AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Well listening to radio, they are calling this division the Jags to lose.

I know the defense has the sexy numbers, but the talking heads on ESPN are very shortsighted.  They saying we can't handle the Jags defense, like we already haven't handled it.  Yes, week 2, but still....we won.

Our defense has done well against offensively challenged or average offense teams. I don't see why we couldn't continue that trend. 
Not saying we can dominate the Jags, but to give it to them outright is kind of insulting.

We have them at home in week 17. If that game ends up worth anything, we should do well.

I’d say it probably is the Jags to lose just based on how easy their remaining schedule is. 

Yeah... they've been winning games more soundly... so they may be going off the sexier pick.  

Our schedules look pretty even though... we go to Pitt and host the Rams... they host the Chargers and Seattle.   We both go to SF and AZ (ours are back to back so we have the luxury/option of staying in the WS and avoid the double trip).  We're @ Indy and host Houston... they host both.  They have a slight advantage of going to Cleveland vs us hosting Cincy... but if Green doesn't play, that seems pretty much a wash.  

If we both go in 9-6 or 8-7, winner obviously takes it.  But even if we go in to that game a game behind, we control our destiny.  We win, end up with the same record, and we take it based on head to head.  

I don't care what anybody says... guy has issues... it's not "swagger" or confidence... he's just a DBag...

Jalen Ramsey had to be restrained from going after A.J. Green in the locker room

I don't think he'd be causing all that noise if Security wasn't there to restrain him... classic "tough" guy.  

Although Green was the one who escalated the fight from a shove to a full-blown brawl on the field, Ramsey’s actions afterward are disturbing. The league may need to suspend both players to send a message that those actions won’t be tolerated.

46 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I don't care what anybody says... guy has issues... it's not "swagger" or confidence... he's just a DBag...

Jalen Ramsey had to be restrained from going after A.J. Green in the locker room

I don't think he'd be causing all that noise if Security wasn't there to restrain him... classic "tough" guy.  

oh for sure. he has the maturity level of a spoiled brat 6 year old

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

tenor.gif

Not even going to dive deep into this, I just had to respond after seeing something like that.

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, this is really simple. the guy's a dbag but he's one you'd love to have on your team. same exact deal as finnegan back in the day.

Exactly. I'm not responding to that.

I'm responding to what he said in the bold. No one is disputing that the way Ramsey plays gets under peoples skins/pisses players off (which is what you want to do as a corner to get them off their game, much like what Finny did back in the day). The fact that a Titans fan who has had a player like that on their team is not seeing it baffles me.

Richard Sherman does/did the same thing up in Seattle. Corners/WR's jaw/talk trash all game, some more than others. Jalen happens to be one of the best/top guys at doing it.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Exactly. I'm not responding to that.

I'm responding to what he said in the bold. No one is disputing that the way Ramsey plays gets under peoples skins/pisses players off (which is what you want to do as a corner to get them off their game, much like what Finny did back in the day). The fact that a Titans fan who has had a player like that on their team is not seeing it baffles me.

Richard Sherman does/did the same thing up in Seattle. Corners/WR's jaw/talk trash all game, some more than others. Jalen happens to be one of the best/top guys at doing it.

yeah, to be clear that wasn't meant as a direct response to you, just a comment on this whole discussion

Edited by -Hope-

The Titans are 0-1 against the Jaguars in December games dating back to 2016. Until we prove we can beat them in December, I'm not going to hold my breath and pretend we shouldn't fear them. If we can upset them and win the division, that'll be huge, but we need to prove it first.

Also I know we all love him, but Marcus really needs to step it up. Having a quarterback who has less touchdowns than games played reminds me of Kerry Collins, who couldn't win us a playoff game during our fantastic 13-3 season. We need our offense to step it up, and frankly we haven't really looked impressive the past several weeks. Sure, pointing at the week 2 win vs the Jaguars is nice and dandy, but as the weather gets colder, we need to prove we can still get it done.

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

The Titans are 0-1 against the Jaguars in December games dating back to 2016. Until we prove we can beat them in December, I'm not going to hold my breath and pretend we shouldn't fear them. If we can upset them and win the division, that'll be huge, but we need to prove it first.

This seems largely tongue in cheek, but the series between us has split every year since 2008.

Often one of the teams have been able to beat the other by a sizable amount in one of the games only to still have the season split. Since 2009, games have gone 37-17, 30-13, 30-3, 38-20, 36-22, 38-17 and every single time the other team still won the other game.

You guys put a whoopin’ on us for sure week 2. Stopped our offense, wore down our front 7 and won big. You executed your game plan exactly how you wanted to do so. But these two teams historically have shown that doesn’t really matter.

History doesn’t mean that this Jaguars team is going to beat you in week 17, but it does seriously give pause to the idea that you shouldn’t be worried about how we’ll come out that game. Because winning big over the other team doesn’t really seem to mean a damn thing when predicting the outcome of the other game in a season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, this is really simple. the guy's a dbag but he's one you'd love to have on your team. same exact deal as finnegan back in the day.

I think the main difference between Ramsey and Finny is that Finny came across as a great guy off the field and a total d-bag on the field. He definitely never had to be "held back" from trying to get into an opponent's locker room while screaming profanities. He didn't call for individual officials to be fired after a game. He didn't repeatedly insult a HOF in a post-game press conference (Steve Smith). 

Basically, Cortland was almost always pretty respectful about his opponents before and after games. He just knew how to get into people's heads during a game. Ramsey just comes across as a self-absorbed jerk (substituting for other, more colorful insults) whenever he's on the field or in front of a camera. 

Obviously I'd love to have him on the team, but he just doesn't strike me as likable at all.

And as I look at it more, I think there's a real chance that Week 17 decides nothing more than who hosts the game the next week. I mentioned it yesterday in the GDT I believe, but look at the other AFC Wild Card contenders. The Bills just got blown out by the Jets and have a crazy tough schedule the rest of the way (Patriots 2x, Saints, @Chiefs, @Chargers). I don't believe in the Dolphins and they have a similar schedule to Buffalo. Oakland could turn it around, but again, they play the Patriots, Chiefs, Cowboys, Eagles and Chargers (if they go 2-3 in those games and win the other two easy games on their sked, they're still only 8-8). We both hold tiebreakers over the Ravens and I still refuse to buy totally into the Jets.

Titans, Jaguars, Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore, Oakland, Jets.

Those are all of the potential AFC WIld Card teams with four or more wins. We and the Jaguars have easier schedules than any of them and also have an extra win (outside of Buffalo).