2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's why I don't understand why Saleh is viewed as some amazing coach either. He had one year with an elite defense that was absolutely loaded with talent. And in his other 3 years as the 49ers DC they allowed 25.1 ppg (more than we allowed with KNJ) and had a losing record all 3 years. 

Jack Del Rio, Bill Musgrave, KNJ, and Reggie McKenzie's 3 years together were as successful as John Lynch, Kyle Shanahan, and Robert Saleh's 4 years together, sans the Super Bowl appearance but Carr got hurt late in the year the one season we had a chance to make a run. 

I mean that's another thing I've been saying on here a bunch of times: The Seattle cover three when there's pass rushers is deadly. And essentially with the Niners day it is I just drafted a D-lineman in the first round every year for 4 years straight and traded for Dee ford. That matters

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I mean that's another thing I've been saying on here a bunch of times: The Seattle cover three when there's pass rushers is deadly. And essentially with the Niners day it is I just drafted a D-lineman in the first round every year for 4 years straight and traded for Dee ford. That matters

Of course. It doesn't matter who your coach is or what scheme they use, you need elite talent to have a good offense or defense. Which is why teams like the Rams and Seahawks were able to sustain top defensive units despite changing coordinators. 

When you look at any of the teams that have won or sustained success recently pretty much all of them had very good, deep defensive lines. Because when you have a good defensive line and can consistently generate pressure it keeps LB's clean so they can run around and make plays and also helps the secondary as they don't have to hold up in coverage for as long. 

Last years Super Bowl is a perfect example of this. Even Patrick Mahomes, one of the greatest QB's in the history of the sport, couldn't score a TD because Tampa's DL was getting after him the entire game. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Well.... if we take Jenkins, and he does well, you can definitely be the guy who called it lol. I admire the dedication at least. 

Yeah this is my second Chase Winovich moment.  I typically never beat the table this violently for anyone.  But sometimes when you know, you know.

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Of course. It doesn't matter who your coach is or what scheme they use, you need elite talent to have a good offense or defense. Which is why teams like the Rams and Seahawks were able to sustain top defensive units despite changing coordinators. 

When you look at any of the teams that have won or sustained success recently pretty much all of them had very good, deep defensive lines. Because when you have a good defensive line and can consistently generate pressure it keeps LB's clean so they can run around and make plays and also helps the secondary as they don't have to hold up in coverage for as long. 

Last years Super Bowl is a perfect example of this. Even Patrick Mahomes, one of the greatest QB's in the history of the sport, couldn't score a TD because Tampa's DL was getting after him the entire game. 

I mean look at Washington they started four different quarterbacks last year but the dline we’re all first rounders. Having a pass rush at least gives you a chance

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

And when you look at the Raiders lack of success over the past two decades you also see that we've only drafted a DL in the 1st round like 3 times over that span.

This is what I was saying wall a lot of raider fans were bickering about Carr not being a franchise QB. You have to get to the quarterback in this league. We’re going to be soon enough how quickly the narrative changes Matt Stafford now that he’s on a team with the defense. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is what I was saying wall a lot of raider fans were bickering about Carr not being a franchise QB. You have to get to the quarterback in this league. We’re going to be soon enough how quickly the narrative changes Matt Stafford now that he’s on a team with the defense. 

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if we take another DL at 17. I am not opposed to it at all. Or taking an Oweh or Perkins at 48.

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is why I wouldn't be surprised if we take another DL at 17. I am not opposed to it at all. Or taking an Oweh or Perkins at 48.

Yeah I'm all for Jalen Phillips in the first round. I also like Carlos Basham if we trade down or in the 2nd round if he fall that far. I'm also still not opposed to drafting barmore even though we have a handful of high upside DTs now.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah I'm all for Jalen Phillips in the first round. I also like Carlos Basham if we trade down or in the 2nd round if he fall that far. I'm also still not opposed to drafting barmore even though we have a handful of high upside DTs now.

I think the FO is thinking small trade up for Parsons, Vera-Tucker, or Darrisaw. None of which are bad moves. If we do none of those, we can still stand pat or move back for an OT/S.

I still don’t know what I want. A good free safety will transform the defense. I like Moehrig and Grant, but ideally I’d take them in the 20s. 

For the first time in a while, I don’t know what’s gonna happen.

22 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

We need a difference maker at 3tec.  I don't see one in this draft.  Think the is a lot of guys that will have steady careers. 

I think Christian Barmore could be a difference maker at 3T but he's pretty raw and will need some time to develop. I'd be happy with him at #48 but I'm not sure he makes it that far down the board.

32 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I'd be stoked with Phillips at #17 even with the injury concerns. Basham would just be another Ferrell. 

42 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Basham is what Ferrell is supposed to be. 

Ferrell was way better in college and ranked higher by everyone coming into the draft. Everyone had a 1st round grade on Ferrell while everyone has a 2nd round grade on Basham.