2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I don’t think the Raiders are going OT at 17 or with a trade down. Think second round or later. I was on the OT at 17 train but stepping back just can’t see it. Feel like the Raiders will wait and go with a guy who they can build up. While Parker or Good starts at RT in the meantime. Don’t think they view it as an obvious need like the beat writers do where it’s a slam dunk it’s an OT at 17. 

I think our approach to free agency points heavily towards us going OT early in the draft. Just like with CB last off-season, once we missed on Jones everyone and their mother knew we were going CB in round 1. 

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What about the Gruden/Mayock era has suggested that we'd take a BPA approach? We've literally reached for need every single year they've been here. 

I'm talking specifically about this off-season. It seems like they either have an idea about who they want to get at every position of need and or Addressed that need in some sort of way. I couple that with the reports that they "really like" Micah Parsons, so the first round appears to be one of those things where they're going to get Who they think would be an impact player on defense. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

And Nick Bosa was light years better in every way than Basham. They don't even belong in the same conversation. Ferrell was also a technician that was supposedly "pro ready" and how well has that worked out for us so far? 

Again I would like to see some of those other guys that we've both mentioned play next to some of the defensive lineman that we had the last 2 years and see how different the narrative would be. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I'm talking specifically about this off-season. It seems like they either have an idea about who they want to get at every position of need and or Addressed that need in some sort of way. I couple that with the reports that they "really like" Micah Parsons, so the first round appears to be one of those things where they're going to get Who they think would be an impact player on defense. 

We have a massive hole at RT and haven't addressed it this off-season. We could've signed a veteran stop gap for the low and didn't. Although I could see us going after a defensive player in round 1 and an OT in round 2/3. But it's risky to trust a rookie to step in and be an effective starter from day one.

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Again I would like to see some of those other guys that we've both mentioned play next to some of the defensive lineman that we had the last 2 years and see how different the narrative would be. 

So why would Basham be able to do it?

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We have a massive hole at RT and haven't addressed it this off-season. We could've signed a veteran stop gap for the low and didn't. Although I could see us going after a defensive player in round 1 and an OT in round 2/3. But it's risky to trust a rookie to step in and be an effective starter from day one.

Remember though Denzel good is still on the team. At the very least he is serviceable at RT. We got by last year on less than serviceable RT play in sam young And still somehow managed to be a top 10 offense. I think that's a key component to all of this. If they were to go best player available on defense in the first round and went offensive lineman in the second round it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. Whoever we draft could also play the guard intially as guard is an easier position to start at. 

Edited by Jeremy408

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You're saying the narrative would be different if Bosa had to play on our DL. So why would Basham, who's not even in the same world as Bosa as a player/prospect, be effective on our mediocre DL?

Oh. Well for one i think our defensive line is much both inside and outside improved (contrary to popular belief). And yes I do think the narrative on both would be different if 1. Last name wasn't Bosa 2. Didn't end up going to a team that didn't necessarily even need him. 

Edited by Jeremy408

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Remember though Denzel good is still on the team. At the very least he is serviceable at RT. We got by last year on less than serviceable RT play in sam young And still somehow managed to be a top 10 offense. I think that's a key component to all of this. If they were to go best player available on defense in the first round and went offensive lineman in the second round it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. Whoever we draft could also play the guard intially as guard is an easier position to start at. 

Based on Cable's recent comments it seems like the plan is to start Good at OG. Playing RT in a pinch in emergency situations is completely different then being counted on as a full time starter there. One of the main reasons Jacobs took a step back and our red zone offense was terrible was because our run blocking wasn't very good. 

In a perfect world Richie stays healthy but that's not something I'd bank on. So even if we were to draft an OG to start in the case that he gets hurt, you're potentially looking at a starting OL of: Miller - Simpson - James - Rookie - Good. It also didn't hurt that Good had Jackson next to him at RG. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Oh. Well for one i think our defensive line is much both inside and outside improved (contrary to popular belief). And yes I do think the narrative on both would be different if 1. Last name wasn't Bosa 2. Didn't end up going to a team that didn't necessarily even need him. 

If you take Basham what's the plan then? Start him and Ferrell as base ends and move them both inside on passing downs, while keeping our two best pass rushers in Crosby/Yannick off the field?

Just now, NYRaider said:

Based on Cable's recent comments it seems like the plan is to start Good at OG. Playing RT in a pinch in emergency situations is completely different then being counted on as a full time starter there. One of the main reasons Jacobs took a step back and our red zone offense was terrible was because our run blocking wasn't very good. 

In a perfect world Richie stays healthy but that's not something I'd bank on. So even if we were to draft an OG to start in the case that he gets hurt, you're potentially looking at a starting OL of: Miller - Simpson - James - Rookie - Good. It also didn't hurt that Good had Jackson next to him at RG. 

Actually cable did also mention that he may be playing right tackle for us this year. Also as far as playing right tackle in a pinch we can't forget that Good was drafted to play offense of tackle we made him a guard because we didn't necessarily need a tackle at the time. Now we do. Our run blocking was worse for a lot of reasons to be fair. 

I agree about the Richie incognito thing so I'm not even gonna argue with that. What I do think we can both agree on is that Jackson clearly regressed last year so that also had something to do with it as well. Also I thought two years ago when Good replace to Jackson that he actually looked better than him. And I don't know maybe this is just me holding out hope but there's also always The possibility that what Tom cable Set about Parker improving is actually true and that he actually somehow wins the right tackle job But I'll admit that's more personal desire than probability. For what it's worth I'm not as down on James is everybody else might be as well (especially after looking at his film).