Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

Here is the "What I Would Do Mock" from 2017

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587436

1[3] QB Deshaun Watson [Clemson] 6'2" 221lbs, 4.66 [40], 32.5" vert, 9'9" broad

I would pick a QB at 3. I know they all have rough edges and issues, but they all have exceptional physical tools and in the case of Watson he also has intangibles and an IT factor that is undeniable. I realize it is going to be difficult to now have the 3rd overall pick on the field, ex White, Kevin, but the long term health of this franchise is tied to finding a franchise QB that can "left the program." After almost a decade of Cutler I am willing to take some risk on a guy that plays big in the big moments and who lifted the Clemson program.

I understand the knocks on Watson. He plays in a simple offense, he has mechanical issues to work on, and he threw way too many interceptions. I fully acknowledge that those things exist and that they are going to require coaching, they are going to require technique work, and they are going to require experience and development. I am willing to bet on Watson's work ethic and ability to learn and develop, because the things that he does you simply cannot team.

This team needs a breath of fresh air, they need someone who can inspire the team and the fan base, and they need to desperately to start the process of developing their own franchise QB and not making the same mistakes of the Cutler era.

Watson may bust. He may never be more than a taller Tyrod Taylor, but to me it is better to swing and miss than to leave the bat on your shoulder and walk back to the dug out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace went all in on Trubisky, going all in was the right move, he picked the wrong QB and he does not get a pass for that.

What always gets me is that so many people are STILL acting like the trade up was a massive deal. I think it was shortly before the draft (THIS year's draft, mind you) that Wilbon was spouting off about how Pace "sold the farm" to get Trubisky. Yeesh.

Pace doesn't get a pass for picking the wrong guy in my book, but he may well sort of get one in the McCaskey's, and that's the tome that really matters. Why he didn't get a QB in the draft, or even an UDFA, is really puzzling. 

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What always gets me is that so many people are STILL acting like the trade up was a massive deal. I think it was shortly before the draft (THIS year's draft, mind you) that Wilbon was spouting off about how Pace "sold the farm" to get Trubisky. Yeesh.

Pace doesn't get a pass for picking the wrong guy in my book, but he may well sort of get one in the McCaskey's, and that's the tome that really matters. Why he didn't get a QB in the draft, or even an UDFA, is really puzzling. 

I am being consistent with what I said then.

The QB pick should determine whether Pace retains his job or not. He went all in, whether he picked at 2 or 3, and he missed.

Edited by WindyCity

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I guess what they're saying is that Pace saw enough tape on Watson to determine he wasn't their guy so then why bother courting him if they absolutely knew they wouldn't be drafting him?

As if a dinner or meeting with him would have changed their mind.  It's a stupid discussion really.  

If you want to argue whether it was stupid for Pace not to have Watson ranked higher than Trubisky then that's a legit conversation but the former would be the same as arguing why the Jags didn't wine and dine Dalvin Cook fully knowing they were not going to draft him because they knew thay they'd get either Fournette or McCaffrey, two guys they had ranked higher than Cook.

If you do not do the full job on all of them it leads to confirmation bias.

What you are describing is confirmation bias. You know the answer you want therefor you do not explore all options with the same energy or open mindedness. That is an issue. If you wanted Mitch to be the guy and because of that did not allow Watson the chance to impress you with his Camry and reservation making skills.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am being consistent with what I said then.

The QB pick should determine whether Pace retains his job or not.

I am not debating whether you are maintaining consistency. I was around here back at the time of that draft, and remembered you as being a fellow Watson hopeful.

Your point of view is, obviously, that Pace should have been removed already. While I'm not personally willing to give him an all-out mulligan on Trubisky (as the McCaskeys may be), I am totally content with giving him this season to see how things go, in spite of how disappointed I was with the draft. I also have the feeling that one of the quarterback reclamation projects (most likely Foles) will work out. 

Edited by Heinz D.

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Perfect example case #2:

Meanwhile, back in 2017 you were singing an entirely different tune. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21477213#21477213

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=588297

I have no issue with the trade up, I have no issue with picking a QB. I said the entire pre draft process that they need to pick a QB and picking a defensive player was pointless.

The stupid part was picking the worst QB.

I am not sure what you are struggling to get about that? 

My tune has not changed. I have been consistent from the start that if he missed this shot at QB that he should be fired. Almost all of us said at the time that Pace tied himself to Trubisky and that they would sink or swim together.

Now, because of one season where we went one and done in the playoffs, everyone wants to give Pace another chance.

#readingisfundamental

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I am not debating whether you are maintaining consistency. I was around here back at the time of that draft, and remembered you as a being fellow Watson hopeful.

Your point of view is, obviously, that Pace should have been removed already. While I'm not personally willing to give him an all-out mulligan on Trubisky (as the McCaskeys may be), I am totally content with giving him this season to see how things go, in spite of how disappointed I was with the draft. I also have the feeling that one of the quarterback reclamation projects (most likely Foles) will work out. 

I am at this point with giving Pace another year. If the team is good, which I have serious doubts about based on the offense, then he is welcome to stick around.

But if Trubisky is a Gabbert level bust, and not starting in year 4 is pretty much reserved for Gabbert, Weeden, and Manziel, that is an all time draft miss and there should be consequences for that.

But if Trubisky is a Gabbert level bust, and not starting in year 4 is pretty much reserved for Gabbert, Weeden, and Manziel, that is an all time draft miss and there should be consequences for that.

I don't think Trubisky will be a Gabbert level bust, as Gabbert isn't even a very good backup, and Trubisky is at least that. And Manziel can't really be in the conversation as he was an utter disaster.  I'm not sure what sort of consequences you have in mind, though. If one of the quarterbacks ends up playing well, and the Bears make the playoffs...I mean, what do you do then? Can't really do anything other than bring Pace back, right? 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think Trubisky will be a Gabbert level bust, as Gabbert isn't even a very good backup, and Trubisky is at least that. And Manziel can't really be in the conversation as he was an utter disaster.  I'm not sure what sort of consequences you have in mind, though. If one of the quarterbacks ends up playing well, and the Bears make the playoffs...I mean, what do you do then? Can't really do anything other than bring Pace back, right? 

If they make the playoffs his job is safe, that will mean one of the QB picks worked out.

QBs that were benched before year 4

Gabbert 

Ponder

Manziel

Weeden

Paxton Lynch

EJ Manuel

Being outright replaced in year 4 of your rookie contract is a pretty insane bust level.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would like to start Mitch so we can give him and Pace one more shot not to be in the Gabbert etc category.

They're going to do everything they can to salvage him. If he ****s the bed, they have a ripcord to bail out the season in Foles.

• Like 1

If they make the playoffs his job is safe, that will mean one of the QB picks worked out.

QBs that were benched before year 4

Gabbert 

Ponder

Manziel

Weeden

Paxton Lynch

EJ Manuel

Being outright replaced in year 4 of your rookie contract is a pretty insane bust level.

Mitch is different beast than all of those guys, except for maybe Weeden. Mitch can, most likely, be at least a capable backup. The majority of those guys were straight up bums.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

They're going to do everything they can to salvage him. If he ****s the bed, they have a ripcord to bail out the season in Foles.

Tell that to Vegas.

They have serious odds on Foles being the starter.

If Nagy goes right to Foles he is putting a pretty big bulls eye on himself if the offense still sucks.