2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

12 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

What I said in the very beginning of the off-season is the thing with Abrams is that everything that he does bad he also does really well.  

The kid just needs consistency IMO.  That should improve from a variety of areas.

1st being in an actual credible system under GB Instead of PG’s mess of a defense.  Abrams is a reactionary type of guy and I think he got caught up thinking too much.  I think he’s smart enough to understand complex systems but when the scheme is basically a complex computer formula of “ if ‘x’ do ‘a’, then if ‘z’ do ‘b’ but if ‘y’ do ‘z’ do ‘c’ “ it’s slows players down.  But Abrams doesn’t slow down... he just makes poor choices at 100 mph.  He needs to have 1 maybe 2 possible responsibilities per play and “play fast”.

2nd being in a defensive scheme under GB that will use him close to the LOS will held him a lot.  

3rd he’s got better players around him now and won’t need step outside his responsibilities to try and make “hero plays”

I think Abrams will rekindle most fan’s optimism for him this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Abrams will rekindle most fan’s optimism for him this year.

It's Abram. And every apologist in here makes the same excuses. Scheme, it's PG's fault, he was basically a rookie, etc. Nobody touches on the main problems that have nothing to do with scheme. His instincts and anticipation for which he has none. He's slow to find the football and will take poor angles to the ball and bites easily on play fakes. You can't really coach anticipation and awareness. It's instinctual.

He also plays completely out of control, overruns plays, whiffs tackles and worse injures himself and teammates. This aspect of his game is more coachable hopefully.

Playing downhill should help limit his exposure. But he's not particularly good at shedding blocks. And again, it comes back to instincts and ability to process which he can't do.

He's an average athlete, with poor instincts. Fans will want him benched and replaced this season.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not agreeing with the hyperbole, but i'm telling you off the ball LB is deep.

I agree. It's a good class and I really hope the address it. I'm truly tired of this team being decidedly average at LB. There are several prospects I like in this class. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's Abram. And every apologist in here makes the same excuses. Scheme, it's PG's fault, he was basically a rookie, etc. Nobody touches on the main problems that have nothing to do with scheme. His instincts and anticipation for which he has none. He's slow to find the football and will take poor angles to the ball and bites easily on play fakes. You can't really coach anticipation and awareness. It's instinctual.

Yep. It's year 3. Dude was a 1st round pick. And by that logic, he's still a rookie (14 games in). 

Dude has injured himself and/or a teammate more often than he's had an INT, FF, or TFL. 

His coverage skill isn't just bad, it's REALLY bad. A tick under 82% completion percentage and a 111.4 QB rating against him. 

Oh, but he's going to play in the box now! Cool. So...about them 47 credited blitz plays and....0 sacks, 3 tfls, and a 13% missed tackle rate. 

He's so laughably bad in coverage that we're hoping to essentially use him as a LB instead and hope that, despite him not even being particularly good at that aspect of the game either, that he becomes something worth even keeping around much longer. He's just not very good and it's far from just Guenther's scheme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

Didn’t want abram, I wanted adddrly. He hasn’t lit it up but adderly+ joseph > abram+Harris. Hope he gets better, but the sad fact is even better might not EVER be worth where he was drafted.

I'm not gonna lie, I wanted Adderly too.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Took me some Trey Lance to be the pick at 3 at +500 

Love it. I still think he’s the pick. Although I am growing more concerned it actually might be Mac Jones, which would make the Niners the laughing stock of the NFL. At least when the Giants picked Daniel Jones at 6, there was no other good QBs on the board. Niners would have left two studs in Fields and Lance on the board. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Love it. I still think he’s the pick. Although I am growing more concerned it actually might be Mac Jones, which would make the Niners the laughing stock of the NFL. At least when the Giants picked Daniel Jones at 6, there was no other good QBs on the board. Niners would have left two studs in Fields and Lance on the board. 

While I think Lance is the pick too, I don't know how they'd be laughing stocks choosing Mac Jones. Kyle has earned the benefit of the doubt as a coach that he knows what QB fits him.

Shanahan's offense fits what he does well. He's accurate and smart in running an offense. Great in the short and intermediate game.

I think people laugh off Mac jones because he's not a flashy dual threat QB that are all the rage. I think he's surprise people if he goes to the 49ers in that offense.