AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

18 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think the main difference between Ramsey and Finny is that Finny came across as a great guy off the field and a total d-bag on the field. He definitely never had to be "held back" from trying to get into an opponent's locker room while screaming profanities. He didn't call for individual officials to be fired after a game. He didn't repeatedly insult a HOF in a post-game press conference (Steve Smith). 

Basically, Cortland was almost always pretty respectful about his opponents before and after games. He just knew how to get into people's heads during a game. Ramsey just comes across as a self-absorbed jerk (substituting for other, more colorful insults) whenever he's on the field or in front of a camera. 

Obviously I'd love to have him on the team, but he just doesn't strike me as likable at all.

Think you are just looking at headlines and not seeing what he is like otherwise then.

Of course he's confident, he's a 2nd year CB and is already among the best in the league. But he raves about how good WR's he goes up against, single handedly pointed out Antonio Brown being the best guy he's ever had to match up against, etc. Talks about how Hopkins (even though they clearly have bad blood towards each other) is such a rare talent and arguably the best he's had to go against and respects his game and loves having two elite guys go up against each other 1 v 1.

Plus, not sure if you saw it, but pretty much the whole defense (including guys on the sideline) rushed out there before any other Bengals players that I saw after the whole Ramsey debacle. If he was a straight up DBag as you say, I don't think Jack would have went in there and decked AJ after the play and teammates wouldn't have backed Ramsey over and over again in post game interviews.

Edited by .Buzz

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If he was a straight up DBag as you say, I don't think Jack would have went in there and decked AJ after the play and teammates wouldn't have backed Ramsey over and over again in post game interviews.

Meh, the Titans have had their share of bad guys over the years, teammates always have each other's backs. At least if it's a functioning locker room.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think you are just looking at headlines and not seeing what he is like otherwise then.

This is fully possible, I'm obviously not doing any deep digging on Ramsey. But the headlines don't paint a pretty picture. The ref stuff, calling out former college teammates on Twitter, repeatedly going after Steve Smith, all of the talk.

He's a great player though. I've just loved watching Derrick Henry seemingly target him to truck him five or six times in the last year or so.

Just now, titans0021 said:

Meh, the Titans have had their share of bad guys over the years, teammates always have each other's backs. At least if it's a functioning locker room.

This is fully possible, I'm obviously not doing any deep digging on Ramsey. But the headlines don't paint a pretty picture. The ref stuff, calling out former college teammates on Twitter, repeatedly going after Steve Smith, all of the talk.

He's a great player though. I've just loved watching Derrick Henry seemingly target him to truck him five or six times in the last year or so.

The headlines were the exact same for Finny man. lol.

It seriously is pretty much the same situation.

Just now, .Buzz said:

The headlines were the exact same for Finny man. lol.

It seriously is pretty much the same situation.

Not really though. Because the headlines for Finny were pretty much exclusively on-field. Whereas most of the headlines for Ramsey involve him running his mouth off the field. On the field, they're definitely ridiculously similar. Even down to getting tossed around by elite, thought to be mild-mannered receivers lol.

Just now, titans0021 said:

Not really though. Because the headlines for Finny were pretty much exclusively on-field. Whereas most of the headlines for Ramsey involve him running his mouth off the field. On the field, they're definitely ridiculously similar. Even down to getting tossed around by elite, thought to be mild-mannered receivers lol.

You're going to tell me that Finnegan never talked trash post game after the heat of the moment? I'm pretty sure quite a few players do. The headlines have been after this AJ Green debacle and Steve Smith last year.

Finnegan in his retirement quote:

"I have made my share of mistakes and had moments of glory. I even got into a fight in an NFL Game ( he hits like a bish)."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cortland-finnegan-retires-takes-one-more-shot-at-andre-johnson/

This man just took a shot at a guy from years ago in his damn retirement letter.

9 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I think it is pretty funny Ramsey tried to act all tough after the game ended. 

Can't stand that guy. 

Plenty of players have tried to get to the opposing teams locker room to confront a player.

Jalen is an extremely cocky player on the field. That is just who he is. He plays with a swagger. He backs it up on the field, so I don’t care if he chirps all game long.

A couple weeks ago he invited 40 people on twitter to join him for his birthday celebration at Top Golf. He is actually a pretty good kid off the field.

wouldnt trade him for another CB straight up. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I came in here to post how I would actually like to see both the Jags and Titans in the playoffs to give the AFC South a little bit more rep and because I kinda miss the days of the AFC South having at least one wildcard team every year.

Now, I'm not so sure. *glare*

Lol, I've ventured into the Jags forum and seen far more dislike for the Titans than anything said about Ramsey haha.

With that said, I'd like nothing more than for both teams to already have clinched playoff berths in Week 17. I think we can beat the Jags again, but I'm not nearly confident enough to root for a must-win game in Week 17.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

Lol, I've ventured into the Jags forum and seen far more dislike for the Titans than anything said about Ramsey haha.

With that said, I'd like nothing more than for both teams to already have clinched playoff berths in Week 17. I think we can beat the Jags again, but I'm not nearly confident enough to root for a must-win game in Week 17.

Hey. I like Taylor Lewan.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You're going to tell me that Finnegan never talked trash post game after the heat of the moment? I'm pretty sure quite a few players do. The headlines have been after this AJ Green debacle and Steve Smith last year.

Finnegan in his retirement quote:

"I have made my share of mistakes and had moments of glory. I even got into a fight in an NFL Game ( he hits like a bish)."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cortland-finnegan-retires-takes-one-more-shot-at-andre-johnson/

This man just took a shot at a guy from years ago in his damn retirement letter.

Those aren't the only headlines though. 

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Jalen-Ramsey-roasts-former-teammate-John-Franklin-III-47189483

Ramsey was already in the NFL at this point. Calling out a college kid seems to be petty, unnecessary and just stupid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/jaguars-cornerback-jalen-ramsey-says-homer-ref-should-be-fired/

“Specifically I want to call out, I don’t know his name, I don’t really care for it, field judge No. 104, by far the worst official in the NFL. He needs to be fired 100 percent, terrible, terrible, terrible.”

Asked why Shaw might have had issue with him, Ramsey suggested it might have been a family tie.

“[Shaw] may be a kin to Hopkins or something, I don’t know,” the Jaguars cornerback said. “He’s just a homer, I feel like the whole officiating crew they were homers.”

I don't know if I've ever seen a player call out a specific ref, by number, before.

With all of the above said, it's fully possible my memory of Finnegan is ridiculously biased and I've just blanked out some post-game presser stuff. Though I was able to find what he had to say about AJ before the first Titans/Texans game after the fight.

“Regardless if I’m right or wrong,” Finnegan said, “I am going to apologize to get this off my heart. . . . [A fight] is  not going to happen.  I am more concerned about us winning a football game than anything right now. We haven’t done that in awhile, and that is one thing we need to get back to doing.  Retaliation is for the birds.”

I don't know. The final shot seemed more like a joke. Though I could be reading it wrong, it is 6-3, 225 pound guy that ripped his helmet off and punched him in the face multiple times while he didn't make any attempt to fight back. So there may still be a legit grudge.

13 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Hey. I like Taylor Lewan.

I like...ummm...Blake Bortles? He seems like a good guy.

Really though, I have respect for most of the good Jags players. Campbell, Telvin, Jack, etc., etc. I'm going to forever struggle with the fact that we drafted Kevin Dodd over Myles Jack.