Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

On 8/29/2020 at 11:09 AM, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I’m with you 1000% no way we put Ruggs at KR.... we don’t need a Tim Brown 2.0 injury.  It’s so amazing to think what Brown did after that injury given back then it was a career killer or at best same the player lost all athleticism.  People often forget that injury cost him his 23, 24, 25 year old seasons... yeah he played at 24/25 but was still not back to what he was and thus couldn’t even start...often the peak years for WRs.... yet he was still able to have such a long career.

I want Bowden returning kicks this year. Lets him get experience on an NFL field before he sees time on offense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

you have to blend Joyner experience in there. 

9 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

We do have Joyner aswell so 2 of the 3 projected starters have at least a season experience but it is very high risk to roll into the season with such inexperience and of course Arnette, Johnson, Robinson and Nixon haven't even had the chance to show what they've been doing in camp translates to the field in a pre season game. I like the young guys but would keep Lawson around if possible with the numbers game.

Joyner is purely a nickel CB though. Our outside CB's taking the opposing teams #1/#2 WR's will be our young guys. Interested to see how they look against DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel week 1. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Joyner is purely a nickel CB though. Our outside CB's taking the opposing teams #1/#2 WR's will be our young guys. Interested to see how they look against DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel week 1. 

hopefully Ferell, and Max progress and are forces to make life easier for our young corners. Hopefully the Collins and Key hype is real.

55 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

hopefully Ferell, and Max progress and are forces to make life easier for our young corners. Hopefully the Collins and Key hype is real.

Our defense really is going to be sink or swim this season.

Our projected starting base defense:

3 second year players: Crosby, Ferrell, Mullen

2 rookies: Arnette, Abram

4 free agent additions: Collins, Littleton, Kwit, Randall 

The only two projected starters that are veterans and have played in Gunther's system are Morrow and Hankins. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The only two projected starters that are veterans and have played in Gunther's system are Morrow and Hankins. 

The good thing is we’re probably done with the revolving door on defense and won’t see as much turnover every offseason. There are about 6-7 core pieces in their, with guys like Robertson and maybe even Randall who can stick around as well.

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

The good thing is we’re probably done with the revolving door on defense and won’t see as much turnover every offseason. There are about 6-7 core pieces in their, with guys like Robertson and maybe even Randall who can stick around as well.

Ideally Crosby, Ferrell, Mullen, Arnette, Abram, Collins, Littleton, and Kwit are all long term starters here. Then you see what you have in Joyner (who's likely gone and replaced by Robertson), Randall (who is likely gone unless he balls out), and Hankins who is easily replaceable. 

54 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Pretty spot on... although I think early in the season Morrow could see his snaps decrease in lieu of McMillian.

i don’t know if it’s THAT sink or swim.... I feel like their will be growing pains given how young the guys.  They’ll all have to prove their solid starters But the coaching staff will expect some lows to go with the highs.

overall, I’m confident we have a good core moving into the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Pretty spot on... although I think early in the season Morrow could see his snaps decrease in lieu of McMillian.

i don’t know if it’s THAT sink or swim.... I feel like their will be growing pains given how young the guys.  They’ll all have to prove their solid starters But the coaching staff will expect some lows to go with the highs.

overall, I’m confident we have a good core moving into the future.

I think McMillen starts by midseason. Who knows, maybe Morrow surprises with better players around him. I don't think he is trash, and actually plays really fast. He just got burned a few times last year, but who didn't. The key would be how our defense performs, remember the Bengal and Charger game. The back 7 game is dependent if we can control the LOS. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I think McMillan is starting week 1. And I wouldn't be surprised if Morrow is cut or traded in the next 2 weeks.

Did wonder if we might look to cut/trade Morrow. Would have to be that White is looking good as it leaves us a bit short depth wise. 

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I think McMillan is starting week 1. And I wouldn't be surprised if Morrow is cut or traded in the next 2 weeks.

I can't see it. Cory Littleton has already said that the plan is for him to play SLB in our base defense. Morrow has experience in the system, is decent in coverage, and also plays special teams. Ideally you carry 5 LB's on the final 53 man roster, Littleton, Kwit, McMillian, Morrow, and Muse. You have Littleton and Kwit who will both 3 down LB's that always stay on the field. And by keeping Morrow you have flexibility with the our LB looks in our base defense, in more obvious passing situations you play Littleton at SLB with Morrow at WLB, while in more obvious running situations you play Littleton at WLB and McMillian at SLB. 

Having Morrow is also an excellent insurance policy in case one of Littleton/Kwit has to miss any time. He's obviously not as good as those two but he can fill in if needed because he is actually decent in coverage. I'm assuming those that want to cut/trade Morrow are suggesting it with the thought he would be replaced by Javin White. 

But lets just say that is the case and you roll into the season with White in Morrow's place. If either of our top 2 LB's go down you're going to have to ask one of McMillian, White, or Muse to play a ton in coverage. McMillian has graded out as one of the worst LB's in the league in coverage over the past two seasons, White is an UDFA that's transitioning from safety to LB, and Muse is another rookie that is transitioning from safety to LB and has reportedly looked lost during practices. 

We've had one of the worst LB units in the league for like a decade, especially in coverage. Moving on from Morrow saves us $3M in cap space for this season, which we are unlikely to use to add any other significant piece to the roster. Why give up a decent veteran LB that can provides solid depth and ST play in favor of an UDFA who has never even played the position in his life? White has reportedly looked good in practice but every year we have UDFA that light it up in training camp only to never be heard from again once the season starts. 

Not to mention I think we can pretty easily stash White on the practice squad this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Did wonder if we might look to cut/trade Morrow. Would have to be that White is looking good as it leaves us a bit short depth wise. 

You keep White over Morrow and we're an injury away from having a respectable LB core to likely one of the worst in the league again. Because if Littleton or Kwit go down we'll have to use either McMillian (43.3 coverage grade the last two seasons), Muse who has never even played LB in his career (and has reportedly looked lost in camp), or White who is an UDFA that is also transitioning from S to LB, as a 3 down LB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You keep White over Morrow and we're an injury away from having a respectable LB core to likely one of the worst in the league again. Because if Littleton or Kwit go down we'll have to use either McMillian (43.3 coverage grade the last two seasons), Muse who has never even played LB in his career (and has reportedly looked lost in camp), or White who is an UDFA that is also transitioning from S to LB, as a 3 down LB. 

Totally agree but Morrows cap hit is $3.2m which is a lot for a backup. We only have $3m of cap room I think which doesn’t give us much room to make moves if necessary. 

Edited by Dessie