Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

It should be clear to all that Zimmer is going to start Bridgewater next weekend.  Don't think so?  Here's why:

He seems to favor Bridgewater over other QBs due to his longevity on the roster.  That loyalty works well if the player performs at a high level.  Not so much if the player is average. 

Case Keenum has played well, but made two mistakes at the end of the Wash. game.  It didn't cost the game, but Zimmer can use those two INTs as justification to replace Keenum before Keenum has a chance to repeatedly perform as well as he has been ... or better.  IF Keenum continues to play at a high level, Zimmer has no justification to bench him in favor of TB.  So,  Zimmer is going to do a 'Barney Fife' and nip this thing in the bud.

Bridgewater was just activated, and no one, or not many, know(s) how well he will perform in a game.  Practices can be used to justify starting TB, using that info on both QBs.

It is a home game, where many fans will show support for the QB with more time in Minnesota.  And, the recovery from a serious injury also provides the basis for emotional support.

If one assumes that the reason for the offensive success of the 2017 Vikings is an improved OL and the influence of Shurmur, then TB should be able to step in and play as well as Keenum.  Add to that the continued improvement of Diggs and Thielen, and it is likely any decent QB can perform well as a starter.

This anticipated move by Zimmer has the risk of succeeding greatly, failing miserably, or being somewhere in between in terms of wins and losses.  It is a risk Zimmer is willing to take.  I have to assume he's gotten adequate input from Shurmur.  If not, this could turn out to be another one of those classic Vikings meltdown disasters.  One thing is clear; no one here knows for certain what will happen; i.e. everything I've read on the last 3 pages is speculation without any meaningful justification.  Only practices can be used to make fair judgements on the matter.    

2 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

It should be clear to all that Zimmer is going to start Bridgewater next weekend.  Don't think so?  Here's why:

He seems to favor Bridgewater over other QBs due to his longevity on the roster.  That loyalty works well if the player performs at a high level.  Not so much if the player is average. 

Case Keenum has played well, but made two mistakes at the end of the Wash. game.  It didn't cost the game, but Zimmer can use those two INTs as justification to replace Keenum before Keenum has a chance to repeatedly perform as well as he has been ... or better.  IF Keenum continues to play at a high level, Zimmer has no justification to bench him in favor of TB.  So,  Zimmer is going to do a 'Barney Fife' and nip this thing in the bud.

Bridgewater was just activated, and no one, or not many, know(s) how well he will perform in a game.  Practices can be used to justify starting TB, using that info on both QBs.

It is a home game, where many fans will show support for the QB with more time in Minnesota.  And, the recovery from a serious injury also provides the basis for emotional support.

If one assumes that the reason for the offensive success of the 2017 Vikings is an improved OL and the influence of Shurmur, then TB should be able to step in and play as well as Keenum.  Add to that the continued improvement of Diggs and Thielen, and it is likely any decent QB can perform well as a starter.

This anticipated move by Zimmer has the risk of succeeding greatly, failing miserably, or being somewhere in between in terms of wins and losses.  It is a risk Zimmer is willing to take.  I have to assume he's gotten adequate input from Shurmur.  If not, this could turn out to be another one of those classic Vikings meltdown disasters.  One thing is clear; no one here knows for certain what will happen; i.e. everything I've read on the last 3 pages is speculation without any meaningful justification.  Only practices can be used to make fair judgements on the matter.    

He'll start Keenum this weekend and Thanksgiving. I think Teddy starts after the long break between games.

There’s also no reason that the team couldn’t go back to Keenum if Bridgewater struggles. 

I truly believe that the team is in a position, that no matter what the decision, neither choice will divide the locker room (a usual side effect of QB controversies). This team has such a deep love and respect for Bridgewater, he’s the leader of the team, etc. And what Keenum has done has also built the team’s respect for him. 

Its a rare situation, but one that I don’t think has a wrong choice. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s also no reason that the team couldn’t go back to Keenum if Bridgewater struggles. 

They did it when Bradford was pulled. I think Teddy starts against the Rams. Best to make the move now then wait a few weeks. Teddy needs to build some momentum. 

The energy of this game at home would be perfect.

7 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

One thing is clear; no one here knows for certain what will happen; i.e. everything I've read on the last 3 pages is speculation without any meaningful justification. 

it's what a fan based discussion board does. the members speculate.

51 minutes ago, milanb said:

I don't see the Vikings starting Teddy unless Shaggy gets hurt or really struggles for three games in a row or something.

Exactly.  Right now there is no point to start Bridgewater.    You wait for the team to struggle (which hopefully doesn't happen) and then you bring Bridgewater in to be the savior for the season.    You bring Bridgewater in the week and he struggles and we lose, then that goes back to the coach.   You keep Keenum in and he struggles, then the coach says OK, it's time to make the move over to Bridgewater.  The coach looks bad in the first scenario, and does not look bad in the 2nd one.  Risk management....I see Zimmer going with the less risky option for now. 

I think it could work in favor of the Vikings to not play him. If there is no tape and no reason to suggest Teddy isn't any better than he was 2 years ago, that'll drive down his price. 

Also, if they show that they can win with Case, there is no leverage for Teddy to get big money. 

Ideal situation is they sign both Case and Teddy to 2-3 year, $5-8M/year deals and let them compete.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I truly believe that the team is in a position, that no matter what the decision, neither choice will divide the locker room (a usual side effect of QB controversies). This team has such a deep love and respect for Bridgewater, he’s the leader of the team, etc. And what Keenum has done has also built the team’s respect for him. 

Its a rare situation, but one that I don’t think has a wrong choice. 

Good point. This is why I see no problem with going with Teddy. From what i've been hearing, he has been solid in practice. If he stinks it up, Case can do his job and be a reliever. 

Listing the stats of a second year player playing in an antiquated offense with inferior talent and comparing them to those of a career backup having a career year surrounded by the best supporting cast he's ever had is far from unbiased.

Additionally, which "film" supports Keenum playing better than Teddy? Because what I think the tape shows is a 22/23 year old starting to become a leader and show his talent despite a less than ideal scenario, while Keenum has shown that he is still making the same silly throws and getting lucky more often than not, while benefiting from players making him look a lot better than than he's actually been performing. There are plenty of film breakdowns out there on the interwebs to support that as well.

1 hour ago, milanb said:

I don't see the Vikings starting Teddy unless Shaggy gets hurt or really struggles for three games in a row or something.

I don’t think the leash is that long. Regardless of whether you agree with it, I do think Zimmer wants Teddy to start eventually. 

I can’t imagine he would pull Keenum on a winning streak, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the leash was as short as 1 bad game, and I’d be shocked if it took 3 games.

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I think it could work in favor of the Vikings to not play him. If there is no tape and no reason to suggest Teddy isn't any better than he was 2 years ago, that'll drive down his price. 

Also, if they show that they can win with Case, there is no leverage for Teddy to get big money. 

Ideal situation is they sign both Case and Teddy to 2-3 year, $5-8M/year deals and let them compete.

I don't think signing 2 QBs to compete for the job is the way it will unfold. Some team will offer one of our 3 (!!!) QB big money that we won't want to match.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

While I think best situation would be to resign both Teddy and Case, $5-8M/year seems really really low, at least for Teddy. Glennon got way more than that, and he is a far less superior talent than either TB or CK. The more games that Case strings together without imploding or causing a loss is only going to drive his stock up for the offseason. With how QB needy this league is, I could absolutely see a team shelling out low end QB1 money for Keenum to be a bridge starter while they develop a rookie. The Browns, Jets, Giants (depending on what happens with Eli), Indy (depending on what happens with Luck), etc etc... one of those teams surely will gamble bigger money on a shorter contract in the hopes that Keenum can be as good a starter he has been for us this year. Unless Keenum decides that he likes MN, this team, and doesn't want to move his family, resulting in a discount, he will probably cash in elsewhere after the season is over. Teddy, dependent on play this year, probably will see 14-18 on a shorter deal just to make sure the knee can stay healthy before he gets a big payday.

Archived