Bears not picking up fifth-year option on QB Mitch Trubisky

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Wow - they swapped 1st round picks - then traded 2 3rd round and a 4th round pick - all to move up one spot to select Trubisky. Now they are not picking up his 5th year option. And now - they have to burn another high draft choice on a QB.

Those are the kind of decisions that are career enders for coaches and GMs.

Those picks:

Fred Warner

Alvin Kamara

Tedric Thompson (which could have been Eddie Jackson but instead they had to trade more picks to get back into a spot to draft Jackson, though neither of those picks amounted to much unless you believe Josh Reynolds is about to break out)

I know that who were picked in those spots don't mean much. After all, the bears probably would have gone in a different direction with their selections. But damn, they don't help the optics

• Like 2

I'm going to say that there's going to be a legitimate QB competetion in Chicago this season between Trubisky and Nick Foles. I actually think Foles will win the starting job, too.

If a team with a young QB (drafted high in the last three years) gets the #1 pick in 2021, look for Chicago to offer up a Tunsil-esque offer to get into that spot. Chicago will be looking at Trevor or Fields, regardless of where they are picking in the draft.

The combination of Pace whiffing on a high pick on a QB and also trading half of the first round picks while your QB was cheap for a defensive player who is good enough to keep you out of the range where you can draft another high quality QB prospect should probably do him him.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The combination of Pace whiffing on a high pick on a QB and also trading half of the first round picks while your QB was cheap for a defensive player who is good enough to keep you out of the range where you can draft another high quality QB prospect should probably do him him.

Yeah, but they had faith still in Trubisky when they made the Mack deal. I'm not trying to defend Pace, but it was unclear at the start of the 2018 season if Trubisky was good or bad... They waged that he was good and the decision backfired miserably.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm going to say that there's going to be a legitimate QB competetion in Chicago this season between Trubisky and Nick Foles. I actually think Foles will win the starting job, too.

If a team with a young QB (drafted high in the last three years) gets the #1 pick in 2021, look for Chicago to offer up a Tunsil-esque offer to get into that spot. Chicago will be looking at Trevor or Fields, regardless of where they are picking in the draft.

Foles would win the competition with his eyes closed IMO. No reason the team needs to give Trubisky the inside track at this point, either. Foles is their day one starter if we have a day 1.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Foles would win the competition with his eyes closed IMO. No reason the team needs to give Trubisky the inside track at this point, either. Foles is their day one starter if we have a day 1.

I don't know. Guys mature and the "light turns on" at different rates. Sure, the odds of Trubs suddenly turning into Mahomes or Watson is very slim, but it's possible he puts it all together and turns into a competent QB.

He's had some good moments out there, he's just wildly inconsistent from drive to drive. That's not good, but it's not the death rattle for a QB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't know. Guys mature and the "light turns on" at different rates. Sure, the odds of Trubs suddenly turning into Mahomes or Watson is very slim, but it's possible he puts it all together and turns into a competent QB.

He's had some good moments out there, he's just wildly inconsistent from drive to drive. That's not good, but it's not the death rattle for a QB.

I'll never bet against BDN.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'll never bet against BDN.

Oh, I did and I won big on that. I can't take a guy seriously if they're losing snaps to Case Keenum with a Fu Manchu...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Those picks:

Fred Warner

Alvin Kamara

Tedric Thompson (which could have been Eddie Jackson but instead they had to trade more picks to get back into a spot to draft Jackson, though neither of those picks amounted to much unless you believe Josh Reynolds is about to break out)

I know that who were picked in those spots don't mean much. After all, the bears probably would have gone in a different direction with their selections. But damn, they don't help the optics

Hindsight is 20/20 but if we’d retained our picks it wouldn’t have been Alvin. It would’ve been some DII corner no ones heard of that wouldn’t be in the league right now. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Foles would win the competition with his eyes closed IMO. No reason the team needs to give Trubisky the inside track at this point, either. 

There is no good reason to give Trubisky that, I agree. They're giving it to him anyway...

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I did and I won big on that. I can't take a guy seriously if they're losing snaps to Case Keenum with a Fu Manchu...

That's your take on Minshew? For around half of his rookie season, on a team that was falling apart? Case Keenum? 

Smart to at least not double-down on the Trubisky mistake.  Have to imagine he's going to have an extremely short leash this year before they turn the team over to Foles.  You really don't want to be on the hook paying 5th year option money like that to a guy who lost his job.  The only thing worse than that...is one-upping the "5th year option", and being stuck with even more additional years and dead money on a guy who has lost his job - as the Jaguars did with Bortles.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, candyman93 said:

How many GMs have survived after whiffing on drafting a QB?

Bruce Allen traded a 2nd for the dinosaur body of Donovan McNabb, traded 3 firsts and a 2nd for RG3 and let Kirk Cousins walk for nothing and still didn’t get fired.

• Like 2