Post Draft/UDFA Transactions

jimkelly02

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think a guy like Roemer is what we need... we don’t need someone to make the team, although I’d like to cut/replace Parker , but we do need someone to at least push him hard.  

I was going to say Curtis Riley but literally didn’t want the grief of explaining myself after already explained myself in the post... someone would just say “Riley Sucks!”.  But a Riley level FS is exactly what we need... ideally for competition and doesn’t make team but also good enough that he’s one of the last cuts and you could bring him back if injuries happened.

I do this thing were i write long posts and lose them cuz I changed windows to look something up.... well i at one point has Clement in my original post.  I just think he’s (oddly enough coming outta Wisc) more of a receiving back then a RB who can give us 120ish hard carries.  I don’t see his best feature: receiving out the backfield being used must due to Jacobs and Richard and Bowden.  I wouldn’t be opposed him him I just really want someone with more power and has proven they can be effective with 120+ carries 

• A guy like Sentral Henderson could be a good vet to bring into the program. Always been a starting RT and fits our mold of huge Tackles as 6'8 344 LB physical specimen. If he is healthy could be a vet to at least scare Parker to step him game up. I'm sure there are other cheap options 
  • Riley was a good coverage safety in 2018 for the Giants, no surprise he struggle last year for us. Our pass rush was inconsistent last year with Ferrell, and Max coming on late. Wirth a better pass rush, he could remerge a good coverage FS. At least worth a camp invite 
  • Probably right about Clement, but he always produced when he got a chance in Philly. 

17 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I just wouldn't give up a draft pick for Williams, there are equal options in free agency. Williams runs hard, and is a NFL player, but isn't a difference maker. I would only trade picks for difference makers. I also think Lamar Miller might be washed, he's coming off a bad injury and wasn't even that good before it. Freeman could fit as 3rd down back, but just seemed like one of the worst starting backs in league last year. Doesn't really run physical, and seems like he lost his juice. 

I think Freeman is washed up as a runner.  Miller’s prolly done or at least a fraction of his old self, Crowell too.

I don’t think we need a dynamic difference maker at RB2... we have Richard + Bowden for that.  I just want someone who can come in for 120+ carries to lighten Jacob’s load.  I’d like someone for GL and 3/4th &1’s, who can catch the ball well enough it isn’t an obvious tell to the defense it’s going to be a run inside / who can substitute in for Jacobs mid-drive without any effect on play call.

Sure he’s not a difference maker, but I’m sorry I don’t subscribe full to your policy of “I don’t take for anyone who isn’t a difference maker”.  I don’t want to trade a 6th for him, I wish we could swap players or sign him outright when released, but I don’t see that happening.  He’s a decent, young RB2 so someone will give up something for him.  I’d much rather spend Have spent a 3rd-4th on a RB this year or so the same thing next year... but At this point in the offseason I’d be willing to chalk up the L and pay the 6th.  You can always get it back if you want trading back 15 spots in the 5th.  I think he’s the best option besides Carlos Hyde, who I’m guessing wants more money then we’ll spend.  

And while Williams isn’t a “difference maker” type of player I feel he would make a relatively moderate difference to our season.  He’d make Jacobs more productive and  handle the hard, tough yards, freeing him up to be used in the passing game.  I think he can give his 130-140 carries, 550-600 yds, 3-5 TDS plus 15-20 catches, 120-160 yds, 1 TD that is all I’m looking for from a RB2 to complement Jacobs, Richard, and Bowden.

27 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:
  • A guy like Sentral Henderson could be a good vet to bring into the program. Always been a starting RT and fits our mold of huge Tackles as 6'8 344 LB physical specimen. If he is healthy could be a vet to at least scare Parker to step him game up. I'm sure there are other cheap options ....

I like Henderson, always have.  He has some high high Hope early at Miami.  He’s the exact type of guy we need... just some cheap good competition.

I don’t love Riley nor hate him.  I’d definitely have him back for competition purposes.

I actually like Clement.  He wasn’t a “power” back at Wisconsin but had some power.  I didn’t watch him a ton but in the little I saw I didn’t think he didnt have enough running skills to effectively carry the load of 100+ carries.

All this really shows that whole narrative “Mayock brought in veteran depth for camp because with shorter preseason we won’t have time to develop young guys.” All he did was sign a bunch of “futures” contracts: CFL players and PS guys.  And it was done prior to covid mostly for the purposes of having bodies at mini camps.  We’re lacking veteran competition as much as everyone else.

That is why it’s starting to become troubling that he wasted the UDFA signings.  Nick Bowers will go down in Raider infamy.  What a joke!  It’s not a big loss (other than depth on the PS with guys you had in TC) if he cuts these young scrubs and brings in veteran depth.  But without a mini camp I question if that is the plan.  Why sign guys only to cut them (and know/plan your going to do it) prior to ever seeing them in a mini camp or TC.  I fear we’re going to go into camp without much veteran depth.  I think we will sign a few guys, but the chances of us cutting 10-14 on these scrubs for veteran depth is low (we have to cut like 4ish already before signing all draft picks.

Edited by jimkelly02

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Remember last year after the draft people were hyping up Coney 😂😂😂

He had a pretty decent grade from most of the media heading into the draft. I was hopeful he'd at least be a depth guy but he's not a better thumper than Lee or better in coverage in Morrow so there's not really a spot for him here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He had a pretty decent grade from most of the media heading into the draft. I was hopeful he'd at least be a depth guy but he's not a better thumper than Lee or better in coverage in Morrow so there's not really a spot for him here. 

I wasn’t expecting him to be Ray Lewis, but Coney seemed like a worthy UDFA at the time. He must really suck or something, he didn’t even really get on the field last preseason. 

4 hours ago, massraider said:

I wonder if cutting Butler means they wanna give that Penn State kid a good look.  

Nick Bowers is such a bum it’s even funny.  It’s sad we even signed him to the team let alone have him $50k SB and guaranteed 50k of his salary.

then again William stanback got a 50k workout bonus and 25k SB, Nick Usher for a 25k SB

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1