AFC South Discussion Thread

titans0021

6 hours ago, titanrick said:

That's hilarious to me.  There are many teams looking for a QB this offseason.  How many of them are thinking, "If we can get Bortles to take $21M a year, he's our guy!"  I don't believe he'll get anywhere near 5 years.  He had a turnover-free (but statistically uninspiring) run in the playoffs, but he's still the guy that they told to kneel down with 55 seconds and two time-outs left in the NE game.  That came from his coaches who know him best.  How could anyone think he's the answer and commit to him long-term?

They base their figures on similar age contracts, adjust for increased cap space then adjust for statistical performance... Purely mathematical...

But let's not forget Tannehill signed a $77M contract (4 years) and Osweiler got $72M (also 4 years) not too long ago... If those guys can get $19M and $18M per season... You don't think Bottles will get at least that much from some team? Guaranteed money may be small... But I can see him earning 45M over the next 2 seasons in real earnings if the Jags extend him (even if its disguised as a 5 year contract).

6 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

They base their figures on similar age contracts, adjust for increased cap space then adjust for statistical performance... Purely mathematical...

But let's not forget Tannehill signed a $77M contract (4 years) and Osweiler got $72M (also 4 years) not too long ago... If those guys can get $19M and $18M per season... You don't think Bottles will get at least that much from some team? Guaranteed money may be small... But I can see him earning 45M over the next 2 seasons in real earnings if the Jags extend him (even if its disguised as a 5 year contract).

Not sure those are comparable. Tannehill on average is 10x the QB Bortles is. I don't think Tannehill is great but putting Bortles in his class is a huge insult to him. Osweiler got a deal off of potential alone, everyone already knows Bortles sucks.

5 hours ago, TitanSS said:

No way Bortles eclipses 15 million. 

Dont forget... Flacco averages $22+M, Tannehill $19+M, Dalton $16M, Tyrod and Glennon $15+M each.

18 QBs average $15+M... And that doesn't include QBs playing under their rookie contracts. 

Dont be do quick to dismiss what an average QB is worth in the NFL... I just hope it's the Jags that give him that contract...

Edit: There were 21 QBs averaging 15M+ last year... Palmer, Bradford, and Cousins aren't included in the 2018 numbers...

Edited by ragevsuall17

19 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Not sure those are comparable. Tannehill on average is 10x the QB Bortles is. I don't think Tannehill is great but putting Bortles in his class is a huge insult to him. Osweiler got a deal off of potential alone, everyone already knows Bortles sucks.

He's better... But by how much really?Some there are questioning if he's the guy (if hes ever been it), some asking for a QB at 11... 

Regardless, the Jags thought Bortles was worth the $19M option a season ago... even after he regressed. He righted the ship enough to improve statistically and help the team get to the AFCCG... 

8 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Dont forget... Flacco averages $22+M, Tannehill $19+M, Dalton $16M, Tyrod and Glennon $15+M each.

18 QBs average $15+M... And that doesn't include QBs playing under their rookie contracts. 

Dont be do quick to dismiss what an average QB is worth in the NFL... I just hope it's the Jags that give him that contract...

Edit: There were 21 QBs averaging 15M+ last year... Palmer, Bradford, and Cousins aren't included in the 2018 numbers...

Would you really include him with any of those guys? Those are average QBs and until the playoffs when they got him by primarily on short passes, he had been holding the team back badly. They constantly have to scheme around what he cant do.

I consider him more of in the Mark Sanchez category of talent. Any team that pays him 15 million is absurd. He's a backup quality guy who everyone should know by now, isn't going to perform better with a change of scenery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Would you really include him with any of those guys? Those are average QBs and until the playoffs when they got him by primarily on short passes, he had been holding the team back badly. They constantly have to scheme around what he cant do.

I consider him more of in the Mark Sanchez category of talent. Any team that pays him 15 million is absurd. He's a backup quality guy who everyone should know by now, isn't going to perform better with a change of scenery.

I mean I think they all fall in the average category except for Glennon who is garbage.

19 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Eh he did his job this year and managed the game. Sure he’s led by an elite defense and a solid running game but look at the receivers he’s thrown to this year. He had a pretty solid year.

I'm pretty sure I could have a solid year in that offense. 

Well I hope they consider it a solid year too because I'll never worry about them with Bortles at QB. They spent the entire season trying to hide him.

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I'm pretty sure I could have a solid year in that offense. 

Well I hope they consider it a solid year too because I'll never worry about them with Bortles at QB. They spent the entire season trying to hide him.

From a Jags fan that may not even have Blake back next year according to Schefter (their planning to focus on getting someone else), I highly disagree.

He plays in a ground and pound offense, as we should be with our OL situation/Fournette. He pretty much won us the game in SEA, helped get off to the fast start in both PIT/NE and shut the door on PIT when our defense allowed them back in the game, and until our playcalling went deep into conservative mode against NE was balling and was something like 15/18, 155, and a TD in the first half in Foxborough.

Not sure why you want to crucify him because our offensive philosophy behind our HC/OC is running the ball. Just because he isn't asked to put a team on his back doesn't mean he isn't a starting caliber QB that would likely sit in the average QB territory in the league.

There isn't very many QBs that can do what you are expecting from what I gather, at least ones that can bring winning success while doing it. 

Edited by .Buzz

I've seen a number of Jags fans that think Bortles is better than Mariota. I've only seen what I see of him twice a year plus the post-season Bills/Pats games, but I never got average from him.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not expect him to be a starter 3-4 years from now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

How did he win the Seattle game? Your defense kept them scoreless in the first half and picked Wilson off 3 times. Seattle only had 10 points with 10 mins to go in the 4th quarter...

He is going to be their Vince Young. 

"He wins!"   

I think he is the Mularkey of QBs. Not terrible but you could do a lot better. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

He is going to be their Vince Young. 

"He wins!"   

I think he is the Mularkey of QBs. Not terrible but you could do a lot better. 

A lot better.

In today's NFL, if you want to be aconsistent division champion, playoff team, or more, your offense has to go through your QB. I'm not saying you can't run the ball or that you can't run the ball a lot if it's successful, I'm saying running the ball as a form of damage control for you QB will not keep you in the post-season, even with all stars around you.

Everyone in the AFC would be happy if Bortles resigned with the Jags. If he was truly an average QB does anyone think that would be the case? Alex Smith and a couple years ago Andy Dalton were the definition of average. Everyone in the AFC South would say "oh ****" if they signed Alex Smith because they would be able to let the offense play through him. He may not be great and he may not ever win you big games, but you dont have to try to hide him. The offense can go through the QB.

That was why Mularkey was going to suck for his entire career. He couldn't design an offense where the QB was the leader. And we saw what happened in games when Mariota took over as the leader. Points on the scoreboard.