AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

Lol. I can’t believe people are letting themselves get fooled by Nick Foles. Again. He’s better than Bortles, but I’m thrilled that they’d go with Foles rather than drafting someone that could actually be an above average quarterback.

Assuming they don’t get Alshon to come to Jacksonville and bail out Foles repeatedly. If they do, I’ll start to worry.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Lol. I can’t believe people are letting themselves get fooled by Nick Foles. Again. He’s better than Bortles, but I’m thrilled that they’d go with Foles rather than drafting someone that could actually be an above average quarterback.

Assuming they don’t get Alshon to come to Jacksonville and bail out Foles repeatedly. If they do, I’ll start to worry.

whatever gives people the chance to rip on Marcus. 

• Like 1

3, 5, 3, 12, 5

That's the Jags win totals the past 5 seasons.  Statisticians typically refer to that 12 as the outlier... not the norm or the expectation. 

The Raiders had a similar (actually even better) trajectory... 4, 3, 7, 12, 6, 4...

A career backup QB isn't going to push them over the edge.  I predicted their fall this past year based on the fact that their offense was not good, and the fact that their defense would not be able to replicate their health and success from 2017.  The D were still good, but took a step back.  With the cap crunch and moves being made, their defense is not likely to rebound to or near to their 2017 level... in fact, a slight step back could be reasonably expected. 

Even if they push a portion of Bortles dead hit to 2020, they carry 11.5M in dead weight from his contract this year.  (And push 9.5M that they'll carry for him in 2020).  They'll have to get creative with Foles' contract, meaning a lot of his pay this year will be in terms of SB.  Ultimately, he'll probably get an effective contract of at least 20M AAV.  With those other 20M they have to carry for Bortles the next 2 years, it just doesn't leave them with too much wiggle room to make a significant signing to help Foles.  They might improve... but 6/7 wins looks like an optimistic but reasonable expectation for them.  4/5 wins wouldn't be completely unexpected however. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

3, 5, 3, 12, 5

That's the Jags win totals the past 5 seasons.  Statisticians typically refer to that 12 as the outlier... not the norm or the expectation. 

The Raiders had a similar (actually even better) trajectory... 4, 3, 7, 12, 6, 4...

A career backup QB isn't going to push them over the edge.  I predicted their fall this past year based on the fact that their offense was not good, and the fact that their defense would not be able to replicate their health and success from 2017.  The D were still good, but took a step back.  With the cap crunch and moves being made, their defense is not likely to rebound to or near to their 2017 level... in fact, a slight step back could be reasonably expected. 

Even if they push a portion of Bortles dead hit to 2020, they carry 11.5M in dead weight from his contract this year.  (And push 9.5M that they'll carry for him in 2020).  They'll have to get creative with Foles' contract, meaning a lot of his pay this year will be in terms of SB.  Ultimately, he'll probably get an effective contract of at least 20M AAV.  With those other 20M they have to carry for Bortles the next 2 years, it just doesn't leave them with too much wiggle room to make a significant signing to help Foles.  They might improve... but 6/7 wins looks like an optimistic but reasonable expectation for them.  4/5 wins wouldn't be completely unexpected however. 

Seriously! The Jags suck and had one nice year. They were never "one player away" from winning a Super Bowl. No team ever is...you need to build and stack seasons.

Every year or so there's a team that looks great and is "one player" away from winning a Super Bowl. Guess what happens when the get that player? They don't win a Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

3, 5, 3, 12, 5

I'm with you. I didn't think their defense could do what they did again and they didn't. Sacks and turnovers are tricky year to year. Hard to replicate.  The defense took a step back and team chemistry took a hit.

They can absolutely rebound, just like any team. But, I don't think they are just some powerhouse to make us be in last place.  You can even argue that the Texans aren't a lock for 2nd place, considering the amount of games they won with a lucky bounce of the ball or call.  

The Colts are the only team I legit feel have a claim to say they are the best in the AFC South. I don't think they will replicate their offensive line performance, but they have enough in place to win the division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I'm with you. I didn't think their defense could do what they did again and they didn't. Sacks and turnovers are tricky year to year. Hard to replicate.  The defense took a step back and team chemistry took a hit.

They can absolutely rebound, just like any team. But, I don't think they are just some powerhouse to make us be in last place.  You can even argue that the Texans aren't a lock for 2nd place, considering the amount of games they won with a lucky bounce of the ball or call.  

The Colts are the only team I legit feel have a claim to say they are the best in the AFC South. I don't think they will replicate their offensive line performance, but they have enough in place to win the division. 

The Colts definitely have the look and feel of a good team.  It's what an elite QB does.  Since he's been on the team, Indy is 53-33 when Luck starts... 10-16 when he doesn't.  It's insane.

I just don't know where I see regression on their team.  Especially not with over $100M in cap space.  Chemistry could be an issue that holds them back from making a big leap.

I think we have the better team, and with a few good pieces in the right spots, we can overtake them... but as long as Luck stays healthy, they're going to be good.

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Lol Foles better be careful. He wasn’t great outside of Philadelphia and won’t have nearly as much weapons. If I were the Jags I still wouldn’t rule out taking a QB in this draft 

The only thing Foles needs to be careful of is getting arrested for how much money he's stealing from the Jags with that contract 😂😂

Edited by Titansfan_13
punctuation