Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

RaidersAreOne

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, pretty much. Could be a dynamic player when a play goes off script, where he could open up passing lanes by running around laterally behind the LOS, but if you contain him and make him play in the pocket and maintain the script of a play, you'll get some pretty disasterous results. 

The Saints and Texans made him play in a phone booth. It did not go well.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 6:38 PM, ET80 said:

I'm going to say that there's going to be a legitimate QB competetion in Chicago this season between Trubisky and Nick Foles. I actually think Foles will win the starting job, too.

If a team with a young QB (drafted high in the last three years) gets the #1 pick in 2021, look for Chicago to offer up a Tunsil-esque offer to get into that spot. Chicago will be looking at Trevor or Fields, regardless of where they are picking in the draft.

The team has explicitly stated there will be an open competition for starting QB. They will start out as 1A and 1B. Given that, the bolded statement is about as controversial as expecting rain somewhere in the US in the next two months. The scenarios wherein Foles does not win the starting job by game 4 are tough for me to imagine. I would say, in order of likeliness, Covid-19 panic forcing teams to skip or severely truncate OTA's, injury (of course), and in distant last place: Trubisky sustaining a level of play he has yet to ever show us he is capable of.

I've watched this team my whole life and have never seen a QB set up for success the way they have with Tru. To say that the results have been underwhelming is an understatement on the same level as expecting Foles to win the starting QB competition. :D

I don't know about that second paragraph. We haven't had a first round pick in 2 years due to the Mack trade, and I just don't see how you let Pace expend that kind of draft capital on another QB project.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, incognito_man said:

Foles would win the competition with his eyes closed IMO. No reason the team needs to give Trubisky the inside track at this point, either. Foles is their day one starter if we have a day 1.

Agreed. I wouldn't make much of the 'inside track' given to Trubisky though. I would think of it more as a professional courtesy to your existing starter that the job is his to lose. Like a tiebreaker. The reality is it will be better for Pace and Nagy if Trubisky plays convincingly well. But if (when) he can't, they have to have a plan B in place.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, candyman93 said:

How many GMs have survived after whiffing on drafting a QB?

Pace won't necessarily be fired for this. He's done enough good things that he is probably better than the last several GM's we have had.

But when his time here is done, this will be the thing he is remembered for. No way to live down trading up to pick Trubisky over Watson/Mahomes.

No way.

Edited by ForteOz
enough good = good enough
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Also, for what it's worth, I believe that Minshew is better than Keenum, and I'd certainly rather have Minshew than Trubisky. I really like Minshew; there's plenty of proof that you can win with a Minshew-type QB in the NFL if you're willing to actually build around him. He can be an uncorked Alex Smith with a SLIGHTLY worse arm, really. Or a fun version of Andy Dalton. 

It seemed to me that Minshew's arm is better than Smith's. Also--I don't think we know what Minshew is yet. He could end up being REALLY good. If not, the Jaguars will painlessly move on...

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd argue he COULD be a Tony Romo - the king of escaping and going off script. 

Right now, I see Keenum.

Keenum as a rookie on a disintegrating team? O.o

5 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The Saints and Texans made him play in a phone booth. It did not go well.

Overall, I suppose you're right. Happened other times and he did okay. I'm assuming he didn't get starter's reps in training camp though, right?

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

There are some things I'm very thankful for every day.

One of them is the Bears passing up on Mahomes AND Watson for Mitch Trubisky.

FTFY. :D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Keenum as a rookie on a disintegrating team?

Remind me what sort of team Keenum was on as a rookie? 

(The 2-14 Texans, which was basically Thanos snapped into dust...)

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

There are some things I'm very thankful for every day.

One of them is the Bears passing up on Mahomes for Mitch Trubisky.

ehh, I doubt Mahomes develops in Chicago like he did in KC. I bet Trubisky would be better in a scheme like what Shanny runs of Stef runs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

ehh, I doubt Mahomes develops in Chicago like he did in KC. I bet Trubisky would be better in a scheme like what Shanny runs of Stef runs

He probably would start doing pretty good once Nagy got in there. 

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You're parsing, now. C'mon...

I'm basing it on what I saw in two matchups vs the Texans - game 1 he was wheeling and dealing outside the pocket, making things happen when a play was close to dead. 2nd game, the Texans made a concerted effort to constrict the pocket vs collapsing it, and you saw some ugly, ugly, UGLY plays. 

It wasn't a great gameplan executed by a great defense (it's a defense that was rocked by Jacoby Brissett, Drew Lock and beaten by Kyle Allen, actually - so it's a below average defense). Minshew was lost against it in that 2nd game, and that was when the Jags were still in the playoff hunt, so it wasn't like it was off the rails yet (Jags were 4-4 going into that game, Texans were 5-3 - the Jags season was still intact, so I'm not buying this "disintegrated" angle either).

Take my opinion for what it's worth, but those 8 quarters were telling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

He probably would start doing pretty good once Nagy got in there. 

How do we know that? KC has a better surrounding cast and Mahomes had a chance to sit behind a good vet QB. I don’t think Nagy is making that big of an impact