AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

12 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yep although this team is sure to disappoint against an inferior opponent at some point especially in the division.

We haven't been plus .500 within the division since that 08 season. The first six weeks will tell a lot, since 3 of our first 6 games are within the division.

It's simple. We take care of our division games, we better our chances of making the playoffs.

This is a big year for us against the AFC south. A few thoughts I have about each team.

Texans have a good team. Question mark at QB still makes me think we edge them out. But the defense is nasty. And Im a big Watson. Footwork needs work. But he can make plays with his legs and has the "It" factor when the lights come on. Gonna take him a couple years but I think he turns into a solid QB. 

WE HAVE TO BEAT THE COLTS. Like enough is enough. I have nothing else to say lol.

And then we have the jags who I think will be better then most are saying. Blake is a mess right now but still has talent. They have bruising RBs and playmaking WRs. And Ramsey is a legit shut down corner. Everyone says this every year but man if they put it together they have the talent to do big things. I feel like we split with them again.

Overall I think the afc south is the worst division in football talk will end this year. TBH I could see two teams making it from the south. Its a stretch but I could see it.

ALL that being said... We have the most complete team in the division. Most will say Luck is better but IMO we have the best QB in the south. A great running game and a rising defense AND one of the biggest things I think we added this year is legit return game.. Better field position will do wonders for us. It could win us some games this year. IM SO EXCITED LOL 

57 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

This is a big year for us against the AFC south. A few thoughts I have about each team.

Texans have a good team. Question mark at QB still makes me think we edge them out. But the defense is nasty. And Im a big Watson. Footwork needs work. But he can make plays with his legs and has the "It" factor when the lights come on. Gonna take him a couple years but I think he turns into a solid QB. 

WE HAVE TO BEAT THE COLTS. Like enough is enough. I have nothing else to say lol.

And then we have the jags who I think will be better then most are saying. Blake is a mess right now but still has talent. They have bruising RBs and playmaking WRs. And Ramsey is a legit shut down corner. Everyone says this every year but man if they put it together they have the talent to do big things. I feel like we split with them again.

Overall I think the afc south is the worst division in football talk will end this year. TBH I could see two teams making it from the south. Its a stretch but I could see it.

ALL that being said... We have the most complete team in the division. Most will say Luck is better but IMO we have the best QB in the south. A great running game and a rising defense AND one of the biggest things I think we added this year is legit return game.. Better field position will do wonders for us. It could win us some games this year. IM SO EXCITED LOL 

Blakes throwing motion and messy footwork just isn't going to ever allow him to get over the hump imo. 

At RB it's pretty much just Fournette and Grant (both whom I really like of course), but considering the lack of run blocking from the OL I'm not really sure how either of these guys are going to get much of a chance. Things can change, as we had TERRIBLE run blocking last year and all the sudden right around Wk 10/11 a light flicked on and we were actually able to run it. ARob/Lee/Hurns/Dede etc. is nice but again, Bortles hasn't shown great consistency on being able to actually give them much of a chance on multiple occassions dating back to the beginning of the regular season last year pretty much. Finally, defensively there is plenty of talent but our biggest flaw happens to be the biggest importance on defense, edge rush. We just don't have it. Ngakoue is awesome but he isn't a guy that is going to be getting pressure constantly/the de facto #1 type you want to have. He's a good 2nd pass rusher that should get 8-12 sacks a season but he just doesn't have that consistent pressure like a Mack/Von/Houston etc.

I think this team goes anywhere from 3-13 to 7-9 depending on OL play. If the OL blocks well enough for Fournette to be leaned on and Blake not having to chuck it 40 times a game causing a ton of room for error we could be pretty competitive but the OL has to play miles better than it has this preseason.

IMO it'll be you and HOU as the two most likely teams to take the division this year. I think you guys will get it though. I don't have nearly enough confidence in Houston's QB play.

Edited by .Buzz

If I had to rank the 3 other teams, it's Texans, Colts, and then the Jags.

Texans - I think their defense will be pretty damn good again. Getting Watt back is great but back injuries can linger.  Bouye is a loss whether they want to admit it or not. They have some solid players at CB though so it shouldn't affect them too much.  OL looks below average, TE is blah, RB is going to be damn good with both Miller and Foreman, WR will be pretty good but losing Strong(blah) and Fuller could hurt some.  Obviously it comes down to QB for them and I believe Watson will eventually take over. Savage doesn't scare anyone and Watson may need time to develop but I think he could be a pretty solid QB in this league.  Should've beaten them twice last year if our SPT wasn't garbage.

Colts - Easily the least talented team in the division.  They have some good players but it's basically Luck or bust. If he's not healthy, they'd be lucky to win 2 games all season.  They have some talent outside of him and I think Hooker was a good pick for them but the talent on that team is pretty horrible.  Ridiculous that the Titans have had so much trouble with them.

Jags - THE OFFSEASON CHAMPS!!! Bortles is trash, I wasn't high on Fournette, and their OL is pretty terrible.  They have plenty to like on defense though. My favorite prospect(Ramsey) from last years draft unfortunately went to Jacksonville. Ramsey will be a top 5 CB sooner rather than later. Bouye was a top 5 CB last year. Jackson, Campbell, and Smith and are very good players. One of my favorite prospects from last years draft Ngakoue is turning into a pretty good player. They have two very good WRs in Robinson and Hurns and likely another good one Westbrook but that's all for nothing until they fix the QB and OL situation.  Sadly, we'll still probably split with them.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

NFL teams don't have to tell the media **** so I don't really care.

Yeah, just lie to your fanbase. That's fine.

I'd much rather just have a coach refuse to answer a question than tell me that he hasn't seen his quarterback throw in eight months. Because that statement just makes him look incompetent.

• Like 1

Just now, titans0021 said:

That would probably be my favorite thing lol.

Isn't Ryan Grigson part of the Browns staff now? If so, you know - put in a call, see if he can get a 6th for his backup QB with starting experience.

I'd be laughing so hard I'd cry. 

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

Didn't mean to turn this into me talking to myself about Andrew Luck, but oh well:

Seriously, the Colts have just spent the last few months lying about Andrew Luck at every turn. 

My buddies and I were talking about Luck - 10 years from now, this is going to make a great "30 For 30".

Just the overall mismanagement of the best football prospect in the last two decades - from completely missing on FA and draft picks to bungling his shoulder injury to the point to where nobody knows when he's returning. 

2nd question we discussed - what is the butterfly effect if Luck declared a year earlier and went #1 to the Carolina Panthers? What happens to Cam? How does that 2011 draft (arguably the best draft we've ever seen) play out?

If I recall correctly, the 2nd QB off the board was one Jake Locker. What would the Titans look like with Cam instead? One thing we did determine is that Aldon Smith falls - right to 11, where the Texans were. Rick Smith was all about Smith, and apparently had Aldon ahead of JJ Watt on his big board. 

The thought of that? Makes me sad.

12 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Just the overall mismanagement of the best football prospect in the last two decades - from completely missing on FA and draft picks to bungling his shoulder injury to the point to where nobody knows when he's returning. 

This part just fascinates me. He injured his shoulder almost two years ago at this point, and they have no timetable for when he's going to play. They spent an entire offseason ensuring the fanbase that he'd be fine and that he'd be ready for camp. And then, when he wasn't ready for camp, that he'd play in the opener. And then, when he probably won't play in the opener, that he at least won't miss the first six games.

At this point, I'm having my doubts that he suits up this year with the Colts lying to their fans at every possible turn about his return.

• Like 1