frequently he bull rushed his lineman into Mahome's lap. Mahome's had maybe his second worst game of his career that day and I don't know if Cle got enough credit. If he can stay healthy for a full season I think he will prove to be a perfect "big end". He will continue to be an excellent run defender and probably underwhelm in sacks.  But if the pressures are there I won't complain.

Which is why it'd be redundant to reach on someone like Basham #17. But our fanbase is quick to give up on players and think if you're not a superstar in year one then we should draft over you the next year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Phillips injuries occurred years ago and he was completely healthy last season. Farley had back surgery last summer, didn't even play football last season, and just had another back surgery. So yes, it does make sense. I'd rather gamble on a player who had injury issues years ago and played last season over a guy who hasn't played in over a year and has had two back surgeries. 

I'd rather not gamble on any of that. Imo, if the EDGE class wasn't so bad at the top, Phillips wouldn't be talked about in the 1st. Concussions are a major red flag.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

I'd rather not gamble on any of that. Imo, if the EDGE class wasn't so bad at the top, Phillips wouldn't be talked about in the 1st. Concussions are a major red flag.

Phillips is a top edge because he has special physical tools and was great at Miami last season. He had 3 concussions in his college career, Arnette had 2 concussions last season.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Phillips is a top edge because he has special physical tools and was great at Miami last season. He had 3 concussions in his college career, Arnette had 2 concussions last season.

If Arnette keeps having concussions, his career won't last. Same thing with Phillips. The history can't and shouldn't be ignored.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is why it'd be redundant to reach on someone like Basham #17. But our fanbase is quick to give up on players and think if you're not a superstar in year one then we should draft over you the next year. 

I personally loved Ferrell when he was coming out And mentioned on here last night that He has a chance to bounce back this year.  I think with some of the things I've said on this forum I've made it pretty clear that I'm not really big on giving up on young players too early. With that being said it's also your three and we have to be honest with ourselves in saying that we need to see a pretty substantial leap.

I just think that we need as many pass rushers as possible(That can rush the passer next year). I wanna make that clear. 

• Like 1