2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yes, actually, I do. As an attorney, I see that type of thing all the time. 

If everyone knew about it, Houston wouldn't have given him that massive extension. 

I won't opine about what potential motivations there may or may not be- I'm not working that case, nor would I be in a position to do so if I were. 

The NFL undoubtedly knows a lot about its players, but not all. Mike Vick wasn't operating dog fighting rings with impunity. Aaron Hernandez wasn't doing the things he did while the league just sat back. So on, so forth. 

You're talking guys with millions of dollars laying around. You'd be surprised what can be kept quiet. In Watson's case, he has more than enough money to have kept things under wraps. The NFL may have billions backing it, but Watson has the type of money that makes it just an arbitrary number. 

No single individual has more money to perform investigations into people than the US government, and I can 100% attest to the fact they can't uncover everything even the sort of wealthy do, much less the obnoxiously wealthy. If simply having more money and resources than the person you're investigating was the end all-be all, nobody would ever mount a successful defense in court. 

The likelihood that the league had any knowledge beforehand that was worth jack squat is next to nothing, much less individual teams- of which there were plenty attempting to secure Watson's services. The allegations were going to come out whether he remained in Houston or had already been traded, and they would've come seemingly out of nowhere regardless.

maybe not or maybe they knew

Buzbee surely knew that there was rancor between Watson and the Texans. Buzbee would have nothing to lose by calling someone from the Texans as part of his broader due-diligence effort. The Texans, if someone from the team said anything to Buzbee, possibly didn’t know the depth of the problem

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/potential-coordination-between-texans-tony-buzbee-doesnt-mean-there-was-a-conspiracy/

I don’t think the Raiders are going OT at 17 or with a trade down. Think second round or later. I was on the OT at 17 train but stepping back just can’t see it. Feel like the Raiders will wait and go with a guy who they can build up. While Parker or Good starts at RT in the meantime. Don’t think they view it as an obvious need like the beat writers do where it’s a slam dunk it’s an OT at 17. 

4 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I don’t think the Raiders are going OT at 17 or with a trade down. Think second round or later. I was on the OT at 17 train but stepping back just can’t see it. Feel like the Raiders will wait and go with a guy who they can build up. While Parker or Good starts at RT in the meantime. Don’t think they view it as an obvious need like the beat writers do where it’s a slam dunk it’s an OT at 17. 

I definitely can see that. Everything they’ve done this far has the makings of a draft the best player available on defense move

4 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

More thoughts 

Feel like CB is higher then most think. 

What we know is the Raiders wanted Mike Davis. What does that tell you? Is that they were looking for someone to start along Mullen. Greg Newsome would be an ideal fit. Really couldn’t ask for a better fit. Has the size and the length and the smarts and he can tackle. Has the school pedigree that Mayock would love. Newsome is football crazy and Gruden would love that and Bradley would love Newsome ability to play in the cover 3 from the get go. It’s what he did at NW. plug and play from day 1. Also Horn as well wouldn’t surprise me but I would expect that they would have Newsome rated higher then Horn and Fairely from VT.

13 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I definitely can see that. Everything they’ve done this far has the makings of a draft the best player available on defense move

Also everything they done with the offensive line this offseason has been about reducing cost but now they’re gonna invest a mid first round pick on one? Seems to go away from everything they done. Just don’t see it.

50 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I’m not saying that Nick Bosa wasn’t the consensus I’m saying that they are similar type Player. The idea is their technicians that can play tomorrow. I’m glad that you acknowledge the Nick Bosa played on a One of the better lines in the NFL. Another thing that a lot of people don’t realize in hindsight is that he played with Chase Young in college as well. I wonder how he would’ve done on his rookie year on the Raiders.

And Nick Bosa was light years better in every way than Basham. They don't even belong in the same conversation. Ferrell was also a technician that was supposedly "pro ready" and how well has that worked out for us so far? 

27 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Also everything they done with the offensive line this offseason has been about reducing cost but now they’re gonna invest a mid first round pick on one? Seems to go away from everything they done. Just don’t see it.

The $ cost of a mid 1st is low.

36 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

We just paid Kolton Miller and Andre James. I think the OL thing has been a little blown out of proportion, Trent and Rodney didn't want to be here so we traded them. Gabe hadn't lived up to his contract and we had a better, cheaper replacement already in place. 

54 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

What about the Gruden/Mayock era has suggested that we'd take a BPA approach? We've literally reached for need every single year they've been here. 

The closer we get to the draft the more I believe a defensive player is likely to be the pick. Namely, JOK. Even though I thought he would be redundant with Abram, I think he fits pretty well alongside Abram after looking at the Chargers in 2019. Gus Bradley really took a liking at using as many safety bodies as practicable. I could see JOK starting as the SLB in base and replacing Kwiatkowski or Littleton on obvious passing downs. I could see it something like this:

Base defense: SLB: JOK; MLB: Kwiatkowski; WLB: Littleton.

Base nickel: MLB: Kwiatkowski; WLB Littleton.

Rush nickel: LB: JOK/Morrow.

Edited by Rich7sena

51 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

More thoughts 

Feel like CB is higher then most think. 

What we know is the Raiders wanted Mike Davis. What does that tell you? Is that they were looking for someone to start along Mullen. Greg Newsome would be an ideal fit. Really couldn’t ask for a better fit. Has the size and the length and the smarts and he can tackle. Has the school pedigree that Mayock would love. Newsome is football crazy and Gruden would love that and Bradley would love Newsome ability to play in the cover 3 from the get go. It’s what he did at NW. plug and play from day 1. Also Horn as well wouldn’t surprise me but I would expect that they would have Newsome rated higher then Horn and Fairely from VT.

The Raiders also wanted Rayshawn Jenkins but didn't want to pay him. Does that tell you that they're going to reach on a safety in the 1st round?

Rookie CB's almost always struggle early on in their careers, it's probably the second hardest position to adjust too behind QB. Jeff Okudah was viewed as a can't miss, generational type of talent, and he played very poorly last season. So to expect another rookie CB to come in and be a significant upgrade over our current CB's especially without OTA's again isn't realistic.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The closer we get to the draft the more I believe a defensive player is likely to be the pick. Namely, JOK. Even though I thought he would be redundant with Abram, I think he fits pretty well alongside Abram after looking at the Chargers in 2019. Gus Bradley really took a liking at using as many safety bodies as practicable. I could see JOK starting as the SLB in base and replacing Kwiatkowski or Littleton on obvious passing downs. I could see it something like this:

Base defense: SLB: JOK; MLB: Kwiatkowski; WLB: Littleton.

Base nickel: MLB: Kwiatkowski; WLB Littleton.

Rush nickel: MLB: JOK/Morrow; WLB: JOK Morrow.

Have you ever seen this kind of rotation at LB? I'd think DCs would want at least 1 LB playing all the snaps to handle the playcalls and the pre snap adjustments.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Parker and Good were forced into action because Trent didn't play. IIRC we had the highest paid offensive line in the league last season and if there's one thing that Gruden has shown it's that he loves OL. Which is why we took Miller in the 1st and gave Trent Brown a mega deal to play RT.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Have you ever seen this kind of rotation at LB? I'd think DCs would want at least 1 LB playing all the snaps to handle the playcalls and the pre snap adjustments.

I would imagine more than one linebacker could handle these duties. Plus, that final group would have far less pre snap adjustments to conduct since it's situational (think 3rd and 8+). And Kwiatkowski would still be on the field on no less than 80% of snaps.

I couldn't give you examples of a rotation like this but I'm sure it exists.